BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/20/2019 12:53:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

A LM or M will do fine for the vast majority of targets. Yeah, it's a bit tighter than you'd like for extreme close-up shots but still quite do-able. Besides, smoking birds does wonders for your confidence. The truly long shot that require tight choke are not that common on most courses. Most of the birds aren't as far as they look.

As much as people like to talk about the advantage of interchangeable chokes, you really don't want to be messing around screwing in chokes between stations. Your game will generally benefit from forgetting about choke and, instead, concentrate on just shooting the birds.
View Quote
The guys I shoot with put in chokes, and don't bother with them after that.  One guy just shoots Light Mod, for everything.  He does real well at sporting clays.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/15/2020 11:21:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#3]
Update to the choke story.  I shot FITASC ("Federation Internationale de Tir Aux Sportives de Chasse" this is the international version of Sporting Clays) for the first time yesterday.  Had to go with MOD/MOD.  They set those birds a loooong way out.  Also, was shooting a new shotgun, so that may have had something to do with it.
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/16/2020 10:39:36 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By mike103:

It's funny how we are in a huge circle. Long barrels and tight chokes are back. And fixed chokes.

It was Perazzi that was fixed chokes but now Krieghoff is following suite. But 34" barrels?? Really??

I'm a skeet shooter for the most part. So 30" is fine and I shoot tubes in my K80. I'm looking at a K20 and most dealers are stocking fixed chokes in the Parcours model. Mod and improved mod. And at least 32" barrels.

I'm a semi tall guy 6'2". Can't see swinging 34" barrels. Looking at the K 20 mostly as a game gun so 30"
Would be good.

There is a club in RI not far from my son that has FITASC. Looking forward to trying it this summer if we survive.
View Quote
The shotgun I was using prior to buying this new one had 26" barrels.  The new one has 32".  I like the way it swings better for sporting, I haven't tried it at the skeet field yet though.  I might just stick with the short gun for skeet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2020 1:23:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2020 11:40:56 AM EDT
[#7]
You guys who are getting into FITASC will love it.

Link Posted: 3/7/2021 9:02:04 PM EDT
[#8]
good info thanks for posting.  I found it very helpful and I been shooting 40 years but never ventured into this world and I want to start. thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 12:05:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Good stuff.  Since last I posted, I've become a "C class" sporting clays shooter.  Winning punches all the time.  I'll be in "B" class before too long.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 6:30:52 PM EDT
[#10]
@ m-60

Thanks for replying, it brought this up into active threads and I ended up reading it.  I've been doing sporting clays and some 5 stand (not really 5 stand, just using the 5 stand station while nobody has been there) but have only shot Trap once before and apparently have never shot skeet based on the description.  I have done some of the informal stuff as well, and I think the game is "Annie Oakley" where you can knock out the other shooters by hitting a missed bird.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:18:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CA_TX-Cop:
@ m-60

Thanks for replying, it brought this up into active threads and I ended up reading it.  I've been doing sporting clays and some 5 stand (not really 5 stand, just using the 5 stand station while nobody has been there) but have only shot Trap once before and apparently have never shot skeet based on the description.  I have done some of the informal stuff as well, and I think the game is "Annie Oakley" where you can knock out the other shooters by hitting a missed bird.
View Quote
If you get a chance, give skeet a try.  IMO, it's much more fun than trap.  

I've done the Annie Oakley shoots before (usually at the annual Elks Lodge Turkey shoot).  Sometimes I did well, other times, not so much.   I also tried 'Bunker Trap".  Holy crap that's hard.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Sporting clays  
League 3 man teams ( handicap)
My A shooter vs yours .
B shooter vs yours
C shooter vs yours
Beer and grilling at the pit after .
Excuses , bragging and lies all afterwards
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 8:06:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Skar:
Sporting clays  
League 3 man teams ( handicap)
My A shooter vs yours .
B shooter vs yours
C shooter vs yours
Beer and grilling at the pit after .
Excuses , bragging and lies all afterwards
View Quote
I like to make my excuses ahead of time.

Link Posted: 10/19/2021 11:05:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Progress. Slow, but progress nonetheless.

Attachment Attached File

3 more machine mounts to set, 3 more machines to set. Then we can try to get the control wires figured out. Hopefully I can hang the last 3 Saturday, do some preliminary adjusting and get machines and mounts all leveled up.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By johnh57:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335829/Resizer_16346988811590_jpg-2136442.JPG

3 more machine mounts to set, 3 more machines to set. Then we can try to get the control wires figured out. Hopefully I can hang the last 3 Saturday, do some preliminary adjusting and get machines and mounts all leveled up.
View Quote
Kewl!
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 12:21:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By M-60:
The shotgun I was using prior to buying this new one had 26" barrels.  The new one has 32".  I like the way it swings better for sporting, I haven't tried it at the skeet field yet though.  I might just stick with the short gun for skeet.
View Quote
Now that I've been using the 32" gun on the skeet field, I like it MUCH better than the short barreled gun.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 12:32:26 AM EDT
[#17]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/335829/Resizer_16346988811590_jpg-2136442.JPG

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/26/2022 12:38:21 AM EDT
[#18]
Bunker is almost ready.  Finally got control wiring done and test fired all 15 traps, we didn't do much on it over the winter.

Machines need aligned and calibrated and I think It's alive at that point.

We also took an unused wobble trap house, put a wobble trap in it (we had one gmv wobble machine in a regular ata trap house - we moved it to an old unused house built to ground level), set it on 4 hole settings and shot a few rounds on it. Still need to see if it will run 5 hole and 6 hole without hitting the trap house.

Hopefully we can run an informal summer league 4 weeks Olympic trap, 4 weeks wobble trap and get some participation and interest.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 3:01:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Bunker is almost ready.  Finally got control wiring done and test fired all 15 traps, we didn't do much on it over the winter.

Machines need aligned and calibrated and I think It's alive at that point.

We also took an unused wobble trap house, put a wobble trap in it (we had one gmv wobble machine in a regular ata trap house - we moved it to an old unused house built to ground level), set it on 4 hole settings and shot a few rounds on it. Still need to see if it will run 5 hole and 6 hole without hitting the trap house.

Hopefully we can run an informal summer league 4 weeks Olympic trap, 4 weeks wobble trap and get some participation and interest.
View Quote
Sweet!  I'll be right over to test it out for ya.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 8:35:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 9:54:24 AM EDT
[#21]
I shot the Sportsman's Team Challenge for 5 years back in the mid-late 90s... Rem1100 and Citori GTI... when I got into 3 gun seriously, switched to a Benelli M1S90 with 21" around 2005 and  Kurt Miller talked me into loctiting a LM choke....3" slug groups at 75m...a 28" M2 barrel and fore grip usually has a Skeet 1 but is changed to a LM for Sporting Clays and 5 stand
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 10:28:03 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By mike103:

Sounds like I heck of an accomplishment.

I have a small group at my club that uses a standard ATA trap house and a wobble trap to get as close to “International “ as possible. They shoot, and smoke cigars every Friday and have a ball. They would really love a set up like yours.

Enjoy!!
View Quote

Our wobble machine was in a standard house.  But you're limited on how much angle you can put on it without hitting the house.  Also, for low targets people have a tendency to shoot the back of the trap house.  Our old wobble house is flush to the ground - like the Olympic bunker, and its 10' wide rather than 8' so we should be able to throw a wider angle.  I don't know yet if we can get a full +/- 45 deg.  But if you make it to hard people won't shoot it.  We can throw targets a little wider than ata targets and maybe a little faster, people can have fun.   Hopefully we can also speed it up and open up the angles enough so people that want the harder targets can do that too.
Link Posted: 5/26/2022 2:39:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 9:15:43 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:
Regarding barrel length: Folks new to shotguns often don't understand the role of barrel length. It's all about feel and balance. Specifically, it's about swing. Short barrels are "fast." They're easy to swing fast but they also stop fast. Stopping equals missing when trying to shoot a moving target. Longer barrels smooth out your swing and encourage follow-through so that the shooter continues his swing even after he's pulled the bang switch. That's the key to hitting moving targets. The trend and fashion in recent years has been longer and longer barrels. About 40 years ago there was a buzz about shorter barrels for skeet and you saw a lot of 26" barrels on over/under shotguns. Today, those guns languish on dealer's used gun racks. Hunters are about the only folks who still want them. Even 28" barrels are considered short on a break-barrel gun these days. (BTW, Imaposer2 is absolutely right about the the added receiver length of semi-autos/pumps. A 28" barrel is still considered normal on autos and pumps).
View Quote

I see that mentioned all the time (i.e. longer barrels = better follow through) but nobody ever mentions the downside to that... longer barrels = better follow through = slower transition to 2nd bird if shooting doubles.

I've shot some Skeet and Sporting clays (but I'm still a novice so take this for what its worth) but I've done both with a 28" and a 30" O/U and for me, I preferred the 28" for doubles (which roughly equals a 26" Semi). Really its all just personal preference and starting out, I wouldn't worry about barrel length at all, just use whatever you have. Other guys there will be more then happy to tell you how their SG is better and why and will let you try theirs to prove it to you and eventually you will figure out your own preference.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By airgunner:

I see that mentioned all the time (i.e. longer barrels = better follow through) but nobody ever mentions the downside to that... longer barrels = better follow through = slower transition to 2nd bird if shooting doubles.

I've shot some Skeet and Sporting clays (but I'm still a novice so take this for what its worth) but I've done both with a 28" and a 30" O/U and for me, I preferred the 28" for doubles (which roughly equals a 26" Semi). Really its all just personal preference and starting out, I wouldn't worry about barrel length at all, just use whatever you have. Other guys there will be more then happy to tell you how their SG is better and why and will let you try theirs to prove it to you and eventually you will figure out your own preference.
View Quote

I have never encountered that.  Ever.

My competition O/U has 32" barrels.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 3:42:01 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Bud:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By airgunner:

Concur.  

Used to shoot a 26" gun for skeet, and now a 32" gun.  The 26" gun is very "whippy".   But I will add that you should shoot whatever works for you.  

I like longer barrels, and it's not because its a recent fad.  I shoot them better.  Particularly at sporting clays.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 5:04:39 PM EDT
[#27]
But I will add that you should shoot whatever works for you.  
View Quote

And that was my point.
Link Posted: 5/31/2022 10:20:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Also, for low targets people have a tendency to shoot the back of the trap house.
View Quote

If you haven't been in the trap house when it got dusted, have you even worked in a trap house?  
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 7:00:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: johnh57] [#29]
Bunker is on line! Actually having a shoot on it this weekend.  Should be something of an acid test.  Had a few machines breaking targets, that's mostly sorted out.  Had 2 machines shipped with light springs and they wouldn't throw a 76 meter target.  New springs seems to have fixed that.  Still getting some breakage on 2 machines maybe 3 or 4 targets out of 100.  We'll have to get through this weekend and sort that out. Mostly the breakage has been from platten adjustment screws being a tiny bit proud of the target surface, some from platten adjustment being a bit off, and some from initial setting being a bit too hot.

These mattarelli machines are really nice to work on and adjust.  The old pneumatic machines were just violent when they threw a target. The mattarelli's are just swoosh and it's gone.  No bone jarring clanks and bursts of compressed air.
Link Posted: 6/9/2022 8:04:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Awesome!  I hope it works out for y'all.
Link Posted: 6/10/2022 4:39:52 PM EDT
[#31]
I can't wait to give it a try.
Link Posted: 6/12/2022 2:23:42 AM EDT
[#32]
Switching gears here slightly…

I thought I heard or read something years ago about the storage of clay birds.  If they are stored on bare concrete like inside a pole barn, they can wick up moisture.  In turn, those birds become like rubbery…they are less brittle….so less likely to be broken by a pellet or two while flying through the air.

And if left in a throwing machine that’s outside, if it is not covered then the clays would be like vacuumed lyt
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#33]
The reason I ask is because I was at the World Shooting Complex i. Sparta, IL last Friday:

Attachment Attached File

I noticed they left the doors open on the trap houses;

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 6:48:59 PM EDT
[#34]
The sporting clays course I shoot at, has boxes of clays stored under an "awning".   They don't seem to have any problems.   Although I don't know how often they rotate through them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:04:35 PM EDT
[#35]
Sporting clays over skeet and trap !
But that said I like women also.

Sporting Clays is sociable and takes longer to go through 100 rounds . I enjoy the exercise more walking.

Join a team league .
Link Posted: 6/16/2022 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#36]
We recently had some boxes that got damp in a trap house, dried out, cardboard actually had a bit of mold growing.  We had lots of broken targets out of that trap house.

We built a target storage building a few years ago.  Wood framed, metal roof, concrete slab floor.  It's unheated and uninsulated - buts it's dry.  Targets are kept on pallets so they are kept off of the concrete floor.  Any trap machines not going to be used for a while are emptied and the carousel pulled off.  We have one bank of 9 traps that are only used once a year  - they are emptied, targets removed from the trap house, carousel are removed, & the machine is tarped.  We don't want targets sitting in a machine for a year or sitting in a trap house for a year and then thrown for a registered ata shoot.

We try to make sure targets get used.  Occasionally on traps that get used a lot new targets get added on top of old target cases and that bottom row of cases ends up being in the house for a long time.  So we try to make sure the bottom row of cases gets pulled out and put up in the stack.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 7:17:49 PM EDT
[#37]
We recently had some boxes that got damp in a trap house, dried out, cardboard actually had a bit of mold growing.  We had lots of broken targets out of that trap house.

We built a target storage building a few years ago.  Wood framed, metal roof, concrete slab floor.  It's unheated and uninsulated - buts it's dry.  Targets are kept on pallets so they are kept off of the concrete floor.  Any trap machines not going to be used for a while are emptied and the carousel pulled off.  We have one bank of 9 traps that are only used once a year  - they are emptied, targets removed from the trap house, carousel are removed, & the machine is tarped.  We don't want targets sitting in a machine for a year or sitting in a trap house for a year and then thrown for a registered ata shoot.

We try to make sure targets get used.  Occasionally on traps that get used a lot new targets get added on top of old target cases and that bottom row of cases ends up being in the house for a long time.  So we try to make sure the bottom row of cases gets pulled out and put up in the stack.
View Quote

Yep!

Thanks!

Some guy told me years ago that if the  clay targets get wet enough while still on the throwing machine, then they like get vacuum locked together.  So maybe like two or three try to drop on the arm and get broken that way.

By the way, those are Pat Trap brand throwing machines in my pic above.  Their website says they run about $9,000 each.

Link Posted: 6/20/2022 9:53:38 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll be shooting the Oregon State Sporting Championship this weekend.  

We'll see how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't seem to be too many trap shooters here.  I will tell you that if you shoot trap the usual question as far as barrel length is 32" or 34".  But maybe the makes sense - you're not moving the gun as much in trap vs skeet/sporting clays and the distances tend to be greater  ...  a top notch trap shooter will shoot handicap 27 yards behind the house and is probably hitting the bird about 40 yards from where he's standing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:51:21 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By WeimaranerDad:

Yep!

Thanks!

Some guy told me years ago that if the  clay targets get wet enough while still on the throwing machine, then they like get vacuum locked together.  So maybe like two or three try to drop on the arm and get broken that way.

By the way, those are Pat Trap brand throwing machines in my pic above.  Their website says they run about $9,000 each.

View Quote

Ours are GMV Superstars - similarly priced.  I don't think you can get them in the US any longer.
Link Posted: 6/20/2022 10:57:42 PM EDT
[#41]

We'll see how it goes.
View Quote

Good luck!  Wish I was.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 9:52:37 AM EDT
[#42]

We'll see how it goes.
View Quote

Good luck.

What NSCA class?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:34:40 PM EDT
[#43]

Good luck.

What NSCA class?
View Quote
Thanks.

"B" class.  I've only been doing sporting for a couple years now.   Working my way up as I'm able.
Link Posted: 6/22/2022 9:42:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Thanks.

"B" class.  I've only been doing sporting for a couple years now.   Working my way up as I'm able.
View Quote

You will do great!
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 9:17:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Day one of the Oregon State Championship.   6th place in B class.     I can shoot better.   I hope I actually do tomorrow.
Link Posted: 6/26/2022 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Day one of the Oregon State Championship.   6th place in B class.     I can shoot better.   I hope I actually do tomorrow.
View Quote

Nice!

This morning for about 4 hours , me and another guy took turns pulling for skeet.

I was surprised by the amount of .410 and 28 gauge guns there today.  I saw a lot of crispy hulls too.

The “A team” squad fired the first shot right at 8:01:01 AM this morning and they flew through the round in like 10 minutes.  I think it was 5 guys in that first squad.  The lead guy would already be at station #3 loaded up, and shouldered, with his gun pointed at his start point, and calling pull before I got done walking over from the last shooter who was just on station # 2
Link Posted: 6/27/2022 2:19:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-60] [#47]
Welp, I finished in 6th place in B class.   I certainly didn't shoot my best.  I lost a lot of targets that I just shouldn't have.  

I started on station 2 and it took me half of the course to start shooting.   Ugh.  I am disappointed.  The 98 degree weather didn't help, but that's just an excuse.

79 and an 84

And I got a hat out of the deal.  Yay!!

Link Posted: 7/13/2022 12:13:37 AM EDT
[#48]
I shot trap on Monday with my hunting buddy.

My first round was with my 686 in 12 gauge.  I broke 22.  Which is the best I have ever shot so far.

Then I switched over to the 725 in 20 gauge.   I broke 20 .

Then on the third and final round we shot, still with the 725 in 20 gauge, I probably broke like 18.

I learned my lesson from the 4th when I ran through five boxes of shells on the skeet  field all by myself… I bought a sweatband / headband.

Link Posted: 7/14/2022 5:41:29 PM EDT
[#49]
My gun club posted this on Face Book:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 7:33:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Long story short, my hunting buddy went to the Olin trap/skeet range today.

At some point another “gentleman” showed up with one of these:

Attachment Attached File

And proceeded to shoot a round of trap with it.

Now granted, it was his first time shooting it, but he only broke 3 birds.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top