Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2013 7:05:02 AM EDT
If I were looking to get one to run as a home defense gun, is one more suited than the other?

What is the shortest barrel length one could run on either gun (I know NFA rules apply)? Do either have issues cycling with the attachment of a side saddle shell carrier?

Any other things to look for?
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#1]
Either, just make sure if you get an 1100 to not get the ones setup for light target loads like their skeet models.  The 11-87 will compensate for either, the 1100 if I recall was either a field gun or a target gun with slightly different gas system components.  Probably switchable but I haven't researched it.

Most of the 1100 12 ga slug guns that I handled would in fact shoot the target loads without hickup but they didn't guarantee it.

Shortest 1100 barrel I ever saw were special narco entry 20 gage models that had 10-12 inch barrels and a short mag tube.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If I remember correctly, 1187's can shoot 3" shells, while the 1100 cannot. Might not be too important, but something to keep in mind.
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 8:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess my biggest concern is the gun not cycling.

Does anyone know if they had issues that plauged the Benelli M1 with the cycling?
Link Posted: 8/1/2013 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#4]
I've shot 1100 and 1187 for 3 gun for a lot of years... the 1187 extractor is considerably larger than the 1100...you get a stainless mag tube also with the 1187...if you are looking at an older 1100 ... get the single piece gas ring... if you want to shoot light loads, the 1187 21" barrel does not have the gas relief ring, and acts like a 1100 barrel...you may need to open up the gas ports with the shorter barrels to get them to work...I never had a cycling problem with anything larger then 3 dram 1 1/8oz... I shot the 1100 for 5 years for the Chevy STC and it saw a lot of shots for practice, and a lot of parts broke...mostly the bolt carrier link (tuning fork) but lots of the smaller pins on the shell lift, an extractor or two and one early gas ring..... if price is not a consideration, I would opt for the Benelli M1S90....I shoot a 21" field grade M1S90 for 3 gun now...compared to the Remingtons, the bolt carrier link is massive, and the trigger group has minimal parts.... the key to making a Benelli run is to make sure you have a good magazine spring...at least 13" longer than the tube for the shorter gun ( I shoot a 8 +1 mag tube)...for cold weather, don't add a lot of weight on the Benelli... it is inertia driven.... with dimensionally correct shells, my Benelli also runs well with 3 dram 1 1/8oz promo loads... before finding out the spring requirement, at 26F and a full side saddle it was not 100 per cent with low recoil slugs

22 slugs at the house clearing FB3G 2010.... and it was cold...

Link Posted: 8/1/2013 12:17:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Price is a consideration. Otherwise I'd just opt for the Benelli M4.

I'm looking to eventually make the gun a SBS with a 14" barrel length. I'd like to start at 18" if possible. Most likely will run a side shell carrier but I don't know enough about running a shotgun to say for certain.

My concern was it failing to feed.

Also, is there a technique to feed a different shell in while shooting? Eg. magazine full of buckshot and need a slug.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top