Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/11/2012 6:42:33 PM EDT
Anybody have a bbl cut down and not install a choke? How badly will 'accuracy' suffer? I'm thinking of coming down from 24" to 21" but not sure if I'll still need choke tubes. All this barrel will see is birdshot and turkey loads once or twice a year.
Link Posted: 4/11/2012 8:18:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Cutting off the barrel like that will leave you with a choke bore (ie, none). That will be too open for a lot of shooting (especially turkey), you can have your barrel threaded for chokes pretty cheap though Mike Orlen or Guncat.

What kind of game or target shooting would you be doing with it?
Link Posted: 4/12/2012 3:22:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'll mostly be using the shotgun for 3-gun but will see dove and quail season as well. I figured it'd be too open for turkey but thought i might be able to get away with it. There's a pretty good thread here on cutting down bbls. I think I might do the cut myself then send it out to Rose.
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 6:14:04 PM EDT
[#3]
If your 3-gun matches are anything like ours, you WILL need some choke on your shotgun.  I've seen guys show up with their cylinder bore riot guns not be able to take down steel targets without a couple really good hits or using really stout ammo.  I started out running a skeet choke and was deadly on aerial targets, but had to get perfect hits on steel for them to fall reliably.  Now I run a light modified choke for just about everything.

My 3-gun shotgun has a 24" barrel, which is about even with the end of the extension tube.  I have never felt like it was too long, but I do think it helps me get hits on the aerial targets.  I just picked up a pump gun for Heavy division, and specifically looked for a gun with a 24" barrel so it would handle like my current gun.  The extension tube will also go out to about the end of the barrel on that gun.

Good luck!
-Randy
Link Posted: 4/13/2012 7:33:03 PM EDT
[#4]
For what you're doing with the gun you will NEED chokes.
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:34:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Cutting off the barrel like that will leave you with a choke bore (ie, none). That will be too open for a lot of shooting (especially turkey), you can have your barrel threaded for chokes pretty cheap though Mike Orlen or Guncat.

How do I get a hold of these guys to have a 18" Super Nova barrel choked.

ROb
Link Posted: 4/17/2012 8:51:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How do I get a hold of these guys to have a 18" Super Nova barrel choked.

ROb

Guncat here, Mike Orlen is here. I have only used Mike, he is cheaper than guncat and is highly recommended. Of course guncat is a gold member of ARFCOM and is highly recommended too so I have to mention him.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 12:55:22 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Cutting off the barrel like that will leave you with a choke bore (ie, none).

I think you mean cylinder bore.
Link Posted: 4/18/2012 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Cutting off the barrel like that will leave you with a choke bore (ie, none).

I think you mean cylinder bore.

In my area choke bore=choked to bore diameter=no choke=cylinder bore but with a little googleing, that isn't universal elsewhere, so you are correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top