Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Posted: 8/30/2012 11:42:45 AM EDT
I have a small shoulder bag that goes with me on the road when driving. Is is kind of a very light emergency bag or "get home" bag. A few BASIC emergency supplies in it and a G19, holster, 3 mags and 150 rounds 124gr +p+.  I also have some spare parts for a single shot H&R Handi rifle. It would cost me only about $40 to build up something like this. Credit to the builder, not my picture. I think the one picture actually has a 20" barrel.

If i cut it down to 18.5 and used a short LOP which fits me better it would be very compact. Also it breaks down to be only 18.5" which should fit in just about any back pack. I figure a cheap elastic shell holder could keep a few spare rounds on hand. I think the main attraction is the cheap (almost free) price, compact size, and VERY compact break down.

So this is the question. If things got bad and you were out of your home. Would you be happier to have a G19 or a G19 AND the single shot 12ga? Is there any real value to adding something like this to the trunk "supply"?
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 11:49:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I have a small shoulder bag that goes with me on the road when driving. Is is kind of a very light emergency bag or "get home" bag. A few BASIC emergency supplies in it and a G19, holster, 3 mags and 150 rounds 124gr +p+.  I also have some spare parts for a single shot H&R Handi rifle. It would cost me only about $40 to build up something like this. Credit to the builder, not my picture. I think the one picture actually has a 20" barrel.
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a147/rc51kid/Shotty023.jpg
If i cut it down to 18.5 and used a short LOP which fits me better it would be very compact. Also it breaks down to be only 18.5" which should fit in just about any back pack. I figure a cheap elastic shell holder could keep a few spare rounds on hand. I think the main attraction is the cheap (almost free) price, compact size, and VERY compact break down.

So this is the question. If things got bad and you were out of your home. Would you be happier to have a G19 or a G19 AND the single shot 12ga? Is there any real value to adding something like this to the trunk "supply"?

food hunting? erm...more gun is better than 1 un
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 11:51:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Any firearm would have value during SHTF! It would be easy to clean, be a good loaner firearm and have trade value and not the end of the world if it were lost.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 12:09:50 PM EDT
[#3]
It WILL be worth more in trade in shtf than anything else
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 12:12:46 PM EDT
[#4]
SS Iver Johnson helped my grandfather feed his family during the Great Depression.  I am proud to say that gun now resides in my safe.  It may help feed my family if the Kenyan gets re-elected.
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 2:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 2:59:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Clint Smith thinks so. go to 1:44 for demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw
Link Posted: 8/30/2012 7:18:33 PM EDT
[#7]
You can also pick up one or two of these rifled chamber adapters to increase the versatility.  

Short Lane
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 8:07:46 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd say any gun is better than no gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 10:13:54 AM EDT
[#9]
While not being the most "tactical" gun it still has its uses and can be much more versatile and compact than other long guns. I have a H&R 158 that I bought for $60 due to its rough shape. I refinished the gun and I cut down to 18.5 and have it set up for a survival situation. I have a butt stock shell holder that carries a flare, less lethal rubber slug, #8 birdshot, 3" magnum 00 buck, 3" magnum slug, and a .22lr  adapter. Inside the stock there is 20 rounds of .22, a tube of CLP,  3 ft of paracord and a bore mop. I used the sealed straw technique that is in the outdoor forum to keep the .22s from bouncing around in the stock and to make the small tube of CLP. I am debating on getting a sling to carry more shells and a small multitool for take down purposes. Here is the shotgun after refinishing and damn is it a hoot to shoot with 3" slugs.

Link Posted: 8/31/2012 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#10]
AMCJ76, I really like what you did with that, it does look handy!
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 11:43:16 AM EDT
[#11]
For how cheap one can pick one of these up for, this seems like a fun project gun.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#12]
I think over 150 is too much.  They are great guns.  My Father in Law has a cabinet full of them in various calibers.  I like that 18.5 12 ga.  Be very handy.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
While not being the most "tactical" gun it still has its uses and can be much more versatile and compact than other long guns. I have a H&R 158 that I bought for $60 due to its rough shape. I refinished the gun and I cut down to 18.5 and have it set up for a survival situation. I have a butt stock shell holder that carries a flare, less lethal rubber slug, #8 birdshot, 3" magnum 00 buck, 3" magnum slug, and a .22lr  adapter. Inside the stock there is 20 rounds of .22, a tube of CLP,  3 ft of paracord and a bore mop. I used the sealed straw technique that is in the outdoor forum to keep the .22s from bouncing around in the stock and to make the small tube of CLP. I am debating on getting a sling to carry more shells and a small multitool for take down purposes. Here is the shotgun after refinishing and damn is it a hoot to shoot with 3" slugs.

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/Misc.jpg

Does that have a bead on it?  I really like how you did that and would like to do something similar.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 12:38:05 PM EDT
[#14]
I picked up an H&R 88 for $75 at a gun show. Full choke on it so I can't shoot slugs, bead sight.

Haven't done anything with it (still stock). Considered cutting it down but am concerned about hitting the target without a sight on it.

For $75 and some shells, it's an option for stashing, caching, kicking around in the trunk, or where ever else you don't want to risk theft or damage to a more expensive gun.

A 12 gauge, even a single shot, is a HUGE firepower upgrade over a G19.  You could always dump it if circumstances turn it into a liability.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#15]
You can still shoot rifled slugs out of a full choke. The lead will squish enough.  
check this single shot out
(hyperlink won't work on my phone)
http://www.armslist.com/posts/523062/columbus-ohio-shotguns-for-trade––one-of-a-kind-tactical-m16-style––410-single-shot
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For how cheap one can pick one of these up for, this seems like a fun project gun.

One of the local shops that does not have the best prices has at least 3 for around $80-65ish.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:19:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Walmart had those H&R single shots for $89 forever..I thik they are $107 nowdays..Good guns  kick like a mule in 12 guage without a buttpad.
Link Posted: 8/31/2012 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Clint Smith thinks so. go to 1:44 for demo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhgwHQCJwWw

I was thinking about that same video. Just goes to show what practice can do. Hell yes, I'll use a single-shot if I have to!
Link Posted: 9/1/2012 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Bought used at gunshow, cut down to 18.5", new bead installed, Brownells Alumahyde on the metal and refinished the wood.

I still want to add a sling and cut a bit off the stock then fit a good recoil pad.

Currently it hurts my trigger finger more than my shoulder with 3" slugs

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 1:19:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I keep this in my basement for emergencies, 12 gauge, 20" barrel with fiberoptic bead, Federal low recoil 00 buck

Link Posted: 9/2/2012 1:28:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Bought used at gunshow, cut down to 18.5", new bead installed, Brownells Alumahyde on the metal and refinished the wood.

I still want to add a sling and cut a bit off the stock then fit a good recoil pad.

Currently it hurts my trigger finger more than my shoulder with 3" slugs

<a href="http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/706/feb2011guns004.jpg/" target="_blank">http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/5691/feb2011guns004.jpg</a>

This is something I have been looking at doing, and in fact I plan to go to a gun show next weekend hoping to find a good deal. I want to do this partly because I think it would be a fun project and I am just a gun nut, but also partly because I really think it would be a useful tool to keep in my vehicle, yet not something I would worry all that much about ($$$) if it were stolen.

Even outside of SHTF situations I could envision practical uses for it, like dispatching a snake if the need arises.

Link Posted: 9/3/2012 9:42:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I am super interested in doing this now.  I am compiling a list of parts and things to get it done.
Link Posted: 9/3/2012 10:39:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Almost bought a new Pardner today to do this with. I held off to see if I can find one used.

I want to do this bad.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 1:06:16 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Almost bought a new Pardner today to do this with. I held off to see if I can find one used.

I want to do this bad.

Got mine for $50 at a gun show, thet are a dime a dozen around here since deer hunting is shotgun/pistol only in Ohio, a lot of people get them as a starter gun then dump them.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 4:47:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Walmart had those H&R single shots for $89 forever..I thik they are $107 nowdays..Good guns  kick like a mule in 12 guage without a buttpad.

I built one of these long ago and fitting it with a Limbsaver recoil pad REALLY calmed it down. Now a days you can get a slip on for it and they do the same job. Besc recoil pad on the market. I have tried them all and the old stand by for me was the Decelerator, it aint even close to a Limb saver.

Link Posted: 9/4/2012 7:58:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Does anyone know of any replacement stocks or forends for the Pardner?
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Brownells has factory replacements and I think ATI still makes the AR-5 type tacticool junk.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brownells has factory replacements and I think ATI still makes the AR-5 type tacticool junk.

I checked MidwayUSA and saw Choate makes a decent looking stock and forend.
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:48:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Op, I cordially hate you.

Very Truly Yours,
Feudist
Link Posted: 9/4/2012 10:59:11 PM EDT
[#30]
Seems really cool. I would like to do something like this as well. I would use it in SHTF. Nice to have a scatter gun in a pinch and like previous people have stated, cheap enough you don't care if you have to dump it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:26:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Do these take down at all?  I was thinking you could take it apart and leave it a truck/car/gethome bag.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Do these take down at all?  I was thinking you could take it apart and leave it a truck/car/gethome bag.

Yes,

My H&R topper 158 all you do is take one screw out and the forearm pops off then you can take the barrel off. Broken down the action and barrel are about the same length of 18.5 if it is a cut barrel. It stores quite compactly and in a rush you can snap the barrel on the receiver and fire it without the forearm wood although not recommended.

Here's a little video to help push you over the edge to get a single shot 12
H&R 3" slug video
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes,

My H&R topper 158 all you do is take one screw out and the forearm pops off then you can take the barrel off. Broken down the action and barrel are about the same length of 18.5 if it is a cut barrel. It stores quite compactly and in a rush you can snap the barrel on the receiver and fire it without the forearm wood although not recommended.

H&R 3" slug video

That was a nice shooting stance.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

H&R 3" slug video

Too much fun !!  

I gotta have one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#35]
Just stopped by the local pawn shop and hes got a ton of them.  Gonna go back and make a deal in the next few days.
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#36]
Looks like a new england single shot. I have one in 20ga and it is the single most reliable firearm i own. I take it phesant hunting and it has more birds than my dads 12ga auto
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 4:31:13 PM EDT
[#37]
I just found this video on reloading 12 gauge shells with black powder and pistol primers. This technique would be very useful in an extended shtf situation and would work perfectly in conjunction with the break action 12 gauges. I doubt you would want to feed these ad hock shells to an auto loader or pump.

Houndsman off grid shotgun reloading
A little long winded but good info
Link Posted: 9/5/2012 9:23:32 PM EDT
[#38]
I got a h&r 176...it's a (GET THIS) a 36 inch barrel and it's a 10 gauge. fucker is mad heavy!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 12:46:04 AM EDT
[#39]
Anyone have first hand knowledge of both the H&R/NEF single shot and the Rossi single shot shotguns?  I'm curious if one or the other is superior.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#40]
From what I have handled I think the H&R have a little bit better quality but that just personal opinion.  I found a Marlin at the Pawn Shop I think I may go with it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 11:17:52 AM EDT
[#41]
Speaking from experience, if you are far from help and your vehicle is boxed in by violent gangbangers armed with knives a single shot 12ga and a handfull of OOB is worth a million dollars.  (Of course a double or pump would have made me feel better, but the single handled the situation just fine!)  

Addendum:  I've never known anyone personally who had to fire more than two 12ga OOB rounds in any single self-defense situation. YMMV!
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#42]
i cant believe the interest in this. I figured for sure that i would get laughed of the board and every one would be telling me i need a auto or something. Funny thing is i have gotten even more interested in this as a cheap little project. But unfortunately i picked up a factory threaded barrel for my G19 that PSA had on sale a few days ago. So my play money is tight for a week or so. But i think i will give one of these a try soon.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:23:41 PM EDT
[#43]
One SHTF use for single shot shotguns I see are making game tripwires (be sure that they are pointed in a safe direction).
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#44]
This will make an excellent truck gun.  It will ride in the secret compartment of my SUV, in all its compact little glory.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#45]
Just remember that when TS has truly HTF, a single-shot 12 gauge may help you get a better, or at least higher-capacity, firearm.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 12:54:44 AM EDT
[#46]
How interchangeable are the barrels on the H&R shotguns?  I was under the impression that I would not be able to take a .410 barrel and stick it on a 12ga, but can I have two 12ga barrels and one receiver that both work without any trouble?  

Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
How interchangeable are the barrels on the H&R shotguns?  I was under the impression that I would not be able to take a .410 barrel and stick it on a 12ga, but can I have two 12ga barrels and one receiver that both work without any trouble?  

I believe if you want the ability to use different barrels/gauges, you have to send it to H&R and have them fit it to the gun. That is what I heard, could be wrong.
Link Posted: 9/7/2012 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 12:39:49 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Anyone have first hand knowledge of both the H&R/NEF single shot and the Rossi single shot shotguns?  I'm curious if one or the other is superior.

I've owned and used both quite a bit. To me, the H&R feels like it's of better quality. It's a bit heavier, and the hammer and action release seem more positive and crisp to me. Now, that said, neither has ever given me any trouble: no misfires, failures to eject, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2012 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

You are going down a serious slippery slope with this. They H&R single shots are a real addiction to some people. The rifle frames are different than the shotgun frames. The rifle frames are heat treated differently to handle higher pressures and use a smaller firing pin. But other than that they are basically the same. Basically H&R will fit shotgun and pistol cartridge barrels to "newer" serial number shotgun frames. They will fit shotgun, pistol caliber and rifler barrels to rifle frames. Barrels run about $60 for shotgun and $100 fro rifle. They factory will only sell the barrels to you if you send in your frame and have them "fit" it to your frame. You cant just buy the barrel. That being said there is a large market of used barrels floating around. 99% of the time they lock right up with no fitting.

On a side not i have my rifle frame in the mail right now to have a 357 barrel fit to it. When i get it back it will be cut to 16.5 and threaded to fit my SWR Octane 9 suppressor. I will be able to shoot 38 spl and subsonic (200+ gr) 357 through it. I already reload 38/357, cheap brass and lead bullets, and can shoot at "pistol" only ranges. It will be super quiet with no action noise, short (no action to add length), and brake down to 17" or so.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top