Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/11/2012 4:18:29 PM EDT
I just ordered synthetic stock and forend for my new to me 1100, I can not budge the stock bolt at all, does anyone have the tool needed to remove the bolt, I just listed my wood set for sale and I dont want to tear it up getting it off.

Would anyone loan me the tool? I would be happy to pay shipping both ways.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 4:36:43 PM EDT
[#1]
A screw driver with a big bit is all that is needed. Wrap a wad of masking tape around the shank of the screw driver  to help keep it centered in the hole in the stock. If you can find a screwdriver with a square shank you can use a wrench of the proper size to add leverage.
Link Posted: 3/11/2012 5:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
In other news........i just destroyed the o ring......
Link Posted: 3/12/2012 6:14:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
In other news........i just destroyed the o ring......

First off I'm no 1100 expert or gunsmith!!!
You are talking about the bolt in the stock? What O ring?
Just had mine apart. BFScrew driver.
Do not think I had to use vic-grip on the BFSD. Maybe!
I do know when I put it back togather,I put a little Elmer's Glue on the threads.
I never use luck tight This keeps the stock from loosening up!
But you can all ways get it apart, farely easily.
Sorry I'm not more helpful. Let us know how this goes for you!
Good luck!!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 12:53:11 AM EDT
[#4]
The o ring is on the magazine tube, its part of the gas system, I tore it in 2 when I pulled the barrel off, bought a new one from the hardware store, I cant budge the stock bolt, my handa are bruised and sore, im just going to take it by my gunsmith once the new stock shows up.

Really bygs me that  a guy cant get a simple bolt off just to remove a stock.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 1:14:23 AM EDT
[#5]
The hardware store had viton o-rings?
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 8:48:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Im sure they are not viton, if I have a problem I will order the viton rings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2012 9:47:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Im sure they are not viton, if I have a problem I will order the viton rings.

You will.  Get the correct ones from Brownells.  I also suggest a stainless steel ring too.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:21:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I got my O RING set from brownells too. They were cheap. I also got their extended/larger bolt handle.  Made huge difference in operating of the shotgun.

The stock is just removed with a big long screwdriver.  But make sure its BIG and fits the screw slot so you dont strip it off.  

If its never been off it might be tight.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 11:02:03 AM EDT
[#9]
I doubt the stock has ever been off, will check brownells for the.viton rings, the ones I got from the hardware store were only $.40 each so I aint ouy much if they dont work. My new stock set is supposed to be here tomorrow, my gunsmith is an hour away, I may go to the hardware stor and look for a BF screwdriver.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I just had the same issue. I tried a large screwdriver, a lug wrench, and it never budged. I never could get a good angle on the bolt. I bought the special tool from Brownell's and it came off with ease. I was amazed. I'll let you borrow the tool. Send me your address via im.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:03:53 PM EDT
[#11]
A wood spade bit can work if you grind it down a little so it is square and flat.

I just grabbed it with some Vice Grips and turned them with a large cresent wrench.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:41:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just had the same issue. I tried a large screwdriver, a lug wrench, and it never budged. I never could get a good angle on the bolt. I bought the special tool from Brownell's and it came off with ease. I was amazed. I'll let you borrow the tool. Send me your address via im.

I really appreciate that, there are some good peoples left in this world.

I sent you an im, thanks alot!
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:45:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A wood spade bit can work if you grind it down a little so it is square and flat.

I just grabbed it with some Vice Grips and turned them with a large cresent wrench.

Hey, thanks for the suggestion, I bought a 3/4" bit, didnt need to grind it down, got the vice grips, two loud screeches and the bolt came off.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:49:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I got my new stock from ups today, when I got the wood stock off I see a metal plate at the back of the reciever, my synthetic stock wont fit flush with this plate on, can I remove the plate or is it a part that MUST be on the gun, I was about to dremel the stock down to fit.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 1:55:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Put away the Dremel. The metal plate is only used with a wood stock, take it off when installing a synthetic stock.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Thanks Guncat, I held off on the dremel, glad I did, thanks man, I got the synthetic stock amd forend on, now I am working on shortening the barrel down to 21", gonna go shoot it this weekend first though.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Thanks Guncat, I held off on the dremel, glad I did, thanks man, I got the synthetic stock amd forend on, now I am working on shortening the barrel down to 21", gonna go shoot it this weekend first though.

Here is mine....
How many round tube are you going to add on?

PITA45

PS Don't foreget....If the stock loosens up, you can  put a little Elmer's Glue on the threads.
I never use luck tight This keeps the stock from loosening up!
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 12:52:06 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for sharing the pics, I dont know what I am using for a mag extension, im going to shoot it some first, did you do all the work yourself? What sights do you have on there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:04:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing the pics, I dont know what I am using for a mag extension, im going to shoot it some first, did you do all the work yourself? What sights do you have on there.

I put the over sized chargeing handle,the easy loader.
The extened tube (with wolf spring)Tac-Star shell caddy.
The Scattergun Technologies Ghost Ring my gun smith put on!
He said they just glue on.
It came with the Black furniture!
When your got it broke in and the way you want it, post some pictures!!!

PITA45

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 2:37:27 PM EDT
[#20]
I hacksawed my barrel down to just over 21", not a perfect cut but I left enough on the end to have it properly crowned later on, I sanded the end of the barrel smooth and cleaned up the ruff edges and cold blued it with birchwood casey. Im going to shoot it tomorrow and see how it patterns in self defense ranges, eventually I will buy a deer barrel for it.
Link Posted: 3/17/2012 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Just got back from the range, ran 50 rounds of birdshot , 5 slugs and 5 buckshot rounds, no jams and it pattern fine with the buck and the slugs went where I pointed them.

My hardware store o ring held up so far.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:24:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Bump up to the top...is there anything special I should know on how to remove the cap that covers the screw?

Thanks...
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:36:19 PM EDT
[#23]
That cap doesn't cover the screw, you need to take the recoil pad or butt plate off.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 5:37:16 PM EDT
[#24]
/\  

What he said...

Which screw?

There is not a screw under the pistol grip cap, its glued on.
Link Posted: 4/2/2012 6:10:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Oh.  Oops.    Just brought this home, we got this as an inherited piece from my wife's grandfather –– never owned a shotgun before (and only shot one for the first time –– a Benelli, not sure which model –– last week).

Thanks for the info!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top