Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2014 8:19:49 AM EDT
I purchased an 870 awhile back with intentions of fixing it up it was in rough shape but I did not care as I got it cheap. Well after breaking it down scuffing it up and repainting it and polishing the bolt  I purchased the magpul SGA set for it and a new 20" desert recon barrel with rem chokes along with an ATI fluted magazine extension and new follower. Well I fully assembled it and after admiring my handi work tried to load up the magazine tube and realized it would not load completely. Curious I went to the trusty google and found that you have to remove the two dents in the tube. Well that would have been easy if I knew this before I spent all this time redoing it! My question is this which method is best the drill out method, the socket method or the dremel them flat? I figure the dremel method will leave holes like the drill method am I wrong? Thanks for all the help and here are some pics!

Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#1]
I have done two.  You do not have to go all the way through the metal with the drimmel tool.  That is the best way. I used sanding drum and the dent comes out with no holes. At least on the two I did.  I guess it would be possible for the dimples to be deeper in yours, but from my experience you should be fine.    I made quite a few changes to my 870.

http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad259/Michael_Mershon/Facebook/Profile%20Pictures/1526500_533285626779599_662242402_n.jpg
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#2]
What method you use is really not important as long as you get it right and there's nothing inside the tube that can cause a shell, follower, or spring to hang up on.

If you drill or Dremel and have holes in the tube, this is a non issue since the barrel support ring will cover the holes.  Drilling is the easiest, Dremeling will work well.

If you use a socket to press the lugs out be careful not to distort the tube.
Instead of just hammering the socket in, also use a brass hammer to tap the area over the lugs using the socket as in internal "anvil".  Rest the tube on a bench block or vise anvil covered with some paper or thin cardboard to prevent marring the tube and finish.
Using a tight socket and a hammer you're essentially "forging" the lugs out.

If you know a local gunsmith who's one of the few who has a shotgun dent raiser, he can use the hydraulic tool to press the lugs out cleanly.
Brownell's also sell a hardened steel tapered rod tool to raise dents and press out the lugs.  Cost is too high for a one-time job but you could sell it after you use it.

Whatever method, you must have the inside of the tube perfectly flush where the lugs are.  Even a small amount of protrusion into the tube can cause something to hang up, and it's not unusual for things to look and feel perfect and still cause a hang-up even after you've been using the gun for some time.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 12:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Well I started with the socket method and after i got it to the point where the socket would fall in and out I wrapped it with an 80 grit sanding pad and started smoothing it out. I have it to the point where it feels smooth but there are still very small dimples  like valleys that i can not get  out but I have a feeling it will be ok because they are outwards from the tube.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top