BCM
User Panel

Page / 18
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fun factor is what makes the rifles a good buy. The .223 bull barrel is quite accurate and a blast to shoot. A shotgun/centerfire combo, what's not to like?  

How easy is it to take the barrel off of the frame?

Matter of seconds. One screw releases the forearm, which holds the barrel in place.

Okay just like an O/U or S/S then.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 6:44:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The fun factor is what makes the rifles a good buy. The .223 bull barrel is quite accurate and a blast to shoot. A shotgun/centerfire combo, what's not to like?  

How easy is it to take the barrel off of the frame?

Matter of seconds. One screw releases the forearm, which holds the barrel in place.

Okay just like an O/U or S/S then.

Yep. The one on my NEF takes a screwdriver. I think one of the Choate aftermarket forends includes a thumb screw for convenience.  

I would be nice if it had a lever like my S/S.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Coincidentally, I ran into a guy at the range Friday who had what I thought was an identical NEF 12 gauge, except his did not have an ejector. He had bought it used and at first thought something was wrong because he had to manually remove the spent shells, but when I looked at it, I realized his chamber on the back was solid all of the way around, unlike mine (below) which has a notch for the ejector.
H&R went with an extractor from an ejector due to consumer complaints and their lawyers about consumers getting struck in the forehead by ejected shells.
There were also complaints about shells not being ejected and being held in the chamber but the ejector 'jumps' the rim to leave the round stuck in the chamber. A chamber brush chucked in a drill inserted into the chamber for a few minutes fixes that issue though.
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:30:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't really explain it, but I have been enjoying the heck out of shooting this NEF, which I did not own when this thread started a couple of months ago.
I am not sure whether it's the light weight, relatively low cost of the overall simplicity - maybe a combination, but for some reason this has become one of my favorite guns.

<snip>

I know exactly what you mean about it becoming a favorite.  It's a bit of a mystery to me too why I like it so much but I do.  I think the simplicity may have a lot to do with it; I stress over how I'm going to build my ARs (silly I know) but the single shot shotgun is simplicity itself.  I own much better guns that are much better suited to pretty much everything, but the 20ga rides in the truck with me more than any other gun except my carry piece.  

Practice shooting some skeet with it and you'll surprise yourself how fast you can actually load and shoot it.  

Along the same lines I absolutely love shooting my plane Jane Marlin model 60.  
Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:38:36 PM EDT
[#5]
I think subconsciously you know you only have one shot. Makes you bear down a bit and think about what you are doing.

Link Posted: 11/8/2012 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I went a bit more Mad Max with one of mine.  
Its an old Sears and Roebuck I picked up for about $50.  I had to add a serial number to it in order to SBS it.  

Plastic/rubberized tool handle paint on the pistol grip and forend makes it pretty comfortable with low recoil rounds but it has a 3" chamber.  Its not much fun with slugs though.

8.5" barrel, 16" overall

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:51:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Try putting two shells if left hand one between index and middle finger, and one between middle and ring finger. My great uncle carried his Winchester 37 hunting like that for years and if he jumped a deer you would of thought he had an automatic or a pump. I'll bet the guns that had broken forearm studs were flopped open without support so I wouldn't do that, but once you open the action, you have the shells in hand already and while firing the gun they arent in the way. I find it easier to reload this way than reaching back and forth to the stock.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:17:11 AM EDT
[#8]
I am glad this thread isnt dying.  I am buyign a house and expense galore are popping up.  I will build one of these this winter.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 10:28:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Coincidentally, I ran into a guy at the range Friday who had what I thought was an identical NEF 12 gauge, except his did not have an ejector. He had bought it used and at first thought something was wrong because he had to manually remove the spent shells, but when I looked at it, I realized his chamber on the back was solid all of the way around, unlike mine (below) which has a notch for the ejector.
H&R went with an extractor from an ejector due to consumer complaints and their lawyers about consumers getting struck in the forehead by ejected shells.
There were also complaints about shells not being ejected and being held in the chamber but the ejector 'jumps' the rim to leave the round stuck in the chamber. A chamber brush chucked in a drill inserted into the chamber for a few minutes fixes that issue though.

Good info, thanks.  FWIW I really like the ejector. Just tilt it to the side a little before opening and the shell goes flying.  

Link Posted: 11/9/2012 12:20:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My NEF. 12ga, 18.5 bbl, $95 out the door.

Mine is very similar.  The stock on mine doesn't have any wording / logo on it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2012 9:46:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Good info, thanks.  FWIW I really like the ejector. Just tilt it to the side a little before opening and the shell goes flying.  
Yeah, I learned that after the first time it happened to me at the pleasant age of 8 years old. Funny, it was 1963 and the concept of getting a lawyer never entered my mind.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 10:46:10 AM EDT
[#12]
This thread has inspired me to make my own SHTF single shot!

I started with a beat up Savage Arms 20 gauge. The stock had lots of dings and scratches and there was hardly any bluing left on the action. I figured it would make a fun project..

I cut the barrel to 18.5" using a Kobalt pipe cutter, and then evened it up with a file and a Dremel.

Starting off with this:

Let me know what y'all think. More pics coming soon
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Don't shorten the stock unless your length of pull needs to be shorter. 12 gauge isn't like 5.56, a short stock might save a inch or so, but is it worth the extra abuse you'll get when you fire it?
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 10:18:02 AM EDT
[#14]
I already cut down the stock.. The butt plate was missing and the stock had a big chunk out of one side so I cut it down to an overall length of 27.5" I did my best to round off the stock and sand out all the dings and scratches. The grips then got coated in bedliner. I painted all the metal parts with a couple coats of low gloss black 500 degree ceramic engine paint that I had leftover from another project. I baked them in the oven for about an hour to help it cure.

The finished product:

Showing what was taken off:

The shotgun fits nicely in an old violin case I picked up from the flea market for $2.

I have put about 50 rounds through it so far. The finish is holding up great and I love the textured grips. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. It gets LOTS of attention at the range too. Several people wanted to shoot it. I haven't patterned it yet but we've had no trouble hitting milk jugs and beer cans at 15-20 yards

Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:30:40 AM EDT
[#15]
I ment to like a 11in lop. Cutting for pistol grip use is different.

Some people try and shoot a shotgun with the same length stock as a AR set for NOTCH.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 10:36:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Not sure that stock cut down like that is my cup o tea but what ever floats your boat.
Link Posted: 11/26/2012 9:41:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok who has moar pics of these little projects.  The house buying is going slow so no cash expenditures for a while.  Keep me in the game.
Link Posted: 11/27/2012 10:37:17 PM EDT
[#18]
nevermind
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 12:16:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Where are you guys finding these $50 shotguns? After reading this thread, I want to get a nef but looks like ill have to pay full price
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 1:36:46 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Where are you guys finding these $50 shotguns? After reading this thread, I want to get a nef but looks like ill have to pay full price

Pawn shops and gun shows seem to be the place.  I got mine from a fat smelly guy in the back corner of a gun show.  Wasn't $50 though, I paid $75.

Link Posted: 11/29/2012 6:59:30 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Pawn shops and gun shows seem to be the place.  I got mine from a fat smelly guy in the back corner of a gun show.  Wasn't $50 though, I paid $75.  

Yeah this.  You pretty much will find one 50-75 if you look around.  In my area they are a commonly used gun so the pawn shops are full of them.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 7:50:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
sure, as a hand-off to a local trusted person.  make sure he is reliant on you for ammo, and thus your vassal......

Huh?
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 9:29:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah this.  You pretty much will find one 50-75 if you look around.  In my area they are a commonly used gun so the pawn shops are full of them.

I haven't seen any as low as $50 . All of them I have run across at pawn shops and gun shows in my area in the last couple of months have been priced at $90 to $100.
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 9:51:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Yeah my last 12ga was $80.  Also check yard sales.
Link Posted: 11/30/2012 10:43:07 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

I haven't seen any as low as $50 . All of them I have run across at pawn shops and gun shows in my area in the last couple of months have been priced at $90 to $100.

Well my thought is this.  Especially in a pawn shop, if they have $119 ones in 60-75% condition (like my local one does) I figure there is no way they gave more than $20 on pawn for them.  If I buy one I expect to pay at least 65-75.  If I buy two I expect I can buy them for $50.  If I am gonna pay over about 75-80 bucks I might as well order a new one for about 109.  

The appeal to me is the cheapness vs. value.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 12:57:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Its an old Sears and Roebuck I picked up for about $50.  I had to add a serial number to it in order to SBS it.  

Plastic/rubberized tool handle paint on the pistol grip and forend makes it pretty comfortable with low recoil rounds but it has a 3" chamber.  Its not much fun with slugs though.

8.5" barrel, 16" overall
http://members.quixnet.net/mcress/SBS/SBS-1.jpg
http://members.quixnet.net/mcress/SBS/SBS-2.jpg

http://thelaughingmarcus.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/so-much-win.jpg?w=445

I have the same action type. Coast To Coast model 946. Anything hotter than field loads and the fucker breaks open upon firing. Can't use my favorite bird load in it(Federal Hi-Power). The gun has done this since my grandfather bought it new in the 60s. Considering the family history, I'd like to get it fixed but don't know if it's as simple as a spring or something else.
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well my thought is this.  Especially in a pawn shop, if they have $119 ones in 60-75% condition (like my local one does) I figure there is no way they gave more than $20 on pawn for them.  If I buy one I expect to pay at least 65-75.  If I buy two I expect I can buy them for $50.  If I am gonna pay over about 75-80 bucks I might as well order a new one for about 109.  

If I had found a new one at $109 I would have bought it, but the only place around here that sells them new is Academy Sports and they are asking about $180.  Just a couple of years ago they were going for about $119, but for some reason they have suddenly jumped in price, including the used market.

Probably because of this thread

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:50:00 AM EDT
[#29]
MY H+R 12ga with no SN I picked up for $95. The barrel is slightly bent at the end which is fine because I plan on cutting it down to 18.5-19 and setting a cheap fiber optic front bead on.

Link Posted: 12/2/2012 11:32:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

8.5" barrel, 16" overall
http://members.quixnet.net/mcress/SBS/SBS-1.jpg
http://members.quixnet.net/mcress/SBS/SBS-2.jpg

http://thelaughingmarcus.files.wordpress.com/2009/08/so-much-win.jpg?w=445

I have the same action type. Coast To Coast model 946. Anything hotter than field loads and the fucker breaks open upon firing. Can't use my favorite bird load in it(Federal Hi-Power). The gun has done this since my grandfather bought it new in the 60s. Considering the family history, I'd like to get it fixed but don't know if it's as simple as a spring or something else.

No problems shooting anything I've fed it so far. Not sure what the problem would be. This one has seen everything from mini shells to heavy dove load to OO buck and slugs. Some certainly hurt more than others but haven't had it break open yet.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 12:22:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

If I had found a new one at $109 I would have bought it, but the only place around here that sells them new is Academy Sports and they are asking about $180.  Just a couple of years ago they were going for about $119, but for some reason they have suddenly jumped in price, including the used market.

Probably because of this thread

I was told second hand that Wal mart will order one for you at the price of 109?  I havent confirmed it.  I do stick by my pawn shop theory though. There is now way as plentiful as they are around here that a pawn shop is giving more than $20-25 bucks on a pawn for one.  So if I have cash in hand and buy two I would like to think I can get them for no more than $60 each and hopefully 50.
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 8:37:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
MY H+R 12ga with no SN I picked up for $95. The barrel is slightly bent at the end which is fine because I plan on cutting it down to 18.5-19 and setting a cheap fiber optic front bead on.

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i153/sibirty/gun%20stuff/HR12GaNoSN.jpg

How long is that barrel, 56"?
Link Posted: 12/3/2012 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That there is a fine example of the "Granny Clampett Home Defense System".

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#34]
I can't let this thread die.

Just picked up an Iver Johnston Champion for $59.99 OTD. It is in great shape and has a 30" full choke barrel that is nice and clean. From looking at the manufacturers numbers ( GURT ) I am guessing this was made from 1940-1956. Now I have to debate whether Gurty has a date with a hack saw or not .

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 11:56:35 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Just picked up an Iver Johnston Champion for $59.99 OTD. It is in great shape and has a 30" full choke barrel that is nice and clean. From looking at the manufacturers numbers ( GURT ) I am guessing this was made from 1940-1956. Now I have to debate whether Gurty has a date with a hack saw or not .

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww71/GSGMAN/IverJohnsonChampion.jpg

Personally I'd have a hard time cutting up something that old if it's in good shape, but I like older guns.  I can't tell what kind of shape that's in from the picture, but it looks pretty good.

Now, a newer one? Yeah, bring on the hack saw. The 18.5" barrel I have on mine makes for an incredibly handy little gun.

Either way that's a neat find.

Link Posted: 12/10/2012 8:54:29 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Please don't cut it.
Get one of EAA's single barrel shotguns to cut up. They're cheap & ugly enough.

https://eaacorp.com/portfolio-item/baikal-mp18-single-barrel-shotgun-baikal/

Able Ammo has them for $122
I'll check WalMart tomorrow to see what price they have on Rossi and H&R shotguns.
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 9:58:29 PM EDT
[#37]
They are cheap and ugly too. They made millions of single shot shotguns. cut it
Link Posted: 12/10/2012 10:50:16 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Don't cut it. Tell you what-post it on the EE and I might be willing to send a gift card to walmart(if any in your area have guns) for the price of a new singleshot froim them, and you can send that one to me. Those long barrels make great bird guns.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

That there is a fine example of the "Granny Clampett Home Defense System".  

lol, I'm sure this guns original intention was a bird hunting shotgun, if I DON'T hit the barrel on something while moving it around its a rare day.

ETA: I know mine is old, but being as the barrel is slightly bent, I have no issues cutting it down.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I know what you mean.

At the last gun show, I went around looking for a beat up pump or single shot for a cheap price as a project gun. I found plenty of candidates but the best price on the cheapest one was only ~5% under the cost of a comparable new gun.

Link Posted: 12/11/2012 2:52:15 PM EDT
[#41]
I am still waiting to find a cheap donor gun to do this with.
Link Posted: 12/11/2012 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#42]
I know how hard it is to get a good deal on a used single shot. I guess I paid 10 times the original price for my Champion.

I am still on the fence about cutting her and I will post some better pics.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 9:56:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Scour pawn shops and yard sales.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 11:01:31 AM EDT
[#44]
H and R makes one with a screw in choke too

http://www.hr1871.com/Firearms/Shotguns/pardnerscrewin.asp

here are some pictures from the high road topic on single shots

ETA-

NodakSpud has rear ghost ring sights for the HR shotguns

http://www.nodakspud.com/

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 8:57:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Scour pawn shops and yard sales.

Most pawn shops are selling used ones for more than new ones.
Link Posted: 12/12/2012 9:02:14 PM EDT
[#46]

I want to hate that, I really do. But it's just cool. I want it!
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 9:29:56 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not sure how nobody has pointed this out yet, but Choate has a whole bunch of stock options for the H&R single shot shotguns;

http://www.riflestock.com/store/do/manufacturer/11

They have a forend with storage compartment that is held on by a thumbscrew which needs no tools to remove (holds a few rounds of 12 or 20ga or other supplies; or a weight if you want to reduce recoil), a slimline polymer forend (I suspect it would wear better than wood for a 'truck gun'), a buttstock with a large storage compartment in it; you swing the buttpad to one side to access the storage area, and they have buttstocks with built in shell holders.

They used to offer different colors but I don't see that on their site now.

I mentioned it two posts before yours.  My NEF came from the factory with the Choate Survivor stock and storage forearm.  I bought it back in '94-'95

Ah yes oops, I see it now.  I started typing at work and forgot about it until I got home with my laptop later..

Nobody posted pictures of their guns with the store-end forend or the buttstock yet.  I might have to drag mine out and take some pix.

Since it was only $15 I added one to my last order from Midway. I like it so far, but will have to see how I like it at the range..

Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:48:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

NodakSpud has rear ghost ring sights for the HR shotguns

http://www.nodakspud.com/

I've got to admit I really like that, although it would push the cost of my "cheap" truck gun well beyond what I wanted to spend

Just out of curiosity, would the front sight need to be raised using this?  ETA: on an 18.5 inch barrel.
Link Posted: 12/14/2012 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Since it was only $15 I added one to my last order from Midway. I like it so far, but will have to see how I like it at the range..

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc457/pukindog1/various/NEF-121312.jpg

Do I see an SKS sling being used there?
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:58:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1212.photobucket.com/albums/cc457/pukindog1/various/NEF-121312.jpg

Do I see an SKS sling being used there?

Yes. Yes you do !

Page / 18
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top