Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/24/2012 4:32:28 PM EDT
Has anyone else here tinkered around with making wax slugs from standard upland game shot-shells?

I made three out of 2 3/4" Winchester Super Speed Xtra 7 1/2 shells today just playing around with the idea. Melted down a bit of candle wax and put the shot in it and filled the shot cup back up with em. Went out and fired one from my 870 with an 18.5" Cyl Bore barrel at a peice of siding from approx 40 yards and got a dead center hit right where I was aiming and the slug broke apart after hitting the sheet of house siding material and spread over the ground behind the target pretty well. I believe these could have pretty good potential for a low cost "slug" from my standpoint on em. They're certainly cheeper to practice with than regular 1oz. slugs and seem to create quite a bit of damage.

Wax and shot by bihb1, on Flickr

Wax slug by bihb1, on Flickr

test fire one round by bihb1, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 4:41:21 PM EDT
[#1]
That's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 5:27:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Here's the video from which I learned how to make the wax slugs.

How to make your own Wax Slugs for Shotguns
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:22:30 PM EDT
[#3]
You can cast your own real slugs pretty cheaply too...
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Here's the video from which I learned how to make the wax slugs.

How to make your own Wax Slugs for Shotguns

haha I was just watching this today
Link Posted: 1/24/2012 8:20:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You can cast your own real slugs pretty cheaply too...

That you can, this is just a sort of minimalistic way to make a slug which also just so happens to be frangible.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 3:50:05 AM EDT
[#6]
Does this leave any wax residue in the barrel?
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 8:42:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Make some with a 2 part epoxy instead of paraffin.  I killed a deer with one and cut down an old telephone pole with a small handful of them.  
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:51:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Does this leave any wax residue in the barrel?

Nope, I've shot a handful so far and nothing is left behind in the barrel but powder residue. The reason they dont leave wax in the barrel is because they're inside the shot cup all the way down the barrel then the shot cup seperates mid-flight before impact. The shot cup I recovered with my first test shot was about 30 yards down range 10 yards in front of the target.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 10:52:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make some with a 2 part epoxy instead of paraffin.  I killed a deer with one and cut down an old telephone pole with a small handful of them.  

The epoxy isn't too hard to safely exit the muzzle in one chunk? I figured the wax being soft it would form to the choke tube if need be to exit properly.

Link Posted: 1/25/2012 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The epoxy isn't too hard to safely exit the muzzle in one chunk? I figured the wax being soft it would form to the choke tube if need be to exit properly.

I would guess it is softer than lead and will be going a heck of a lot faster.
Link Posted: 1/25/2012 2:36:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true I suppose, on the softer than lead part.... depending on what brand of double compound epoxy you use.
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:49:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's true I suppose, on the softer than lead part.... depending on what brand of double compound epoxy you use.

Just pack it full of JB Weld
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHA now that's what I'm talking about. But hey, it could be a quick solution to your problems if you're wanting to buy a different barrel but can't come up with a legit enough reason to satisfy the wife
Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

HAHAHA now that's what I'm talking about. But hey, it could be a quick solution to your problems if you're wanting to buy a different barrel but can't come up with a legit enough reason to satisfy the wife

And if you always wanted to sport an eye patch and a fake hand afterwards....

Link Posted: 1/26/2012 4:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And if you always wanted to sport an eye patch and a fake hand afterwards....

Then you could play the role of Capt. Hook for halloween!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top