Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/12/2011 9:52:15 PM EDT
Anyone have one and noticed any problems shooting normal loads?

I'm really down for getting one.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got 1 and have test fired 2 others for guys in my office.  Some people have issues with low brass, but everything I've put in it goes out every time.  Alot of accessories for them- the collapsable stock has gone way outta control price wise again but it'll come back down.  They are n't cheap, but IMHO they are reliable.  The Marines use them for a reason.
Link Posted: 11/12/2011 10:45:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one and love it. I've shot about 400 rounds through it of varying loads/manufacturers and haven't had a single issue.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 2:33:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I've had mine since 2009.

My M4 can barely run 2.75 dram reliably. I usually run 3 dram and have no issues with it. In the at least several thousand I've shells put through mine I've only had one failure to feed and one stove pipe. Keep in mind this is with birdshot.

I'm usually lazy on maintenance and only clean mine every several hundred shells and it still keeps going. The M4 in my opinion along with the FN SLP are the two most reliable auto loading defensive shotguns on the market right now.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:28:42 AM EDT
[#4]
I've put around 250 rounds of 2 3/4 DRAM birdshot and 00 through mine. No issues. Easy to take down and clean. Great accuracy - I've even taken it out to break clays.

Go for it - you won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 3:33:27 AM EDT
[#5]
The M4 is very reliable, great gun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:01:30 AM EDT
[#6]
I only have one hundred or so rounds through mine, but its been flawless. Selling it though, want other toys. This is my fourth one. all have been awesome.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:04:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My M4 can barely run 2.75 dram reliably.

It took about 200 shells to break in my M4. After that, I have had no problems cycling even light target loads.

I reload my own shells for skeet. I load them very light to reduce recoil for high volume shooting.

My reloads are only 1oz @ 1150fps which is slightly less than  2.75 Dram Eq. My M4 cycles them perfectly.

Overall, my M4 has been extremely reliable and better at cycling various loads than my Beretta 391 target shotgun.
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 1:34:45 PM EDT
[#8]
13,000+ rounds through my M4 since 2004. Very few problems that I didn't induce myself. If you can shoot a 12 gauge faster than .15 seconds between shots, you might encounter a condition where you pull the trigger while the bolt is still cycling. As soon as the shell elevator drops, the disconnector is then disengaged. The hammer will fall and ride the bolt carrier into battery. You end up with a life round in the chamber and the hammer down. I have never heard anyone else complain about this issue, so I'm guessing it is rarely encountered.

I have video of myself shooting high brass shells, 7 rounds fired in under 1.5 seconds on target. On the final round, the disconnector is beat and this jam is induced. Manually cycling the bolt carrier is required to re-cock the hammerr and loadd another round.

The M4 will cycle from the hottest 3" mag rounds down to those anemic handicap loads you can buy at Walmart with the dark grey hulls.

As long as you don't hold the shotgun like a girl, it will cycle the low base rounds reliably. Half the jack offs you see on YouTube shooting M4's do not use their support arm in any significant way to maintain control of the weapon. You usually see the weapon hop out of their support hand on every shot break.

Out of the box new, you should disassemble and clean the weapon completely. Run it wet with a quality lubricant. Mine likes Machinegunners lube that LaRue sells. Run a 100 rounds of high brass loads through the weapon. After that, it should have no issue whatsoever in cycling cheap value pack garbage all day long. My M4 usually goes a 1000 rounds before I bother to clean it. It doesn't start jamming at a 1000, I usually just get bored or it looks terrible. All that matters is that it is wet with lubricant.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_haUjtatkk&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Link Posted: 11/13/2011 4:32:22 PM EDT
[#9]
No problems here.  I have had two (only own one now) and both were flawless off the bat with everything from slugs to buck to light birdshot loads.  Mine feeds everything short of "less than lethal" loads fine.

CMS
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 3:39:06 PM EDT
[#10]
None whatsoever.  Mines 2 yrs old and functions flawlessly.  I did put about 200 rounds of 3" slugs and OO  through it first as a break in.
Link Posted: 11/14/2011 11:30:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Lots of talk about "break-in".

I broke in my last two M4S90's using low-recoil skeet loads (1200fps or so 1-1/8oz) from Remington.

Worked fine.

They like TW25B in all the places an AR-15 does and they are G2G right out of the box in my experience, although my sample size is obviously not the end-all be-all.
Link Posted: 11/15/2011 5:27:45 AM EDT
[#12]
I have shot just about everything through mine and it is flawless. My friends and I use to buy a few of those 100 shell Walmart boxes and would just sit and blast with it between AR mags. You won't be disappointed.
Link Posted: 11/26/2011 1:55:35 PM EDT
[#13]
After 500 rounds or so, mine still malfuntions once and a while with light target loads.  With buckshot , no problems.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 4:02:53 PM EDT
[#14]
No problems with mine
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 7:09:53 PM EDT
[#15]
I love the Benelli M4 and it's on my wish of shotguns to own soon.
i've seen a couple of ad's that people are selling an M1014 and saying it's not an M4.
my question is what's the difference between the M1014 and M4?
sorry if this is a dumb question but i don't know and would like to know.

thanks,
thomas...
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:14:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Mine eats absolutely everything from the cheapest bargain brand loads to the nastiest slugs without fail!
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 2:52:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Most difficult firearm I've ever handled.  My belt-fed is easier to use then my M4.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 6:19:37 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i've seen a couple of ad's that people are selling an M1014 and saying it's not an M4.

thanks,
thomas...

The M1014 was a limited edition Benelli M4. It was the first public offering of this platform to the public. It has an American flag engraved in the receiver. Originally, the M1014 came with a collapsible stock that was disabled by Benelli by using a  recceiver extension that does not permit the stock from collapsing. The receiver extension can be replaced, but it is costly and beyond most users skill level. This model also has a fixed Improved modfied choke in the barrel. It came equipped with a 2 port gas system which is the standard desired model.

The 11703 was released with a fixed pistol grip stock and the same bastard receiver extension as the M1014. The barrel has removable chokes and it came with the dreaded 4 port 'low recoil' barrel. Benelli waranteed these barrels for users who requested it since the barrel was battering the crap out of the bolt carrier group and the rear of the receiver. It was also known to bust gas pistons.

The most commonly encountered M4 these days is the 11707. It has a two port barrel with removable chokes. The barrel profile has been modified and beefed up around the area where the barrel mates with the receiver. This model comes with the receiver extension that allows a colllapsible stock to function as designed.

The 11717 is a desert tan version of the 11707. All functions are the same.

There is a 11721 out there, that was made to take advantage of chumps. It is supposed to be a Law Enforcement onlly model, but some sellers have  released them to civilians. The only difference is the collapsible stock comes with the weaponn rather than the fixed pistol grip stock. It is essentially a relabeled 11707. Usually you can see the 11707 sticker still on the factory box.

There is a 11724 which I'm told is the 14" entry gun version of the M4.

Bottom line is, you want a current production 11707. There have been several minor upgrades and enhancements over the years. Such as the finish on the ARGO plugs has been changed in the past few years.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 11:34:00 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:

thanks,
thomas...

The M1014 was a limited edition Benelli M4. It was the first public offering of this platform to the public. It has an American flag engraved in the receiver. Originally, the M1014 came with a collapsible stock that was disabled by Benelli by using a  recceiver extension that does not permit the stock from collapsing. The receiver extension can be replaced, but it is costly and beyond most users skill level. This model also has a fixed Improved modfied choke in the barrel. It came equipped with a 2 port gas system which is the standard desired model.

The 11703 was released with a fixed pistol grip stock and the same bastard receiver extension as the M1014. The barrel has removable chokes and it came with the dreaded 4 port 'low recoil' barrel. Benelli waranteed these barrels for users who requested it since the barrel was battering the crap out of the bolt carrier group and the rear of the receiver. It was also known to bust gas pistons.

The most commonly encountered M4 these days is the 11707. It has a two port barrel with removable chokes. The barrel profile has been modified and beefed up around the area where the barrel mates with the receiver. This model comes with the receiver extension that allows a colllapsible stock to function as designed.

The 11717 is a desert tan version of the 11707. All functions are the same.

There is a 11721 out there, that was made to take advantage of chumps. It is supposed to be a Law Enforcement onlly model, but some sellers have  released them to civilians. The only difference is the collapsible stock comes with the weaponn rather than the fixed pistol grip stock. It is essentially a relabeled 11707. Usually you can see the 11707 sticker still on the factory box.

There is a 11724 which I'm told is the 14" entry gun version of the M4.

Bottom line is, you want a current production 11707. There have been several minor upgrades and enhancements over the years. Such as the finish on the ARGO plugs has been changed in the past few years.

StrangerDanger, thank you for the history lesson on the M4. i didn't mean to hihack this thread on the reliability issue, sorry.
I really love the collapsible stock version, is it possible for a civilian like me to own one?
or can i just get the 11707 and change out the stock? if i do this will i be out of compliant of 922(r)? which is a whole another can of worms.

thanks,
thomas...

P.S. i thought i saw a collapsible stock version at the gun show a couple of weeks ago, don't know the model number but the price was $2600. ouch!
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 12:09:05 PM EDT
[#20]
No problem. You can absolutely build a 922(r) compliant Benelli M4 that will legally have the full length magazine tube and collapsible stock on it. I will outline what parts you must purchase to make this happen. You're best option is to buy a 11707. It's the most common model and easily converted.

1. US Made Magazine Tube. carriercomp is the best. You end up  with a full length magazine tube that is 5 ounces lighter than stock steel tubes.
2. US Made Magazine Tube Follower. When purchasing a carriercomp Mag tube, a free US made follower is also given.
3. US Made Hammer. carriercomp/geiselle have produced a US made unit that will drop right in.
4. US Made Handguard. Freedom Fighter Tactical offers a factory reproduction unit that is US made. Surefire has their M80 rail assembly that will also count.
Link Posted: 12/11/2011 1:54:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
No problem. You can absolutely build a 922(r) compliant Benelli M4 that will legally have the full length magazine tube and collapsible stock on it. I will outline what parts you must purchase to make this happen. You're best option is to buy a 11707. It's the most common model and easily converted.

1. US Made Magazine Tube. carriercomp is the best. You end up  with a full length magazine tube that is 5 ounces lighter than stock steel tubes.
2. US Made Magazine Tube Follower. When purchasing a carriercomp Mag tube, a free US made follower is also given.
3. US Made Hammer. carriercomp/geiselle have produced a US made unit that will drop right in.
4. US Made Handguard. Freedom Fighter Tactical offers a factory reproduction unit that is US made. Surefire has their M80 rail assembly that will also count.

This is exactly what I did, solid, excellent advice!  I'm also running a FFT charging handle, the 1/2 is perfect the 3/4 imo is to big. I have two, and neither have any issues with everything I have thrown at them, one did want a little break in before it would work with weak rounds, but it even goes bang on everything thorown in it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2011 4:27:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I own a 11721.  How am I a chump?
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 11:51:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Whos got the best price nowadays on 11707s? I'm looking to buy a pair of them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/26/2011 2:53:18 PM EDT
[#24]
If you paid over 2000+ for a 11721, you got taken. Sorry.

The 11721 comes with a collapsible stock. That is worth 300 - 400 currently. A fair deal on a 11707 is about 1500 these days. So that would put you at about 1800 - 1900.

So if you like paying extra money for nothing, by all means. If you look at the picture of the 11721 box, you can see they simply slapped the 11721 sticker right over the top of the 11707. Just because you bought a 11721, doesn't mean it is 922(r) compliant either. So you're actually purchasing an illegal firearm for civilian ownership without a Law Enforcement Agency letterhead for YOUR department.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#25]
After 4.5 years I've never had an issue with mine, even with low brass.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 3:51:48 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Most difficult firearm I've ever handled.  My belt-fed is easier to use then my M4.

What is so hard to understand?  I've only had mine a short time and have no issues with it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top