Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2012 10:21:22 PM EDT

I have been in the market for a decent semi-auto thats not only fun for the range but good for HD.  I've been giving the Weatherby SA-459 a hard look because it fits what I want in a shotgun pretty well...
-Reliable Semi Auto under $1000
-Short barrel but not SBS territory
-Threaded to accept different chokes
-Pistol grip with pushbutton safety (compared to Mossberg having the safety up top)
-AR style sights with option to mount a reflex optic
-Mounting point for a weapon light (thinking TLR-3)
-Lightweight/ergonomic for my wife

My main question is Should I go 20 GA or 12 GA?  They both cost the same ($600 tax included with my military discount out the door).  The 12 is 6 1/2 lbs  and the 20 is half a pound lighter at 6 lbs.  With a semi auto weighing this much how much of a difference in recoil is there going to be between 12 and 20 gauge shooting HD type ammo?  My wife really likes the feel of the 20 and frankly I do too, it just feels so agile.  I guess my main worry is the 12 being too much recoil for my wife VS how much harder/more expensive is it to find 20 GA ammo?  Any insight would be GREATLY appriciated.  Realistically this will mostly be used having fun shooting slugs and stuff at the range but will also be depended on to save my live (replacing my AR for HD purposes) in either my own or my wife's hands.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 10:56:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Another Turkish made autogun, if I remember correctly.

One could do much better for 600 bucks.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 11:10:36 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Another Turkish made autogun, if I remember correctly.

One could do much better for 600 bucks.

Which better Semi Autos are you referring to for $600?  Your post doesn't count for much without saying.  It can be made in a cave in Afghanistan for all I care so long as it fires and cycles when I pull the trigger, and so far all the reviews and video's I've read and seen point to that.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 11:15:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Gunstore racks are awash with used 1100 and 1187s, and as much as I am not a Mossberg fan, the 930 is making a very good showing, and can be had for much less than 600. There are also tons of Beretta 1200 and 120 trade ins on the auction sites for under 500. If one is determined to buy a Turk made gun, the CZ712 Utility is making some pretty big waves in the 3-gun world, and can be had for around $400. Myself, I have yet to see a damn thing come out of Turkey, gunwise, worth a shit.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 7:35:20 AM EDT
[#4]
If you are going to knock the shotgun and say its shit thats fine..But at least tell me you have personally used it and had it fail or point my to the publications/reviews showing that its no good.  Every online/magazine review I've read says its good and every youtube video I've seen of people shooting it shows it eating through ammo be it a casual user or an unbiased gun reviewer.  If I read a bunch of reviews saying it jams all the time I'd feel differently.  Weatherby has stricter quality control measures in place for testing and inspection whats coming off of the line than other gun companies with manufacturing in Turkey.  I'm not even defending the shotgun here..I want to see a review of a video or a review of it failing and being a POS if there is one that way I know what to expect if I do get it.  I just literally havn't seen any negative publicity.

CZ712 Utility:  Heavier, longer length of pull, longer barrel, no sights, and has no railspace for a light or an optic.

Rem 1100:  Still lacks alot of the features and I went to 4 different LGS yesterday and didnt see a single one new or used.  Most ones im finding on sale online look like mostly hunting versions with long barrels.

Beretta:  STILL doesn't have all of the features and there arent any on shelves around here.

I'm open to other options but at least list shotguns that have at least the same ammount of features INCLUDED without gunsmithing and cost about the same new without having to go on a wild goose chase trying to find them.  I live in Tennessee too.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 8:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
"Features," as you call them, are nothing more than marketing to cover up a cheap gun. Its the shotgun version of the Taurus 1911.

I'm open to other options but at least list shotguns that have at least the same ammount of features INCLUDED without gunsmithing and cost about the same new without having to go on a wild goose chase trying to find them.

Do you find it curious that this is the case? That no quality manufacturers offer the crap that this gun does, at this price? To me, thats a clue.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:19:23 AM EDT
[#6]
930 SPX
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 11:20:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
930 SPX

This is most likely your best bet for the "features" you want.
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 3:47:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Turkish guns seem to have a reputation for being pretty nice guns.  Some are of course sub par, but American Tactical Imports has some nice turkish 92fs that have a reputation of being great values, and a far better value than real 92's
Link Posted: 10/14/2012 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Turkish guns seem to have a reputation for being pretty nice guns.  Some are of course sub par, but American Tactical Imports has some nice turkish 92fs that have a reputation of being great values, and a far better value than real 92's

Their shotguns have a reputation of being junk, with pretty wood.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top