Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 10:13:05 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm looking for recommendations for low recoil 12 gauge shells.

Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:28:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used Rio Royal Buck 00 Low Recoil for training for a few years with no problems.

Used to be fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 11:50:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My limited experience.

The federal flite control.  Best groups but most expensive.

Winchester ranger slightly bigger groups but cheaper.

Royal rio.  Even bigger groups but cheaper still.

I patterened a few boxes of each to see which to go with.  I went with the Winchester though I will buy some federal to round out an order on occasion.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:07:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Federal with the flite control wad.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:11:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I've used the Rio low recoil without issue.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:31:30 AM EDT
[#5]
It really depends on what you're looking for...  Cheap practice ammo, or premium defensive ammo....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:29:50 AM EDT
[#6]
16 ga
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:51:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It really depends on what you're looking for...  Cheap practice ammo, or premium defensive ammo....
View Quote

Thanks for all the great responses.

I'm new to shotguns, so I'm looking for both.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 11:15:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I'm going to need some for the Serbu Super Shorty I just ordered...

Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:13:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

For "serious" purposes, Federal with FC wad, or Hornady TAP with Versatite.

For cheap range fodder, just anything that cycles well in your gun, but I wouldn't recommend the Winchester bulk pack from Walmart since many people have reported cycling issues with it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:35:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Federal flite control for defensive use.

For the range, I get most of my stuff from Walmart: I like the Remington low recoil 00 and Rio 00. I have found these two pattern best out of my barrel (18.5" IC). Next would be Federal 00. Bringing up the rear is the Winchester 00...terrible patterns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:48:08 PM EDT
[#11]
What type of gun are you going to be shooting?

What are you shooting at?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:24:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
What type of gun are you going to be shooting?

What are you shooting at?
View Quote

The short version of the story is this:

The awful laws here in NY have caused me to get into firearms that I'd never have gotten into otherwise. I bought an Interstate Arms Chinese knock off of a Remington 870......and a KSG.

The KSG recoil was pretty bad so I bought a Limbsaver for it. Haven't tested it out yet.

I put a great stock on the IAC so recoil isn't an issue.....but it still might be for the KSG. So I'm looking to test out different low recoil shells.

What will I be shooting at? Paper......unless someone comes in my home.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 5:45:22 PM EDT
[#13]
For fun or targets: Any of the 1 oz or 1 1/8 oz, 1145 fps birds shot loads* (I prefer Federal 100 round bulk packs, Remington STS or Winchester AA – but avoid the Winchester “Universal)

* There are some less than 1oz, less than 1000 fps birdshot loads available that have relatively little recoil, but you not likely to find these at the big box stores, check out a well stock LGS or clay target supplier type store

For serious work: 1145 fps Federal Flite Control OO buckshot and the various 1 oz slugs running 1200 fps or so (Federal Truball, Remington Managed Recoil, etc)
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 4:46:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Federal LE flite control 8 pellet 00 buck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top