Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/11/2011 7:26:23 AM EDT
So I am having an extraction problem with my Remginton 870 and to be honest, I don't know shit about the 870 (all my other shotties are Mossbergs).

After insepctiong the gun, the extractor wobbles around inside the belt. Basic gun knowledge tells me that's a no go. Please see pics below, do I need to further disassemble the bolt? Does that "pin" behind the extractor need to be pushing on it?

ETA:  After watching a YouTube video, I now understand that the extractor plunger is stuck.  I used a screwdriver to gently push it back and removed the extractor, however the plunger is now stuck in the bolt.  Advice on how to get it out?

Link Posted: 6/11/2011 11:29:34 AM EDT
[#1]
First step is to put a drop or two of a good penetrating fluid into the extractor plunger hole.
I recommend Kroil, which will creep into the hole.  You can buy Kroil at many gun shops or machine supply shops, or online from Brownell's.

Stand the bolt upright and add the fluid, then allow to soak over night.

The plunger may pop up on it's own.  If not, put the bolt face on a hard table top and tap it to jar the plunger out.
This will almost always get the plunger out.  Then use a wire bent into a slight hook to pull the spring out.

Clean the tunnel thoroughly with solvent and pipe cleaners, or a small tube brush.
Just buy a new plunger and spring, and while you're at it you might buy a Wingmaster or Police milled extractor just on general principles to replace the MIM extractor you have.

New parts are sold by Brownell's and Midway.
Link Posted: 6/11/2011 1:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
That pin is spring loaded to keep tension on the extractor.  go to aiptactical and look at his video for changinging the extractor.  Remove your extractor and clean out that tube and then put it all back together.  You should be good to go after that unless the spring is bad, in which case, it would cost like $4 for a new spring.
Link Posted: 6/13/2011 4:07:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Thank you kindly to both of the responding posters.  I didn't have any Kroil, but ended up soaking it in CLP and it finally poppled.  I will be replacing everything.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top