User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:25:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Quoted:
...but as long as you hold on to it tighter, it'll be fine.

Uh huh.    

Where are the barrel convergence tests?  You never mentioned which barrel was associated with each target.

Kibby, your shotgun looks great!  I am curious about 7M3's point, as 10 yards is not a very far distance and it seems like there's a *lot* of spread.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 9:03:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh huh.    

Where are the barrel convergence tests?  You never mentioned which barrel was associated with each target.

Kibby, your shotgun looks great!  I am curious about 7M3's point, as 10 yards is not a very far distance and it seems like there's a *lot* of spread.

I'm not going to keep explaining myself or validating reasons why this gun shoots okay. I like it, and it shoots well enough to provide decent SELF DEFENSE firepower. Its nothing more. 7M3 has been an antagonist this entire thread, but since you asked, I'll explain that the pics I showed were a cross-sampling of the shots I made with each barrel, and they all fell in the same general area with no weird POI. They all fell within a decent area size - good enough for hitting a man-sized target. All I need. All I want. FWIW, the Remington Express seemed to hit at a POI higher than my bead, while the Winchester mil-spec was spot on. Still not enough to worry about imho.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 11:51:15 AM EDT
[#3]
looks damn good!
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:07:25 PM EDT
[#4]
looks good I like it, Try a box of Hornady TAP 00Buck I think you will be surprised in how well it shoots.
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 12:20:30 PM EDT
[#5]
That came out really good.

I want to get a SXS.

Link Posted: 6/28/2012 8:45:23 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Uh huh.    

I'm not going to keep explaining myself or validating reasons why this gun shoots okay. I like it, and it shoots well enough to provide decent SELF DEFENSE firepower. Its nothing more. 7M3 has been an antagonist this entire thread, but since you asked, I'll explain that the pics I showed were a cross-sampling of the shots I made with each barrel, and they all fell in the same general area with no weird POI. They all fell within a decent area size - good enough for hitting a man-sized target. All I need. All I want. FWIW, the Remington Express seemed to hit at a POI higher than my bead, while the Winchester mil-spec was spot on. Still not enough to worry about imho.

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 3:30:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Gotcha, makes sense.  Thanks for explaining.  Sounds like you have a shotgun that more than adequately meets your wants and your needs - I don't think it can get any better than that.  Have you tried/ considered Winchester's reduced recoil 00 buck?  I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it out of a chopped CYL bore barrel on my 870 AOW.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:53:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks for the explanation.  Makes perfect sense.  

Sorry I didnt make it more clear to begin with, brother.

I also want to say that although I am no stranger to rebuilding guns, I really learned a lot from this project. Honestly, I'm glad you brought up the convergence/POI thing, because I'd never have given it a second thought. This being my first side-by-side rebuild, its an important consideration.

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 4:55:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Have you tried/ considered Winchester's reduced recoil 00 buck?  I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it out of a chopped CYL bore barrel on my 870 AOW.

Hey now I just might try those!  What would you equate the felt recoil to... a 20 gauge? 16ga?

Link Posted: 6/29/2012 9:44:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you tried/ considered Winchester's reduced recoil 00 buck?  I was pleasantly surprised when I shot it out of a chopped CYL bore barrel on my 870 AOW.

Hey now I just might try those!  What would you equate the felt recoil to... a 20 gauge? 16ga?

I thought the recoil was on par with a 12 gauge #7.5 birdshot.  It's still recoil, but feels pretty mild compared to some of the full power loads out there.  Winchester's reduced recoil slugs felt about the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2012 10:37:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I thought the recoil was on par with a 12 gauge #7.5 birdshot.  It's still recoil, but feels pretty mild compared to some of the full power loads out there.  Winchester's reduced recoil slugs felt about the same.

Good to know.  To me, anything less that 12ga 3.5" BBs is good to go!
Link Posted: 6/30/2012 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Very nice coach gun.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:37:46 AM EDT
[#13]

I'm late to the party but just wanted to say this was a very nice project and an excellent write-up. Thanks for posting details and step-by-steps.
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#14]
That is a great looking SxS!
Thanks you very much for the write up, well done all around.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 2:45:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 7/4/2012 6:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I was also shocked the first time I open up a 311/5100 series shotgun. I knew they were a "price point" gun, but the amount of nastiness inside was a surprise.

However, they work and parts are available from Numrich if needed.

Damn straight. I just had to replace the cocking plunger (the little rod that re-cocks the hammers and resets the safety) because the milled slot in it that holds a return spring and guide was milled cockeyed, causing the action to be a little too tight. It was also - I believe - to be the wrong part, being too long. This did not allow the breech to open wide enough to simply drop shells into the chambers or drop out the spent shells.

I just fitted the new one yesterday, and my oh my its a lot better now!
Link Posted: 8/10/2012 11:12:23 AM EDT
[#17]
just wanted to bump this..i came into a 311 for $100
Link Posted: 9/14/2012 8:31:49 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice write up; I have an old SxS that might need the same sort of "improvements" !!
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top