Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/26/2011 8:19:24 AM EDT
Hey guys.  I recently came into a J.C. Higgins Model 20 that has been in the family for some time.  At some point the barrel was cut back to 20 inches (already measured ) I am having a hard time finding aftermarket parts for it.  All I am looking for is a mag extension, a sling plate for the front, and ghost rings for it.  I love the worn look with the flat colored wood furniture.  The gun looks straight out of a zombie movie.  I am just looking to make it a little more practical.  

Thanks

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:33:18 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one as well - though I had the wood refinished and barrel reblued - it was getting bad

I got if for $50 - great shooter - the pump action is amazingly light.

I don't think you will be able to find any parts for it - they stopped making them 40 years ago.

This rifle is actually a High Standard model 200, rebranded by Sears.

BTW, shooting slugs out if it - probably a bad idea :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Pretty sure that was a renamed High Standard model - Model 10, perhaps?

Look at the model number.  It will be in the form of XXX.YY??.   The first 3 digits were the code for the supplier; "583" was High Standard.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:37:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have one as well - though I had the wood refinished and barrel reblued - it was getting bad

I got if for $50 - great shooter - the pump action is amazingly light.
I don't think you will be able to find any parts for it - they stopped making them 40 years ago.
This rifle is actually a High Standard model 200, rebranded by Sears.

BTW, shooting slugs out if it - probably a bad idea :)

I figured as much
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:39:25 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Look at the model number.  It will be in the form of XXX.YY??.   The first 3 digits were the code for the supplier; "583" was High Standard.

its High Standard model 200

stars on the barrel will indicate the type - 3 stars - improved cylinder, 2 stars - modified, 1 star - full choke

Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

its High Standard model 200
stars on the barrel will indicate the type - 3 stars - improved cylinder, 2 stars - modified, 1 star - full choke

Since the barrel has been chopped down, I dont think the stars apply any more.  Is there anyone that sells the parts I am looking for or parts that can be easily adapted to it?
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 8:52:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Anyone else that has a Sears,Ted Williams or other branded (re-branded?) rifle or shotgun here is a place to look.
The "blue book" wich most gun  shops keep around has a guide in the back where one can cross reference most of these guns.

The basic worth of any of these guns is as a shooter and of course sentimental value if they were gotten from a friend or family member

Basic place to look for parts is "gun parts" but look hard at the total cost to get the parts and clean the thing up,many times something can be bought
used that is a better value as a shooter
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 9:06:09 AM EDT
[#7]
you can buy my shotty for parts donor :)
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 10:47:10 AM EDT
[#8]
Try Numrich but I would be surprised if you find much.  A mag extension would be a real long shot, I'm not sure High Standard ever made them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2011 12:34:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Due to the design of the High Standard Model 200/Sears 20, no magazine extension or sling plate can be installed.
The only option on extensions would be to replace the entire magazine tube with a longer one, but I doubt any are available.

Since there is no screw-off magazine cap, you can't install a sling plate.

Here's an exploded view of the Model 200

http://www.stevespages.com/ipb-histandard-200.html

What you can do to install a sling swivel is to replace the magazine band screw with a longer screw with a sling swivel hole drilled in it.
Most any machine shop can easily make a screw to fit with a large head with a hole drilled to accept a detachable swivel.
Another option is to drill a hole in the front of the magazine cap and install a sling swivel stud.  Uncle Mike's sell the studs and a nut to retain it.

Most any brand of ghost ring sights can be fitted.
The receiver will need to be drilled and tapped.
For a front sight, you can have a sight base brazed on, or you can use one of the clamp-on sights from Brownell's.  These are strong sights that simply clamp on and don't ruin the finish like brazing does:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19505/Product/REMINGTON_SHOTGUN_TACTICAL_GHOST_RING_SIGHT_SET

For repair parts, look here:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8496

http://www.jackfirstgun.com/

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top