Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2012 2:13:44 PM EDT
I am picking up a Mossberg 500 tomorrow and I want to know what you consider a necessary modification?

I have an 870 but I am unsure of mag extensions and things of the sort for the Mossbergs.   This Mossberg has 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber with an 18.5" barrel.

I would like a larger magazine capacity but after even a short amount of research it seems the only way to do this would be replacing the barrel and the magazine tube.  I have also seen the followers on the Mossbergs (a very dark colored grey/black almost(?), and I would like to know if there are high viz followers available.

It has an oversized safety and that was one of the other things I would looked at myself.

I have an Elzetta Light mount coming in and a Surefire 6PX coming in for it as well.

The role of this 12ga is to be a home defense type shotgun.

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 3:14:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Necessary?  Not sure anything is really necessary.  Make sure the screw holding the ejector in the receiver is tight, I have seen them back out before.

It is complicated to add a longer magazine tube, (or a shorter magazine tube), the design of the Remington 870 is better here.

Basically, make sure the stock fits you, (good advice for any gun), and know how it patterns, (also good advice for any shotgun).

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 4:37:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Here let me do your search for you

Also look at side saddles and a surefire forearm. If you plan on using this thing for anything other then fun
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:02:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Inserted copious amounts of shells.
I don't see why people are obsessed with flashlights on home defense guns. You should be able to walk through your own house sans lights without bumping into anything. all a flashlight will do is alert the bad guy to where you are. Not bashing your choices, just saying that your money is better spent in shells learning your gun and its likes/dislikes than a flashlight. learn to clear your house with the weapon and know angles and blind corners and you won't need a flashlight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 8:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't see why people are obsessed with flashlights on home defense guns. You should be able to walk through your own house sans lights without bumping into anything. all a flashlight will do is alert the bad guy to where you are. Not bashing your choices, just saying that your money is better spent in shells learning your gun and its likes/dislikes than a flashlight. learn to clear your house with the weapon and know angles and blind corners and you won't need a flashlight.

You have no idea what you are talking about, a light is a must have on ANY firearm being used for home defense. Especially if you have anyone else living on your home. Positive target ID in the dark... And that whole seeing your sight thing... To think other wise is foolish no matter how well you think you know your home. Things get moved and left out. Also never clear your house unless absolutely necessary.

Yes buy a good light and plenty of ammo including the BUCKSHOT you plan on using and pattern it out to the furthest distance in your home. Focus on the distance most likely to be your engagement distance ie. where you will be hunkered down waiting while police come. Because calling the cops is on the list of priorities after you are hunkered down right? Then hang up the phone and wait.

A good light that you test and shoot with to know it works and doesn't get in your way.

A side saddle to increase ammo on the gun.

High visibility follower or textured.

Possible a stock shell caddy for increased ammo on the gun if you feel you need it.

Load with Buckshot and have a few slugs on standby.

I think that covers it.

Oh and train with it, take a class with your shotgun to really see how you do with it.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You have no idea what you are talking about, a light is a must have on ANY firearm being used for home defense. Especially if you have anyone else living on your home. Positive target ID in the dark... And that whole seeing your sight thing... To think other wise is foolish no matter how well you think you know your home. Things get moved and left out. Also never clear your house unless absolutely necessary.

Yes buy a good light and plenty of ammo including the BUCKSHOT you plan on using and pattern it out to the furthest distance in your home. Focus on the distance most likely to be your engagement distance ie. where you will be hunkered down waiting while police come. Because calling the cops is on the list of priorities after you are hunkered down right? Then hang up the phone and wait.

A good light that you test and shoot with to know it works and doesn't get in your way.

A side saddle to increase ammo on the gun.

High visibility follower or textured.

Possible a stock shell caddy for increased ammo on the gun if you feel you need it.

Load with Buckshot and have a few slugs on standby.

I think that covers it.

Oh and train with it, take a class with your shotgun to really see how you do with it.

Exactly.  This shotgun is for my girlfriend.  I work night and I want her to be able to not only identify her target but to also stay put...I'm not wanting her to search through the house with the light....

I also get that to many people there are no accessories needed on shotguns.  I like to keep it simple too, but I do want/need a light for this set up.  I think I am going to go with an Elzetta light mount and a Surefire light ride on it.  The oversized safety and maybe a night sight front bead.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#6]
My almost-22 year old 500A has a Side-Saddle shell holder on it, as well as a coat of Krylon camouflage paint. The camo is because the bluing on a 500 is ridiculously thin and prone to rusting quickly in the Tennessee humidity. I painted it a few months after buying the gun back in '91, and has been touched-up over the years to the point that the paint is quite thick in some areas.

Oh, yeah.. I also added a hi-visibility front sight bead, due to losing the brass one that had been on there for almost 20 years. I epoxied the new one in, and it ain't coming off this time.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 10:07:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Take the plug out of the magazine.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 4:54:08 AM EDT
[#8]
for a mossberg 500 all you need is a field brl. an 18 inch brl. and a cleaning kit.  oh and lots of ammo .
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#9]
I put Hogue stock sets on all my tactical shotguns. You will love the feel of the forend, and the 12" LOP stock will help keep the weight closer to your body ( she will apreciate that), and the short stock will allow you to square up on your target as opposed to a bladed stance. Light, side saddle. and a sling, and you will be set up very well.
My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:47:36 AM EDT
[#10]
$200 for the SBS tax stamp. Best thing I ever did to my 500 was make it legally 14.5 inches long
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:56:30 AM EDT
[#11]
The main thing I see on them that needs fixing is the plastic safety.  It falls over or gets knocked around a little bit and it snaps.  See it alot on peoples' camp/bear guns.  

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:25:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

You must live alone, because if you live with others you obviously don't care about their lives ore safety.

A light mounted on shotgun is not so you can use it to walk around your house at night. Its so that you can identify your target, so that you are not shooting at anyone else that may live with you, or that comes home in a loud manner

To the OP necessary things I would look at are obviously the plastic safety, side saddle, and probably the most important thing a way to mount a light, and easily activate it.

Also make sure you take the GF out and have her shoot in every time you go to the range so in a home invasion situation she knows how to use it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2012 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I put Hogue stock sets on all my tactical shotguns. You will love the feel of the forend, and the 12" LOP stock will help keep the weight closer to your body ( she will apreciate that), and the short stock will allow you to square up on your target as opposed to a bladed stance. Light, side saddle. and a sling, and you will be set up very well.
My 2 cents.

Thanks!  I was just coming in to post about what stock is recommended for a shorter length of pull.  That was her only gripe while holding the shotgun today.  

She will definitely shoot it.  I bought it fer her lol.  She loves to go shooting and is really interested in shooting skeet.  I have a light and I am getting a sling.

So I currently have:
-Elzetta light mount (QD thumbscrew)
-Surefire 6PX PRO (tactical version had a better UI except that it wouldn't allow a momentary on if you slightly depress the button....If I change my mind on which one I like better I will just order both.)
-Oversized (metal) safety
-Allen sleeve (holds 5 more rounds on the buttstock....don't love this method but I know it works well enough on the 870.)

Wants:
-Possibly a night sight front bead (not a big deal since having a bead is better than a replacement falling off)
-Sling
-Shorter LOP stock (I am thinking 12")
-Possible side saddle for more rounds to replace the Allen sleeve
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
On a plastic stock, stipple the pistol grip for texture.  My Mossy has a 20" barrel and 7 shot tube so no barrel/tube swaps needed.  

As far as advice, adjust the stock, #1 thing that will improve shooting for a smaller statured shooter.  Then shoot the snot out of it with Buck, slugs and shot to see what shoots best. Then shoot it enough to feel confident with it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for the tips on the 500 Hogue Grip.  Just ordered my overmolded set with 12" LOP.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 6:57:17 PM EDT
[#16]
for me a home defense pump action shotgun is perfect in its basic form.  There are no "must haves".  However, I have found for my 870s that a mag extension and shorter length of pull are simple additions. the only downside to mag extension is weight, it adds more than you think IMO.  Im saving for a surefire G2 for my rifle, and I will try it on my wingmaster. i wont put the light on and leave the mag extension on, too heavy. I will have to decide which I want more.  I also have an allen buttstock shell holder (5-7 bucks at walmart or academy), but again thats weight. Alot of guys will say you should have a sling on a hd shotgun, for weapon retention. I dont have one on all the time, but you may like that. Maybe a VTAC?
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:03:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Well a light is a must....it is for her and I need her to identify her target....It might be me coming home if I am out of it and, for whatever reason, don't let her know it is me like I have discussed with her.  I try to empathize with how freaked out she would be in that scenario.  A light is a big need.  Shorter length of pull is a must.  After holding it for only a few seconds she commented on how awkward it was to square up and shoulder the Mossberg 500.  And I want her to practice shooting it the right way (the slugs are gonna pack a punch too).

Aside from that, the sling is for retention, she uses my AR the same way so that will likely help her, I feel.  As far as the extra weight goes, it is a light set up (remember the aluminum receiver on the Mossbergs) so a few extra shells will only add weight that might help her....more weight will be better for recoil management (every once counts!).

Thanks again guys.  I would say I am relatively set on what I will need/use at this time.  I'll post up pictures when everything comes in (should be next week).
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:07:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Well a light is a must....it is for her and I need her to identify her target....It might be me coming home if I am out of it and, for whatever reason, don't let her know it is me like I have discussed with her.  I try to empathize with how freaked out she would be in that scenario.  A light is a big need.  Shorter length of pull is a must.  After holding it for only a few seconds she commented on how awkward it was to square up and shoulder the Mossberg 500.  And I want her to practice shooting it the right way (the slugs are gonna pack a punch too).

Aside from that, the sling is for retention, she uses my AR the same way so that will likely help her, I feel.  As far as the extra weight goes, it is a light set up (remember the aluminum receiver on the Mossbergs) so a few extra shells will only add weight that might help her....more weight will be better for recoil management (every once counts!).

Thanks again guys.  I would say I am relatively set on what I will need/use at this time.  I'll post up pictures when everything comes in (should be next week).

My bad, everything I recommended you already have I just didnt read all the way through.  Good luck settin it up
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:13:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My bad, everything I recommended you already have I just didnt read all the way through.  Good luck settin it up

Na, it's all good.  Glad to see others agree.

I will modify the 870 for skeet shooting but for home defense the shorter LOP will be great for her.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:39:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Alloy trigger group if serious. I've had the plastic trigger group fall out.
Alloy or steel safety button is absolutely neccessary. I've had 2 safeties break.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Alloy trigger group if serious. I've had the plastic trigger group fall out.
Alloy or steel safety button is absolutely neccessary. I've had 2 safeties break.

It actually came with an oversized metal safety.  The manufacturer escapes me but it was a good brand.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 11:06:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Exactly.  This shotgun is for my girlfriend

Probably the only thing it needs is a shorter stock.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 7:07:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  This shotgun is for my girlfriend

Probably the only thing it needs is a shorter stock.

And a light.  I want her to see her target...it might not be a bad guy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 9:54:47 AM EDT
[#24]
So you are teaching her to shoot a gun in a capacity to possibly end the life of a human being, but not teaching her communication skills?
Sounds legit....
A simple " WHO IS THERE I HAVE A WEAPON AND AM CALLING THE POLICE!"  Would do. If you live in an area where you stumbling in after a boys night out can be mistaken for a break in, then you need to move.
As far as shooting a family member, who hears a bump in the night, jumps up grabs a gun, and starts running through the house without checking on sleeping family first? Make sure everyone is secure first, THEN  confront the threat. defense 101.
But you do what you want, its your gun, house and GF.

if you are concerned with recoil and LOP for her, look into the Knoxx stocks. Great recoil reduction and a limbsaver recoil pad. Then you could both shoot it comfortably.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 10:50:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
So you are teaching her to shoot a gun in a capacity to possibly end the life of a human being, but not teaching her communication skills?
Sounds legit....
A simple " WHO IS THERE I HAVE A WEAPON AND AM CALLING THE POLICE!"  Would do. If you live in an area where you stumbling in after a boys night out can be mistaken for a break in, then you need to move.
As far as shooting a family member, who hears a bump in the night, jumps up grabs a gun, and starts running through the house without checking on sleeping family first? Make sure everyone is secure first, THEN  confront the threat. defense 101.
But you do what you want, its your gun, house and GF.

if you are concerned with recoil and LOP for her, look into the Knoxx stocks. Great recoil reduction and a limbsaver recoil pad. Then you could both shoot it comfortably.

I am teaching her both.
I didn't think it was necessary to give you a life lesson on where I am coming from and any of the background.  It is for my gf, it is for home defense.  That should be sufficient.  I wasn't asking for techniques or tactics because I have that figured out.

Besides, in regards to your defense 101, I live with just her and I work night shifts (pretty sure I said that above) so there is no one else that needs "secure[d]".....so quit ASSuming.
Link Posted: 9/9/2012 6:14:05 PM EDT
[#26]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top