Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/21/2014 11:40:37 AM EDT
Just got back to Virginia (go hokies!) and realized i need a shotgun again for hunting. Took a trip down to Bass Pro and they have the following models all basically within 30 bucks of one another
870 Express with 18, 24 and 26 inch barrels
870 tactical with 18.5 inch
and 870 Express synthetic with 24 and 26 inch barrels

Im not particularly concerned with home defense. This shotgun will be 99% of the time, a hunting arm. So given that, which one should i go with. At first i was thinking the 870 tactical based off the better finish and parts but was told id need a longer barrel for hunting. The 24 and 26 inch Synthetic expresses seem talior built for it but now im being told that there really is no difference in shotgun performance between an 18 and 24 or 26 inch barrel.

So which is it? If im not going to lose any performance id just get the 870 tactical but if i DO need a longer barrel or something that can swap out chokes i guess that pushes me toward the express line. Any knowledge would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
~RE
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:55:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Hunting what?
If you're hunting pigs, quail, or deer at closer ranges, the shorter barrel would be perfect.

If you're going to be hunting birds, turkeys, or deer at longer ranges, you'd be better served with a longer barrel that has screw-in chokes.
With a barrel that has changeable chokes, you can hunt anything by simply changing the choke and shot or slugs to match the game.

Another option is to buy the Tactical with the 18.5 inch barrel, then just pick up a longer barrel that has changeable chokes.  
You can find 870 barrels just about anywhere, both new and used at good prices.

Last, all the guns you listed are Express models.  The Tactical is nothing more than a dressed up Express.
The top end Remington 870s are the Wingmaster and the Police models.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 12:31:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd got with the Tactical, usually built on the 870P platform, they can take 3" magnum loads easily and 18.5" barrel is a good size for HD.

This is my 870P, hand-me-down from the Kissimmee (FL) PD.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:54:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have an express tactical and that crazy looking muzzle break is a choke.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Deer hunting mostly. Also close range. We run dogs between the soy fields and typically ambush them between the game trails that run through the fields so shots are generally no more than 20 or 30 yards. Not too many hogs here in Eastern Va yet
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an express tactical and that crazy looking muzzle break is a choke.
View Quote

Ditch that silly looking barrel and get this...

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=430606014

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:21:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Deer hunting mostly. Also close range. We run dogs between the soy fields and typically ambush them between the game trails that run through the fields so shots are generally no more than 20 or 30 yards. Not too many hogs here in Eastern Va yet
View Quote

At that range the 18 1/2" barrel would do just great.
The short barrel guns are FAST on target and work better for this kind of shooting then longer barrels.
Assuming you're using slugs you'll need to do a little test shooting to find a slug brand and type that's the most accurate in THAT specific gun.
Most slugs will group into a pie plate at 100 yards and that's plenty for deer.

However, you're going to have to give some thought to sights of some sort.
There are a lot of options from buying a barrel with factory rifle sights and selling the standard barrel to help fund it, to having barrel mounted or ghost ring receiver sights installed by a gunsmith, to using some sort of mount to use a scope or red dot reflex sight.

I've just bought an inexpensive reflex sight and for closer range fast shooting I'm absolutely sold.  It's faster than any iron sights or even scope.
You can buy scope mounts for the 870 that use the trigger group pin holes in the receiver to mount it.
Then you can mount either a scope or reflex sight.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:45:39 PM EDT
[#7]
keep in mind that some of the express tacticals have fixed extended mag tubes that you cannot use other barrels on.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#8]
You can change the chokes out on any of the 870's with the breach choke.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top