Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/26/2014 1:28:06 PM EDT

My nephew (13 years old) is an avid hunter.

He has it in his head that he MUST have a semi-automatic 3.5" shotgun for some of his hunting.
He has sold a lot of things, and has his heart set on a Benelli.
The hunting in question is primarily dove and duck for this gun.

I don't know the model, but I am assuming that it is either the Super Black Eagle II or maybe the Vinci.

Frankly, I know how this goes with my nephew.  It will end up with his mother paying for the amount he is short.  However, even she is balking at the $1,700 price tag.

I am not entirely sure that he even needs a 3.5" chamber.  What I need from you guys is decent alternatives in 3.5" or 3" that are somewhere around the $700- $1,000 mark.

I really appreciate it.

Link Posted: 6/26/2014 1:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Mossberg 930 or 935
Remington 1100
Winchester Super X3

Those are the only ones on the top of my head that would fit the bill.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:14:25 PM EDT
[#2]
let your nephew shoot a full power 3.5 magnum load on a bench.... and then ask him if he still wants a 3.5 capability.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
let your nephew shoot a full power 3.5 magnum load on a bench.... and then ask him if he still wants a 3.5 capability.
View Quote

I'll never pull the trigger on a 3.5 again.  3 is plenty.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 3:59:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would never buy or shoot 3.5 inch shells. Not for waterfowl and damn sure not for doves.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 4:46:57 PM EDT
[#5]
3" shells tend to pattern better than 3.5" shells, and 2.75" shells better than 3" shells.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 5:57:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington Versamax.  Operationally very similar to the Benelli.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Used benelli in a 3 inch.should be able to swing one for around 1100
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 6:24:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Remington Versamax.  Operationally very similar to the Benelli.
View Quote

THIS

If he has to have a 3.5” semi the Versa Max will have the least recoil (relative term) and the price tag starts at under a grand (The gun is very similar to the Benelli M4 & SBE, some of the parts even interchange)
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:28:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Look at the Stoeger 3500. It is a 3.5" gun and uses the the Benelli inertia driven system. I have the 3" version and it has been a great gun. Stoeger, Benelli, Beretta, Uberti are all the same company. The Stoegers are made in Turkey.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 7:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Look at the Stoeger 3500. It is a 3.5" gun and uses the the Benelli inertia driven system. I have the 3" version and it has been a great gun. Stoeger, Benelli, Beretta, Uberti are all the same company. The Stoegers are made in Turkey.
View Quote

This was my first thought as well. The M3500 goes for about $600. I'm actually looking to pick up an M3000 pretty soon.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
VersaMax for similarity, would be my vote... But, for the length of  time a properly taken care of shotgun will last, let him get what he has his heart set on. Its not a dangerous decision, so your not saving him from himself. He may never be completely happy w/ second choice, why risk it for a little bit of cash. Beside, if he is staying in or working more to save cash, he is safer than being out w, friends pissing away the money he saved on buying a less expensive model.

Just noticed it reads 13 years, thought he was 18... Eh, I stand by my post. He would be mowing at least one lawn a day all summer however, nothing is "free".
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:33:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Why not a Nova?
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 8:42:54 PM EDT
[#13]
I like the 3-1/2 for geese.  No need for 3-1/2 on ducks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 11:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was told once by a gun shop owner that there were two kinds of people that have bought 3.5" 12ga's....those that sold them and bought a 10ga, and those that wish they had.  Too much shell...not enough gun.

Rob
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:43:58 AM EDT
[#15]
For those saying the Versamax is similar to the benelli I think they should clarify because that is not exactly the case. While the Versamax uses a Benelli operating system it is the M4 system not the SBE/Vinci inertia system. The Remington is also substantially heavier.

Not a big fan of the Stoeger guns as I have seen too many go back. I have heard the Mossbergs are decent but never played with them myself. I wouldnt buy a brand new Benelli for a 13 year old but no reason you couldnt find a used SBE I, II, or Super Vinci to save some bucks.

Quoted:

I was told once by a gun shop owner that there were two kinds of people that have bought 3.5" 12ga's....those that sold them and bought a 10ga, and those that wish they had.  Too much shell...not enough gun.

Rob
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Rob

Everyone I know is the opposite on the 10ga side. Most all of them sold them to buy 3.5" 12ga guns as they will do pretty much the same thing in a smaller lighter more modern gun.

I do think that 99% of bird hunting can be accomplished with a good 3" 12ga gun.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 4:52:55 AM EDT
[#16]
I think the best thing you can do for that child is make him buy the gun he can afford.

I bought my first gun in 1978.  It ended up being an 870 Wingmaster.  I can still recall every factor that went in to that decision including not needing a 3" chamber.  I barely use 3" these days and it is only on Geese.  I also still have the gun and it looks damn good even with all the hunting it saw.

An affordable 3.5"?  Benelli Nova pump or used semi auto Benellis
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:04:44 PM EDT
[#17]
This gas system of the versamax is completely different than the Benelli.  The operation of the safety and magazine cutoff is the same.  I find them softer shooting then a Benelli but recoil is an individual perception.
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:24:30 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
This gas system of the versamax is completely different than the Benelli.  The operation of the safety and magazine cutoff is the same.  I find them softer shooting then a Benelli but recoil is an individual perception.
View Quote

Not that it matters to the OP’s question…but the Versa Max gas system in a close copy of the Benelli M4 gas system design (which IS a different system from the inertia driven M1 / M2 / Super Black Eagle design)
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 12:36:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Something like this?

Stoeger M3500

Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:34:06 AM EDT
[#20]
TAC SX2 <Isn't this thing supposed to be similar to a Benelli?(minus the Italian craftsmanship) Lil dude is 13... skip the 3.5". There is a 30 page discussion on the Tac auto somewhere here. Looks like it's way underpriced for what you get, as is most Turkish stuff. Even the Chinese are probably scratching their heads.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:39:47 AM EDT
[#21]
No one has mentioned the Browning Gold Hunter 3.5"????

Can be picked up in the $600 to $1000 range and are amazing shotguns.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 3:54:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
TAC SX2 <Isn't this thing supposed to be similar to a Benelli?(minus the Italian craftsmanship) Lil dude is 13... skip the 3.5". There is a 30 page discussion on the Tac auto somewhere here. Looks like it's way underpriced for what you get, as is most Turkish stuff. Even the Chinese are probably scratching their heads.
View Quote

Be careful....if you need a firing pin, spring,or  other little part. etc. in a  few years will you be able to get it? Ask anyone that has a KBI/Charles Daly with a missing bolt handle or broken locking bolt... A cheap gun can become an expensive wall hanger.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 4:38:47 AM EDT
[#23]
I would get a used Benelli M1, I have no use for a 3.5" gun
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 4:55:13 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I would get a used Benelli M1, I have no use for a 3.5" gun
View Quote

Yup, a used M1 Super 90 field grade is the real answer here and shouldn't break the bank.
I've slayed scores of dove and ducks with mine, w/o a hiccup one.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:27:37 AM EDT
[#25]
Stoeger is owned by Beretta, who also owns Benelli.  I hear the Stoeger semis are made in Turkey using the Benelli inertia recoil system and made on Benelli tooling.  I picked up a 24" m3000 for less than $500 OTD.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Stoeger is owned by Beretta, who also owns Benelli.  I hear the Stoeger semis are made in Turkey using the Benelli inertia recoil system and made on Benelli tooling.  I picked up a 24" m3000 for less than $500 OTD.
View Quote

The stoeger isnt half the gun the benelli is. They can market it however they want but is in a whole different league.

The store I worked for sent back more stoegers than benellis and we sold ten times the number of benellis.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#27]
If you don't need 3" magnum shells, and most of us do not, it is hard to beat the performance to value ratio of a simple, found everywhere, reasonably priced, reliable, used Remington 1100.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 8:16:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Go look for a Beretta extrema II with the kick off.   Its been replaced by the A400 extreme and can be found at pretty good discounts. I have several friends that use them and really like them, most of them started with Benellis and prefer the Beretta.    I use an A400, but it is up there in price with the Benellis and Brownings.

Some love the Versamax, some not so much.  Win SX3 might be something look for also.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#29]
Regarding negative comments on Stoeger  shotguns please consider the model numbers.The older m2000 was the shotgun that was trouble prone and the newer m3000 and m3500 have been great and a tremendous value! Consider the demands of 3 gun open competition and check out the Brian Enos Forum.....see for yourself!
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:21:17 AM EDT
[#30]
i know hes not our kid to parent... but why cant he save up the whole 1700 if he got this far already?  a little more work and perseverance and he will have exactly what he dreamed of and sacrificed for.. and it will be 100% worth it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 2:57:53 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
i know hes not our kid to parent... but why cant he save up the whole 1700 if he got this far already?  a little more work and perseverance and he will have exactly what he dreamed of and sacrificed for.. and it will be 100% worth it.
View Quote

Shit, this thread's old enough he might have the full amount by now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 6:45:16 AM EDT
[#32]
Simple buy a Franchi
http://www.franchiusa.com/intensity-shotgun

they are made by Benelli in the Italian Benelli plant and every one I have ever looked at was the equal of a Benelli.  Only real difference is the main spring is under the forearm instead of in the stock.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#33]
My pal hunts with his Stroeger, and adores it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:02:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Have him shoot a few boxes of 3.5" at the patterning board to get it out his head. A 2 3/4" chamber is more than enough for ducks, let alone dove.

If he wants a Benelli, a used M1/M2 Field is ideal.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:21:43 AM EDT
[#35]
remington 1187 would fit the bill nicely. never found any need for the 3.5 chamber 3 inch will do anything you need it to. i have the sportsman model with a 26 inch barrel and it cycles everything flawlessly from birdshot to slugs got mine brand new for 650 out the door at dicks sporting goods.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:30:08 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Simple buy a Franchi

they are made by Benelli in the Italian Benelli plant and every one I have ever looked at was the equal of a Benelli.  Only real difference is the main spring is under the forearm instead of in the stock.
View Quote

This is the correct answer to a Benelli alternative. My affinity has been flawless!

Accountant
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 4:37:34 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

This is the correct answer to a Benelli alternative. My affinity has been flawless!

Accountant
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Simple buy a Franchi

Accountant

I wasn't even aware they were doing an inertia action gun but my older gas operated Franchi (a 612) has worked great. I would certainly consider the Franchi.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top