Site Notices
9/18/2014 11:03:27 AM
Author
Posted: 10/27/2010 11:14:12 AM
[Last Edit: 10/27/2010 11:14:21 AM by BANDITOZ71]
Is there any aftermarket spring that is stiffer?
strat81
Misanthropic Realist
Instructor
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/27/2010 11:26:15 AM
I don't know if it's stiffer than a 930SPX spring, but the springs from Nordic Components are stiffer than OEM 870 and SX2 mag springs.
"I believe in Karma. That means I can do bad things to people all day long and I assume they deserve it." - Dogbert

Join the Nebraska Firearms Owners Association today! http://www.nebraskafirearms.org/
m24shooter
Don't tase me bro!
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/27/2010 1:15:53 PM
Just about any spring is going to be stiffer than an OEM mag tube spring on any Mossberg.
I use the Nordic and before that a Wolff.
Still a tool.
BIG_PAPA
Si vis pacem, para bellum
Link To This Post
Posted: 10/27/2010 1:17:01 PM
Originally Posted By BANDITOZ71:

Call mossberg. They have a replacement spring that is a little longer and stiffer. They provided it to me at no charge.
The danger is not Barack Obama but those who elected him. It will be easier to undo the follies of Obama than to restore good judgment to the masses. We can survive Obama, who is merely a fool. We are less likely to survive the fools who support him.
EightySecond
Boat Tailed & Hollow Pointed
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2010 5:04:31 PM

Originally Posted By BIG_PAPA:
Originally Posted By BANDITOZ71:

Call mossberg. They have a replacement spring that is a little longer and stiffer. They provided it to me at no charge.

You either got a CS guy that wasn't a total douche or know of some secret handshake.

I just sat on hold for 40 mins, someone picked up for a few secs and then hung up on me. Then I called back and sat on hold for 30 mins again only to wait for the guy to tell me that I needed to ship the whole gun to them so they could look at it.

I asked about the stiffer spring and he said there is only one. My issue is with the spring getting hung up in the extension tube when I have 7 rounds in the tube, as in I can screw off the extension and see the follower jammed in there and have to pluck it out somehow.

There are no apparent burrs or anything in the tube that I can see. I suggested that they send me a new spring and new extension tube and got a "sir, we don't troubleshoot over the phone". Shotgun is less than 3 weeks old - I am hoping this is just the break-in blues.

At this point there is no way I am shipping the whole thing to them (even if the labor is covered). Any suggestions on components to replace to solve the issue and make the gun more reliable? Thanks!
It is well that war is so terrible. We should grow too fond of it.
- Robert E. Lee -
m24shooter
Don't tase me bro!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/13/2010 9:26:41 PM
From least to most expensive fixes-
Chamfer the edges of your extension and mag tube, just slightly.
Components, I would go with an aftermarket follower and spring to start. For followers you could go with pretty much anything from the Wilson/SGT type to the Vang SS unit, whatever you prefer. For the spring I would go with a Wolff 40" spring, and trim it back.
If those don't clear it up, then the next step up for DIY would be a new extension. If the follower is hanging up in your extension that would leave me to believe that that is really where your problem would be.
Choate seems to be a large part of the recent problems with Mossberg QC.
Still a tool.
EightySecond
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2010 4:57:02 PM

Originally Posted By m24shooter:
From least to most expensive fixes-
Chamfer the edges of your extension and mag tube, just slightly.
Components, I would go with an aftermarket follower and spring to start. For followers you could go with pretty much anything from the Wilson/SGT type to the Vang SS unit, whatever you prefer. For the spring I would go with a Wolff 40" spring, and trim it back.
If those don't clear it up, then the next step up for DIY would be a new extension. If the follower is hanging up in your extension that would leave me to believe that that is really where your problem would be.
Choate seems to be a large part of the recent problems with Mossberg QC.

Ok thanks. What's the proper trim length on the Wolff 40" for the 930 in a 7+1 config with factory Choate tube? I guess I'll buy a few springs in case I need to swap the tube as well.
- Robert E. Lee -
m24shooter
Don't tase me bro!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/14/2010 8:56:45 PM
IIRC it is like 25-28" in length. I'll check and make sure.
Still a tool.
EightySecond
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2010 2:57:07 PM
Appreciate it.
- Robert E. Lee -
m24shooter
Don't tase me bro!
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/15/2010 10:04:19 PM
I use a follower with a tail, and with a 24" spring I can almost get 7 rounds in the mag tube. With a cup follower I can get the full 7.
I'm using a Nordic extension and extended mag tube cap.
Still a tool.
EightySecond
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 12/16/2010 8:13:11 PM
Thanks, m24, I'm anxious to see if those fixes get it running 100%. I love it, I just want it to work.
- Robert E. Lee -