User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 18
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 10:39:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Bumpity
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 3:08:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This is a GREAT Thread! I have been putting together one myself. Pickup a 12g at a LGS, put Choate survivor stock/fore end on it, getting chamber adapters, clip on fiber optic sight (no bead) and hammer extension. I'm looking for a recoil pad for the Survivor stock and a butt cuff/shell holder that will fit the stock as well. Being a larger stock not sure what will fit. Also looking at Duracoating or painting , and some sort of rear sight or optic mount that dos not require a lot of gun smiting. Any suggestions on what type of finish for the metal, butt cuff/shell holder and rear (or full set) sight/optic mount. I want to be able to shoot diff calibers with the adapters and be able to hit my target. Anything else I'm missing??

Thank you all for the great info!!.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:50:20 AM EDT
[#3]
This is my H&R 12GA. bought new and modified myself. I cut down the barrel to 18.5" then re-beaded with a tap/bead set from Brownells, shaved down the rear of the stock to accommodate the Limb Saver made for the H&R magnum single shot, added the ammo sleeve and stained the furniture with Minwax Sedona Red. Pretty nice little shotgun that could be toted anywhere. I'm thinking about picking up any used ones I see cheap just to modify them.

Link Posted: 5/16/2014 8:54:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Very nice, how did the bead/tap work? Can an amateur work it?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 9:30:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks
View Quote

Pretty simple.  

Just order the drill and tap from Brownells.  It comes with the appropriately sized drill bit and the tap needed to thread it.  Then just order the bead of your choice with the right thread size and pitch to match.

The hardest part is making sure you drill the hole in the exact center.  I've bought two shotguns this year where someone had cut them back and installed beads.  Both beads were off-center.    Not a huge deal in my case since I planned to cut the barrel back more anyway, but it does show how easy it is to screw it up if you don't take the time to do it right.  Probably the easiest way to do this for the home tinkerer is to mark and drill the hole for the new bead before cutting the barrel.  That way you can use the original bead as a reference.  Just tie a fine thread to the bead and center it as best you can by eye.  Then pull the thread tight down the barrel and center in as best you can on the rear of the receiver, and mark the new bead location using the stringline.  After that it's just a matter of making sure you start the tap in line with the hole so that the threads will be in line with the axis and the bead will thread in straight.  There are other ways of course, but this one is pretty simple for anyone to do and will get you close enough for gov't work on a short barreled shotgun.

They also sell a little bead tool that helps screw the beads in and out without marring them.  Just get the one to match whatever size bead you pick.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
While not being the most "tactical" gun it still has its uses and can be much more versatile and compact than other long guns. I have a H&R 158 that I bought for $60 due to its rough shape. I refinished the gun and I cut down to 18.5 and have it set up for a survival situation. I have a butt stock shell holder that carries a flare, less lethal rubber slug, #8 birdshot, 3" magnum 00 buck, 3" magnum slug, and a .22lr  adapter. Inside the stock there is 20 rounds of .22, a tube of CLP,  3 ft of paracord and a bore mop. I used the sealed straw technique that is in the outdoor forum to keep the .22s from bouncing around in the stock and to make the small tube of CLP. I am debating on getting a sling to carry more shells and a small multitool for take down purposes. Here is the shotgun after refinishing and damn is it a hoot to shoot with 3" slugs.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/Misc.jpg
View Quote

Never carried anything in my magpul pistol grip.

Now, I will carry some CLP in a short straw.  THANKS for that idea.  And an extra 2032 for my new Burris TAC30

TXL
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty simple.  

Just order the drill and tap from Brownells.  It comes with the appropriately sized drill bit and the tap needed to thread it.  Then just order the bead of your choice with the right thread size and pitch to match.

The hardest part is making sure you drill the hole in the exact center.  I've bought two shotguns this year where someone had cut them back and installed beads.  Both beads were off-center.    Not a huge deal in my case since I planned to cut the barrel back more anyway, but it does show how easy it is to screw it up if you don't take the time to do it right.  Probably the easiest way to do this for the home tinkerer is to mark and drill the hole for the new bead before cutting the barrel.  That way you can use the original bead as a reference.  Just tie a fine thread to the bead and center it as best you can by eye.  Then pull the thread tight down the barrel and center in as best you can on the rear of the receiver, and mark the new bead location using the stringline.  After that it's just a matter of making sure you start the tap in line with the hole so that the threads will be in line with the axis and the bead will thread in straight.  There are other ways of course, but this one is pretty simple for anyone to do and will get you close enough for gov't work on a short barreled shotgun.

They also sell a little bead tool that helps screw the beads in and out without marring them.  Just get the one to match whatever size bead you pick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Pretty simple.  

I pretty much did what you said, then scribed the spot to drill and did so with a drill press. I used a chop saw to cut the barrel, then cleaned up and re-blued the end.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 6:45:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I pretty much did what you said, then scribed the spot to drill and did so with a drill press. I used a chop saw to cut the barrel, then cleaned up and re-blued the end.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

Pretty simple.  

Yeah, I forgot to mention using a drill press.  I'm sure others have done it with a hand drill, but personally I'd only drill the bead hole with a drill press with the barrel leveled and clamped securely.  Might be a little fiddly getting everything set up just right but it'll significantly reduce the chances of screwing it up.

Just remember, if you're cutting the barrel back to 18.5" and screw up the bead hole, you only get one more chance before the barrel is trash or for a NFA gun.  Assuming, of course, that you're setting the bead back a more or less standard distance from the muzzle...
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 9:24:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Triple AAA +++work for GunCat and his barrel work!
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 8:27:33 PM EDT
[#10]
I think I am going to start looking for a single shot in 20 gauge or .410, just to have something different.
I have enjoyed the two 12 gauge projects I have done since this thread started.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:11:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think I am going to start looking for a single shot in 20 gauge or .410, just to have something different.
I have enjoyed the two 12 gauge projects I have done since this thread started.
View Quote

Wifes school has had t derail some of my projects...still need to get mine cut down.
Link Posted: 5/18/2014 10:34:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
...still need to get mine cut down.
View Quote

Me too.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 11:43:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Me too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

Somebody in this thread says the member Guncat here...does a great job.

GunCat
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 1:00:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

GunCat
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Me too.

GunCat

ME!

He's done two shotgun barrels for me and it was excellent work.
Will use him again if I need any such work again.
Highly recommended!
Link Posted: 6/4/2014 9:43:14 PM EDT
[#15]
have yet to find one around my parts

Link Posted: 6/5/2014 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
have yet to find one around my parts

View Quote

Pawn shops the smaller and more out of the way the better.
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:36:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Yesterday I wandered into Sports Authority and they had a Rossi Matched Set for $250. That's a 20 gauge, a .22 LR and a .243 barrel with a bag to carry it all in. I grabbed it because I'd been looking for a cheap clay pigeon buster for the wife that wouldn't break me if she didn't like it. (Bad shoulders and can't hold weight at shoulder height for long). When we got to checkout it rang up at $199. I pointed it out and they said it must be wrong on the shelf because the computer is right. Bonus. Realized today it must be the older type, the website now says they come slick top, but the .243 has a weaver base already on. Bonus bonus.

Today I hit a local pawnshop that isn't a total dirtbag fence (some around here are and I won't go in). He had an NEF on the shelf for $99.  I was about to grab it when I realized it was a 20 gauge, and the tag said it was a 12. I got it for $80. It's pretty much pristine.

There is another one at another shop for $115. Might offer them 90 and keep one as is and chop the other. Just the cheap project I needed.

Point of order: The barrel is measured all the way from the opposite end on these? I assumed so, but that means my Rossi is a 22" ( I was told 18.5 or 20) and the NEF is a 25.5" (?!?).
Link Posted: 6/9/2014 6:57:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Point of order: The barrel is measured all the way from the opposite end on these? I assumed so, but that means my Rossi is a 22" ( I was told 18.5 or 20) and the NEF is a 25.5" (?!?).
View Quote

Barrel length should be measured the same as on other shotguns... from breech face to muzzle, with action closed.  But yeah, on a break action that's pretty much end to end,
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 1:54:56 AM EDT
[#19]
Just double checking. I think mine may have been cut once already. The bead looks a tad off and it's an odd length.

I guess the better question woulda been what is considered the breech face on these. All my prior experience is with pumps. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:03:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Drop a dowel down the barrel while assembled to measure
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 8:17:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just double checking. I think mine may have been cut once already. The bead looks a tad off and it's an odd length.

I guess the better question woulda been what is considered the breech face on these. All my prior experience is with pumps. Thanks.
View Quote

The breech face is pretty much the same thing on all guns...  It's where the cartridge head of a loaded round rests when the gun is loaded and in battery, and where the firing pin hole is.... be it a slide, a bolt, or in the case of a break action, the part of the frame where the rear of the chamber locks up.  One exception would be on revolvers.  The breech face would be the same, but the barrel length on revolvers is measured from the cylinder gap instead of from the breech as on most other designs.

You can just close the action and stick a tape down the bore until it stops, or as pc299 suggests, drop a dowel rod down the bore, mark it at the muzzle end, and measure from the end of the dowel to your mark.  This latter method is how LEOs often check barrel length for legality... with a dowel marked at 18" for shotguns and 16" for rifles.  This is the safest and most accurate way of measuring guns of different designs, but with the way a break action shotgun is designed with the rear of the chamber locking up to the breech, you can measure just the overall length of the barrel from end to end.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:03:55 AM EDT
[#22]
I must have the bug bad. I was in a neighboring town for unrelated reasons, and with 30 minutes to kill wandered into a pawnshop that I'd never been into before. Two, count them two, 12 GA Pardner SB1's. I got the better of the two for $100.00. This'll be the chop job, I'll keep the 20 GA intact for clay pigeons.

Three guns in three days, a personal record. Even odder (for me) that they are all single shots.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 10:11:10 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Three guns in three days, a personal record. Even odder (for me) that they are all single shots.
View Quote

Same here. I walked into the gunstore to buy a SB1 and walked out with that and a single shot 45-70.
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:30:11 PM EDT
[#24]

I walked into my favorite LGS, and they didn't have any H&R Single Shot's.  But, I did put a down payments on a couple of very nice Rossi 12ga Single Shots.  So I have to ask to anyone who has done these Tactical/SHTF Mods to a Rossi;

Are the Rossi's a good shotgun for these kinds of modifications?

Also, I did put a down payment on a really sweet, 12ga. Matching, Takedown 1940 Model 12 Winchester.  With the Rossi's & the Win Model 12, the deal came to $425.

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 12:42:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

, the deal came to $425.

View Quote

Damn!  You must have got a good deal on the M-12, or else the Rossis were almost free...

I've been on the lookout for a M-12 for a while now and when I have found one they've wanted stupid money for them.  As in, $699 for a well used plain Jane M-12 with less than 10% finish remaining, stupid money...    I realize that's not typical, but so far I've not had any luck finding one for realistic money...
Link Posted: 6/11/2014 1:47:35 PM EDT
[#26]
finally found me one on FB....shown with my stevens double..

Link Posted: 6/11/2014 2:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are the Rossi's a good shotgun for these kinds of modifications?

I looked into the Rossi's but I want to use the Store-Arm forend and I doubted they would fit. I'll chop the 12 GA down for a backpack/survival/refinishing project and keep the much nicer 20 GA intact for busting clays.

I really want a 45-70. No use for it whatsoever and the wife is starting to panic.

View Quote

Link Posted: 6/12/2014 9:54:08 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
, the deal came to $425.

Originally Posted by Imaposer2:
Damn! You must have got a good deal on the M-12, or else the Rossis were almost free...
View Quote
View Quote

After talking to Store Owner for a couple of minutes we came to an agreement of $425 total, $275 for the Win M-12, and $75 each for the Rossi's.

The Winchester M-12 has had the original Vent Rib Barrel cut down to 22" and one of those large  old Cutts type Compensator, or whatever added to the end of the barrel, plus it was re-blued some time ago,

and it was a little too much, and the re-blue job was too high luster in spots, not completely even.

When I do finally pick this up, I'm going to have to send the barrel to Guncat to cut the Barrel down to Riot Barrel length, and remove the Vent Rib,.then I'll have it either Parkerized or Matte Blued.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 11:49:54 AM EDT
[#29]
Finally finished. Hard to believe this thing had a 28" barrel yesterday. Local GS cut it down, rebeaded and reblued it for $50...Same day! Looks factory. Did a great job. Just need a sling now. Pictured with the eberlestock scabbard.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 10:30:34 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 11:55:04 AM EDT
[#31]
Mine is in the back of the safe and I need to get on it but have been distracted with a pistol build...
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:26:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

After talking to Store Owner for a couple of minutes we came to an agreement of $425 total, $275 for the Win M-12, and $75 each for the Rossi's.

The Winchester M-12 has had the original Vent Rib Barrel cut down to 22" and one of those large  old Cutts type Compensator, or whatever added to the end of the barrel, plus it was re-blued some time ago,

and it was a little too much, and the re-blue job was too high luster in spots, not completely even.

When I do finally pick this up, I'm going to have to send the barrel to Guncat to cut the Barrel down to Riot Barrel length, and remove the Vent Rib,.then I'll have it either Parkerized or Matte Blued.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
, the deal came to $425.

Originally Posted by Imaposer2:
Damn! You must have got a good deal on the M-12, or else the Rossis were almost free...

I like the vent rib on short barrels. Depending on the receiver sometimes it looks better to leave it. One of the coolest short shoguns I have com across was a old model 12 with the solid rib that had been cut down.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 6:12:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 10:48:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I bought a Rossi youth 12 gauge

It already has a short stock and barrel.
Link Posted: 8/7/2014 11:44:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a box of magnum loads for it, shoot them, and come back and give us a range report.
Those light little Rossi's kick like a mule.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 8:09:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Get a box of magnum loads for it, shoot them, and come back and give us a range report.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked at a 10 gauge at the gunstore Wednesday. Couldn't bring my self to buy something I know I'll shoot twice and say fuckit, never again.
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I looked at a 10 gauge at the gunstore Wednesday. Couldn't bring my self to buy something I know I'll shoot twice and say fuckit, never again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I haven't even shot one once and I can already say, fuckit, never....  I just can't find a reason to say that I enjoy getting pounded unnecessarily.  I mean, sure, if I'm hunting big dangerous game, then heavy recoil is the price you pay for an effective firearm.  It's a price worth paying, IMO, but shooting a tiny little light weight 10ga just for the hell of it?  No thanks....
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 10:06:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes they do
It is what is , carry a lot use  a little .

It is small  light  shoots well, I like it
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 12:18:58 PM EDT
[#41]
I feel like I should bump this for the great information within.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:48:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Now I just need to find a 10 ga or 12 ga locally
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 9:41:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I don't know if anyone's discussed it in this 26 page thread (and I'm too lazy too look) but I think a good SHTF use would be...

snatch-and-grabs.

They're highly concealable when shortened on both ends, and you only need one "application of force guy" to deliver a beanbag into the target subject's ribs or gut. Others provide lifting and security. Then into your van he goes, all ready for your S2 team.

It would be pretty low on my asset acquisition list though. A breacher can also do this, and is only slightly more noticeable before you fire it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:59:05 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
This is my H&R 12GA. bought new and modified myself. I cut down the barrel to 18.5" then re-beaded with a tap/bead set from Brownells, shaved down the rear of the stock to accommodate the Limb Saver made for the H&R magnum single shot, added the ammo sleeve and stained the furniture with Minwax Sedona Red. Pretty nice little shotgun that could be toted anywhere. I'm thinking about picking up any used ones I see cheap just to modify them.

http://i.imgur.com/YCtfGC0.jpg
View Quote

Very slick job. My very first gun ever was an H&R Topper Jr. in 20 gauge back about 1975? My brother got one too. I was probably 13. I outgrew it before too long, but just about 10 years later, my dad was buying them in .12 Ga. and cutting the bbls down to the limit for a simple, behind the door gun that the wife or whoever could operate with ease. About 3 or 4 of them were so modified within the family. I wish I had my original one back, not sure if it was a 490, but I think so. I'd do the same with a 12 if I got a good deal on one. Short bbl, aftermarket stock that would hold several rounds, and a cerakote finish, maybe even a cheap flashlight mount to store under my rear truck seat, or even weather proofed and wrapped up and ziplocked underneath my truck frame or inside the bumper. I like the idea of the cartridge adaptors. Can you imagine one with a built in suppressor that drops down the bbl in .22 or 9mm?  Oh, what fun. Surprise! But then you'd need some type of robust sighting system for anything more than shotshell. A flare, some buck, birdshot, and maybe some dragon's breath would round out the package.....

I used to think the Ithica O/U combo guns would be super nice survival guns as well, I never owned one so I don't know if they broke down or not.  A .12 ga under a .22 or.223 would work for me. Or a .223 with a .22 adaptor. But buttstock storage would be paramount for me to be practical for such a role.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 3:01:09 AM EDT
[#45]
sorry, double post
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:36:29 PM EDT
[#46]
I've had this New England 20 gauge since I was 7 years old. Now you have me curious to turn it into something else

Link Posted: 9/20/2014 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I used to think the Ithica O/U combo guns would be super nice survival guns as well, I never owned one so I don't know if they broke down or not.  A .12 ga under a .22 or.223 would work for me. Or a .223 with a .22 adaptor. But buttstock storage would be paramount for me to be practical for such a role.
View Quote

The $$$$ for the Baikal 12GA/.30-06 have dropped in the past year.
May be something to consider.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:41:19 PM EDT
[#48]
Those of you that cut your barrels down on your own, what did you use besides a hacksaw, pipe cutter, file, and Dremnel? How did you go about it? I might have a 10 ga or 12 ga to cut down.
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:42:00 PM EDT
[#49]
What's the name of the board member who cuts bad crowns barrels?
Link Posted: 10/1/2014 8:49:28 PM EDT
[#50]
Guncat
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top