Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/7/2011 10:07:26 AM EDT
I picked up a Mossberg 930SPX (#85360) at Vance's Outdoors in Columbus over the weekend.  I have been wanting one for a while and read all the old reviews especially the following:

m24shooter's SPX review

More up-to-date reviews were harder to come by and I thought I would chime in with some updates and insights.

On initial inspection one major upgrade jumps out as well as a minor one. My gun was boxed in May of 2011, these may have been in place for a while but I wasn't aware of it.  The front sight does not appear to be canted and all welds seem clean to my untrained eye.

The charging handle is much larger and is now knurled.  IMHO, this eliminates the need for most people to buy an after market handle and saves the customer $30 or so.

The minor upgrade is the swivel attachment. Not a huge deal, but it still saves a couple of dollars.

Out of the box the fore-stock seemed to move quite a bit and the trigger group had a very slight amount of play to it.  I broke it down and cleaned and lubed per the manual and various online sources.  After securing the mag extension snugly all the play was taken out of the fore-stock.  

When compared to the 930 in m24shooters review, it appears the shoulder pad has been changed as well.  It strikes me as very soft and something I may consider changing out once I get some time behind the trigger.

At this point the only other upgrade I am considering is a Nordic Components barrel clamp.  I considered switching the safety for a butterfly or Vang, but honestly the factory one isn't nearly as cheap as some people imply (the bathroom stall screw is annoying for those wishing to upgrade, but I guess it serves its purpose).  The Choate extension on mine seems to be free of defects but the plastic end cap is annoying when it becomes dislodged with very little effort.

As a side note I wanted to included something that I never read about until I Googled the specific issue.  With some rounds the SPX will on hold 6 in the magazine, not the advertised 7.  Federal 00 buck 2.75 will only load 6, the last round ends up slightly too long where as Federal Field and Game will load 7.  Once I Googled it I found a couple of references to shot shells being longer than the advertised length.  I've read that switching out with a spring from a 590 will solve the issue, but have not tried it yet.

Overall I am fairly please, the upgrades were something unexpected.  I hope to get to the range later today (indoor range, so no slugs) and will back with a range report.
Link Posted: 9/7/2011 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I recently purchased a 930 SPX as well.  It has all the upgrades that you have mentioned.  The only thing that I have added is the Nordic barrel clamp and a Mesa Tactical side saddle shell carrier.  So far I hve shot about 200 rounds through it with only one FTF. The FTF was when I tried to shoot a #8 target load from the hip. Other than that, it has digested everything from #9, #8, #71/2, and #4 birdshot, BB, BBB and T shot. And #4 #00 Buckshot and slugs.    I am very very satisfied with this gun and highly recommend it to anyone in the market.
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 1:08:26 PM EDT
[#2]
After the range trip I am extremely pleased. It patterned Federal 00 buck very well at 21 yrds.     I put a dozen of those plus 50 or so random bird/trap cheap loads through. No issues arose.

The front fiber optic is awesome and the recoil is fairly tame

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 1:10:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Man I want one .....
Link Posted: 9/9/2011 1:34:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Picture of mine with a couple of friends

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top