Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/22/2014 6:09:22 PM EDT
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1077741_14_1_2_inch_Shotgun_not_an_AOW___LETTER_ARRIVED_12_27_Pg21.html

I wonder if anyone has made one of these non nfa aow's with a sig brace.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 6:55:25 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm thinking about it. I might write a letter first.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 7:59:48 PM EDT
[#2]
linky no worky.

but how is is NON-NFA if it's an AOW???
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:12:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
linky no worky.

View Quote

He's confused about the nonmanclature for a 14 1/2 in barreled weapon (over 26 in) firing shot shells.
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 8:43:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1077741_14_1_2_inch_Shotgun_not_an_AOW___LETTER_ARRIVED_12_27_Pg21.html

I wonder if anyone has made one of these non nfa aow's with a sig brace.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Okay, if the Sig brace is attached to a pistol grip shotgun how short could the barrel be and still be 26" AOL? I'm thinking about 8" shorter or 6-1/2"??? Maybe 10"?

Now we are entering interesting territory...
Link Posted: 4/22/2014 10:41:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Isn't this the same thing that shockwave technologies has been doing for years? They even have the tech letters (more than one) saying that as long as the shotgun was a pistol at time of purchase that using there grip and a 14 1/2 inch barrel measures 26.5 when measured parallel to the bore and this does not require a stamp?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 3:56:57 AM EDT
[#7]
I think the overriding question would be, could this be construed to be a buttstock?

I understand one side of the  argument...

But the ATF can be fickle...  On an AR pistol, the buffer tube is a necessary part of the action and the Sig brace is just a brace that is added to it.  But, on a shotgun, there is no need for a buffer tube so the only reason you'd put one on it would be to attach the brace.  Who knows how that would be viewed.  If it were to be viewed the "wrong" way, you could be charged with having an unregistered SBS.  And even if you were ultimately correct, and your trial showed you were within the law, is it worth the hassle?  Just because you may be technically correct that doesn't mean that your local LEO and DA will see it your way.  Tax stamps are cheaper than attorneys....

Curious idea, but not worth the worry of potential hassles for me.  Not just to save a few bucks.

Personally, at ~$140 for the stock, I'd rather play it safe and just kick in a few extra bucks and get a stamp for a SBS.  But that's just me....
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:46:19 AM EDT
[#8]
And letters to BATFE Tech Branch are cheaper than tax stamps.  In the case of the SIG Swiss Army AK derivative which doesn't use a buffer tube, and in the case of AK pistols, which don't use a buffer tube, the SIG brace is already approved.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 10:29:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
And letters to BATFE Tech Branch are cheaper than tax stamps.  In the case of the SIG Swiss Army AK derivative which doesn't use a buffer tube, and in the case of AK pistols, which don't use a buffer tube, the SIG brace is already approved.
View Quote

Good point.  Wasn't familiar with the AK variants.  Interesting....
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:29:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

He's confused about the nonmanclature for a 14 1/2 in barreled weapon (over 26 in) firing shot shells.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
linky no worky.

you mean the OP is confused? i asked because his title said " 14" non-nfa AOW" and since the link didnt work (for me at least, i tried copy an paste) i couldnt see what he was referencing.

and the sig brace should not make any difference as to its status. but with the cost of the brace plus the tube etc. it would only be worth while if you lived in a state like NJ where you cant have a SBS or an AOW. I know in MA you can only have an SBS if it's a factory SBS (for some reason you cant form 1 an SBS in MA).

Or if you just wanted to be able to shoot it like an SBS while waiting for your stamp.

but i wonder how it would hold up. i havent seen a sig brace yet but they look kinda squishy, so they can be comfortable on your forearm. now on an ar since there isnt much recoil it works fine against the shoulder (so i hear) but on something 12 ga..........makes me wonder.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

you mean the OP is confused? i asked because his title said " 14" non-nfa AOW" and since the link didnt work (for me at least, i tried copy an paste) i couldnt see what he was referencing.

and the sig brace should not make any difference as to its status. but with the cost of the brace plus the tube etc. it would only be worth while if you lived in a state like NJ where you cant have a SBS or an AOW. I know in MA you can only have an SBS if it's a factory SBS (for some reason you cant form 1 an SBS in MA).

Or if you just wanted to be able to shoot it like an SBS while waiting for your stamp.

but i wonder how it would hold up. i havent seen a sig brace yet but they look kinda squishy, so they can be comfortable on your forearm. now on an ar since there isnt much recoil it works fine against the shoulder (so i hear) but on something 12 ga..........makes me wonder.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
linky no worky.

Yes, I mean the OP.  the sig brace isn't squishy, it's a fairly stiff plastic. Useable around your forearm and comfortable around it aren't necessarily the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 4:51:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
........I know in MA you can only have an SBS if it's a factory SBS (for some reason you cant form 1 an SBS in MA).
View Quote

It's because of the wording in MA law. In MA, there is a state law against "Sawed-Off Shotguns", defined as a shotgun which has been modified with a barrel less than 18" or an overall length shorter than 26". Since a factory SBS has never been "sawed-off" and came in that configuration, that makes it legal.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 9:23:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 10:06:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

It's because of the wording in MA law. In MA, there is a state law against "Sawed-Off Shotguns", defined as a shotgun which has been modified with a barrel less than 18" or an overall length shorter than 26". Since a factory SBS has never been "sawed-off" and came in that configuration, that makes it legal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
........I know in MA you can only have an SBS if it's a factory SBS (for some reason you cant form 1 an SBS in MA).

knew it was something funky like that.

im orig from MASS and don't ever want to go back.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top