Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2009 5:02:58 AM EDT
In response to this issue being raised in another thread, I have created a step by step pictorial guide on how to disassemble an 870 forend tube to remove the forend nut.  This has only been tested on my 12 gauge 870s, but theoretically this should work for all 870s.  This method may be used in lieu of a traditional forend tube nut removal wrench.  

Parts required:
Your forend tube assembly (In your owner's manual, these are parts #27, #28, & #29)
Slide assembly (in the owner's manual, part #57)

Step one: Remove forend & slide assembly

Step two: Grab the slide assembly by the large end

Step three: stick the small end of the slide assembly into the forent tube nut

Step four: tighten/disassemble

Link Posted: 9/12/2009 6:31:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Tack it.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 12:35:02 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes, there is only one 870 so it will work on every 12ga 870 no matter what model.  Tack this as it is a perfect step by step guide, perfect instructions and great pictures.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 1:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks JD.  I figured, it works, why not show everyone?
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 3:32:16 PM EDT
[#4]
For us that don't know a hell of alot about shotguns....how is this done?

I know how to remove the barrel ofcourse, but what are the steps to remove the forearm assembly?

Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 4:17:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey great tip!
I've removed an 870 forearm several times but I seem to remember using a dull wood chisel as a fat head screw driver to remove that nut.
Who knew the tool was right there in front of me?
Cool.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 7:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know how to remove the barrel ofcourse, but what are the steps to remove the forearm assembly?

Thank you.

To remove the forend assembly:
1) Remove the magazine cap, part #39
2) Pull forend halfway back to the receiver
3) Pull barrel off the receiver/mag tube assembly
4) Push the carrier upward.
5) Reach into the bottom of the receiver. Depress and hold the left shell latch (if this is insufficient, depress the right as well).
6) Slide the fore-end forward and off of the magazine tube. NOTE: The top right edge of the slide may bind on the bottom front edge of the ejection port in the receiver. To free the slide, push the front end of the bolt down.
7) Lift the breech bolt assembly and slide assembly from the rear of the action bars
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 8:37:30 PM EDT
[#7]
A 50 cent piece works, too.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2009 9:05:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.

To remove the forend assembly:
1) Remove the magazine cap, part #39
2) Pull forend halfway back to the receiver
3) Pull barrel off the receiver/mag tube assembly
4) Push the carrier upward.
5) Reach into the bottom of the receiver. Depress and hold the left shell latch (if this is insufficient, depress the right as well).
6) Slide the fore-end forward and off of the magazine tube. NOTE: The top right edge of the slide may bind on the bottom front edge of the ejection port in the receiver. To free the slide, push the front end of the bolt down.
7) Lift the breech bolt assembly and slide assembly from the rear of the action bars

That was actually very easy...thank you!
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 6:49:34 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm not letting this thread disappear into the archives.  This is too easy to save the average user from needing to buy a forend nut tool.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Awesome...thank you.
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 9:37:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Awesome...thank you.

Glad I could help
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 9:52:08 AM EDT
[#12]
Why isnt this tacked yet?
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 1:01:14 PM EDT
[#13]
I read somewhere to use a wood bit ( spade type ), and thought that was pretty ingenious... This is even BETTER.

Sam
Link Posted: 9/27/2009 1:48:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Large flat tip screwdriver will work in a pinch.

This is much much better.

Link Posted: 9/27/2009 2:42:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Sometimes the simplest answer is the best answer
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 2:48:01 AM EDT
[#16]
This is freaking amazing.  Great info.  This definitely should be a tacked thread!  Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/28/2009 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#17]
I second the motion for a tack.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 12:24:20 AM EDT
[#18]
well son of a bitch,

thanks,

who would have thunk it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 3:01:04 AM EDT
[#19]
I used the claw of a hammer for the nut on my 500A but that works too!
Link Posted: 10/1/2009 5:24:10 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 1:42:50 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm not letting this thread disappear into the archives
Link Posted: 11/11/2009 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Still trying to figure out why this isn't tacked yet

Link Posted: 11/11/2009 6:01:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 8:16:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Yes, there is only one 870 so it will work on every 12ga 870 no matter what model.  Tack this as it is a perfect step by step guide, perfect instructions and great pictures.

Don't bet on it. In theory yes it should but in reality, some of those nuts are torqued on way too tight at the factory for this method to work every time. I know because mine was. Mine was so tight that even after buying a using a pretty beefy tool made specifically for the job the nut on my did not want to come off. It took so much effort that I ended up splitting the forearm (wood).

Don't get me wrong, this is still a very good idea and if you don't have the dedicated tool, by all means try this method before trying anything else. I'm just saying don't be shocked if you come across one that is too tough to remove this way.
Link Posted: 11/12/2009 11:41:10 AM EDT
[#25]
I would also like to state that, when you put your new forend on that you make sure that you center the forend in the slide assembly as you tighten the nut. If you don't then your forend, depending on how much of it overlaps with your receiver may scratch your receiver. A small shim of metal such as a dime or penny will due.
Link Posted: 11/17/2009 6:44:55 PM EDT
[#26]
tagged becuse you smart me dumb
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 2:55:01 AM EDT
[#27]
This did not work for me.  It did not engage the slots enough for me to loosen it up.  I had to resort to the needle nose pliers spread out.
Link Posted: 11/19/2009 4:35:30 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't bet on it. In theory yes it should but in reality, some of those nuts are torqued on way too tight at the factory for this method to work every time. I know because mine was. Mine was so tight that even after buying a using a pretty beefy tool made specifically for the job the nut on my did not want to come off. It took so much effort that I ended up splitting the forearm (wood).

Don't get me wrong, this is still a very good idea and if you don't have the dedicated tool, by all means try this method before trying anything else. I'm just saying don't be shocked if you come across one that is too tough to remove this way.

I've had this happen too using a Remington tool.  It almost seemed that they had used thread locker on it.  I sent the busted forearm to Remington with a pretty nasty letter and they sent me a new forearm.  Usually I start by giving the tool a pretty sturdy "tap" with a mallet to break loose any dried lube or corrosion and don't advise this using the above method.

Rob

Link Posted: 11/26/2009 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#29]
Sometimes the forend nut can be very tight from the factory. Tight enough that even with a proper forend wrench they are a bitch to get off. Wonder what would happen if you bent the bolt carrier using it as a wrench on a tight nut?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top