Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/5/2012 11:07:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Can anyone tell me the inside diameter of the 870 mag tube? I can get a tool made to expand the dimples.

Link Posted: 7/6/2012 12:21:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Tim_the_enchanter:
Can anyone tell me the inside diameter of the 870 mag tube? I can get a tool made to expand the dimples.  

Or you could find an XS Sights mag tube swage.  I have one and used it to take out many of dimples.  It is a very solid tool.  Cost about 25 bucks.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 5:44:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got one hell of a deal on a 870 because of someone didn't know what they were doing when trying to remove the dimples.  Some how they I guess in the process of trying to forcing the dimples flat, they swelled the tube to the point where the barrel would not go back on.  If that's not bad enough they tried to force it back on by hammering the end of the barrel causing it to be unshootable.  I bought it off a guy who said he got it in a trade and didn't know what to do with it.  Took me about 4 hours to get it in shooting condition.  Shoots like a dream now.  Plus it came with two barrels all for 100 bucks.  Deal of the year, lol.
Link Posted: 1/18/2013 12:41:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I drilled through the dimples then smoothed it out with a dremel. It worked fine for a year, then all of a sudden I can't load more than five birdshot or six buckshot. The parts I dremeled out feel like there's almost a shallow groove in them. I'm really paranoid that if I dremel this any more that ill be making it worse. I'm sorry, but how do you guys manage to dremel out such a small area perfectly smoothly with a dremel? I feel like a caveman. I'm using the smallest sandpaper bit... Should I go in a circular fashion all the way around the magazine tube to even it out? Pretend I'm an idiot because I feel like there's some obvious way to make the tube smoother without breaking it more. Because I can break it more, right? I don't have the money to bring it to get it repaired an I definitely don't have the money to ship it to remington
Link Posted: 1/27/2013 4:08:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Why do you have to drill out the dimples and them dremel them smooth? Can you not just dremel them down in the first place?
Link Posted: 1/28/2013 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#6]
I felt like I was dremeling a groove into the area around the dimples, so I chose to drill at that point. Dremeling is an art that I am not good at
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 7:47:45 PM EDT
[#7]
I am going to be installing a Wilson combat +2 on my 870 this weekend and will be removing the dimples.  I thought about the socket method but decided against it since I lack the finesse needed and would likely bulge the tube.  I would love to try the swage method but don't  want to go out and buy one for this single job. i have have been searching eBay for a used one... I should know better.  

I guess I'll be drilling them out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2013 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#8]

I drilled mine today.  

Started with a smaller drill bit and then hit it with a 3/16" bit.  I sanded the inside of the tube with a dremel and sanding disk.  It's baby smooth.  

I'm gonna protect the inside of the tube and holes with cold blue.  I’ve gotta go to the gun shop and get a small bottle of cold blue tomorrow.  

The follower slides in and out smooth.  I ran a few rounds by hand and it appears it's gonna work great.  

Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:19:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Bowers:
I am going to be installing a Wilson combat +2 on my 870 this weekend and will be removing the dimples.  I thought about the socket method but decided against it since I lack the finesse needed and would likely bulge the tube.  I would love to try the swage method but don't  want to go out and buy one for this single job. i have have been searching eBay for a used one... I should know better.  

I guess I'll be drilling them out.

Just finished drilling.   Easy process.  A little cleanup with the dremel and it works perfectly.  I am a little upset that I got some shavings where I didn't want them to go but a good cleaning will do the trick.  I'll probably cold blue or paint the bare metal when I get a chance.  

Very pleased with the outcome.
Link Posted: 2/1/2013 9:44:08 PM EDT
[#10]

I stripped the 870 down to the receiver and magazine tube before drilling.  

I crammed a Bounty towel down the magazine to the receiver and used another Bounty towel at the open end of the magazine to prevent the drill bit from going all the way to the other side of the tube.  After drilling, I pushed the Bounty towel at the open end out and sanded with the Dremel.  After sanding I pushed the second Bounty towel out the open end.  That kept the debris from getting into the receiver.  

Link Posted: 5/5/2013 1:42:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the pics and info wetterman. I'm gonna use your fix.
Link Posted: 5/12/2013 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Big_Bear:
I used a Craftsman socket, sorry, don't remember the size, but it fits perfectly inside the mag tube. Hammered it down the tube and backed it out with a ratchet, and it pretty much flattens the dimple. Then clean up the inside of the tube with a dremel tool and no dimple, and no hole drilled in your mag tube.

Did the same thing except I used a piece of steel I machined to fit and no holes. I would not drill them out there is no need to put holes in the tube.
Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just finished this today. Somewhere I read an 11/16" Craftsman socket would work to push the dimples out, but mine was the wrong diameter. What did work great for me was a 1/2" drive 7/16" impact socket. Since it is 7/16", it tapers down at the end, so just insert, tap a bit, then back it out with the ratchet. Repeat a few times (ok, maybe more than a few) and the dimples are pushed out. When the socket is mostly in, just tap the dimples smooth and voila - no more dimples and no holes.

Link Posted: 9/28/2013 5:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By swankforce:
Just picked up one of the 2-shot magazine extension tubes for my 1yr. old Remington 870. Only problem is the [new] follower will not push into the Remington mag tube, nor does it look like it will be able to function correctly as there are a pair of detents pushed into the mag tube at 0 and 180. Anyone else have this problem? Any quick fixes, or will the current mag tube have to be reworked/machined for me to be able to carry 2 more shells?
View Quote

I used a dremel on mine. Works great.
Link Posted: 9/29/2013 3:15:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By oregunner:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Just picked up one of the 2-shot magazine extension tubes for my 1yr. old Remington 870. Only problem is the [new] follower will not push into the Remington mag tube, nor does it look like it will be able to function correctly as there are a pair of detents pushed into the mag tube at 0 and 180. Anyone else have this problem? Any quick fixes, or will the current mag tube have to be reworked/machined for me to be able to carry 2 more shells?

Can you describe more in detail? I'm interested in using a dremel on mine too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2014 10:23:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Drilling and finished out with dremel worked great.  Just checked out my progress by running a shell across the holes to see if there was any friction.  I will add that the tacstar +2 leaves some exposed threads inside and the spring likes to hang up when loading but causes no problems feeding.
Link Posted: 6/19/2014 10:55:11 PM EDT
[#17]
I drilled out the dimples and then hit it with my dremel like device.

Here's a video drilling it out.  Its a kick ass gun.  

[youtube]http://youtu.be/6DRbwzZyEEA[/youtube]

http://youtu.be/6DRbwzZyEEA

Snapshot 1 (19-06-2014 7-27 PM) by Don'tkillbill, on Flickr" />

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:38:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: highspeedforlife] [#18]
Does anyone have the swage tool or Brownell's tool they would loan me? When I ship it back I will cover what you paid for shipping.

If not I may buy the Brownell's tool and make it a travelling tool.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 1:54:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Just did mine. Drilled out the tabs. Sanded with a dremel. Just keep sanding and trying to get the follower to clear. Clean everything. De grease cold blue and ez peezy.

Im a tool moron. If I can do it anyone can. I read that the socket method  ould bulge the tube or break the brazing on the mag tube receiver area. So be careful.

I took her outside function checked then blasted a dozen thru her. Identical to my Police model except for the stiff action on the Express. Im going to work her smooth like the whore she is...
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By highspeedforlife:
Does anyone have the swage tool or Brownell's tool they would loan me? When I ship it back I will cover what you paid for shipping.

View Quote

I'll loan you mine after I use it if you're not in too much of a rush. I just purchased the XS mag tube swage and haven't used it yet, but will be using it this week. Shoot me an email [email protected] to remind me and give me your info so after I'm done with it I can send it out.

I was planning on loaning this tool to anyone who needs it after I'm through with it. It should last quite a while so I figure might as well save some people money. Anyone interested in using it use my email above and I'll try to get this worked out.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 5:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]

View All Quotes

I dremel'd mine too. Patience and cleaning it during the dremel is the key.It will not leave holes if done correctly.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 9:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]
I would be interested as well to use it and pay shipping both ways
Link Posted: 12/30/2014 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#23]
just an FYI, I now have the XS swage and used it to remove the dimples on my 870. It ended up bulging my mag tube even with very gentle hammering and lots of oil. I don't really recommend it because of this. My 870 is now in working condition, but it took me a while to fix it after it bulged. I now recommend the drilling method, and wish I would have done it instead.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 12:21:43 PM EDT
[#24]
I used the Dremel method on my H&R Pardner Protector truck gun(Norinco 870 copy).  I went slow with a grinding drum and switched sides often for heat management.  Took about 25 min.  After test fitting the factory follower until it slid freely without resistance I used 320g sandpaper to clean up the areas and finished it out with a steel wool hand polish(0000 steel wool wrapped around the factory mag limiter).  There are no holes in the exterior of the tube and it's not bulged.  If you have basic metalworking skill this seems like the best way to remove the dimples.
Link Posted: 3/6/2016 10:59:40 PM EDT
[#25]
I did the drill and dremel with a sanding drum method with my 870 years ago and it works just fine,recently I tried the socket method like Wetterman described on a friends 870 and it also worked perfect,he didnt want holes in the tube

Link Posted: 3/10/2016 2:01:39 PM EDT
[#26]

View Quote

anyone doing this? I'd be willing to reimburse for shipping + loaner's fee.
Link Posted: 4/9/2016 4:33:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By YukonBoy03:

Me too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:05:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 2:06:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Hey guys, I think I am going to get a pass around going for the xs dent removal tool. Anyone interested email me at [email protected].

My only request is that you read this: I used this tool on my 870. It worked and my gun works fine after some tuning. After using the tool, you may have to lightly tap the outside of the mag tube to get the tool out of the tube. You may also need to lightly sand the dimples inside the tube to minimize binding (personal preference on this one). I will not be held responsible for any damage you do to your gun.

I was not aware I may have to use a punch to get the tool out when I used it, which is where I got frustrated with the tool. A couple light taps with a punch and the tool drops out and the gun works perfectly. Use BRASS punches.

Now that that's done, email me if interested
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:10:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#31]
Originally Posted By thatguybryan:
Hey guys, I think I am going to get a pass around going for the xs dent removal tool. Anyone interested email me at [email protected].

My only request is that you read this: I used this tool on my 870. It worked and my gun works fine after some tuning. After using the tool, you may have to lightly tap the outside of the mag tube to get the tool out of the tube. You may also need to lightly sand the dimples inside the tube to minimize binding (personal preference on this one). I will not be held responsible for any damage you do to your gun.

I was not aware I may have to use a punch to get the tool out when I used it, which is where I got frustrated with the tool. A couple light taps with a punch and the tool drops out and the gun works perfectly. Use BRASS punches.

View Quote

you can probably make your own for pretty cheap. measure the mag tube, and locate a local tool and die shop... then buy a 2' piece of the hardened steel bar stock they use that's the size you need.... . then grind a bevel to it and polish it, so it can slide over the dimples easily, and smoothly press them out ..... grind flats on it, to attach a wrench.... or thread it for a bolt, vise grips would make a useful handle to pulling it back out while you twist it.

. if your really handy, use a long bolt, and a piece of barstock, drill a hole down the center of a 6" chunk of bar stock, and make a slide hammer out of it, to easily get it back out.  probably build one like this for $20.00.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:50:36 PM EDT
[#32]
I mashed it pretty flat with long nosed vice grips and a pad on the outside,  I knocked the thing even with a drum on a dremel.  No hole, looks like it never happened.  I did it before it was a thing, probably 20 years ago.  

You can also cut the barrel with a pipe cutter.  Grease the outside so the rollers don't leave a mark.  Clean up the burr with a brake cylinder grinder.  Polish the chamber and cone at the same time.  

It's magical.
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

you can probably make your own for pretty cheap. measure the mag tube, and locate a local tool and die shop... then buy a 2' piece of the hardened steel bar stock they use that's the size you need.... . then grind a bevel to it and polish it, so it can slide over the dimples easily, and smoothly press them out ..... grind flats on it, to attach a wrench.... or thread it for a bolt, vise grips would make a useful handle to pulling it back out while you twist it.

. if your really handy, use a long bolt, and a piece of barstock, drill a hole down the center of a 6" chunk of bar stock, and make a slide hammer out of it, to easily get it back out.  probably build one like this for $20.00.  
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By buck19delta:

I actually already have the tool though

If no one is interested, I'll just sell this bad boy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2016 9:41:41 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Pm sent
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 12:16:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: bhappycattle] [#35]
Wow, I read this entire thread and there is a ton of great information. I went with the direct dremel method. I sanded off the dimples on the inside of the tube, then ran some 240 grit emery cloth over the areas where the dimples were. Perfectly smooth and you cannot tell from the outside I even touched them.  Cleaned the tube with air and Hoppes and installed my +3 onto my 870 Express Magnum with 20" IC barrel. Took about 35 minutes total including final lube and clean up.

Update: Ever since I installed my plus 3 extension, I was getting intermittent stoppages after loading the 4th or 5th round and then when unloading, the follower was getting hung up in the junction where the tube and extension meet. I would have to give the gun a good rap to unload dislodge the follower to get the remain rounds out. After taking everything apart multiple times and making sure there were no burs or anything, I finally bought a new follower. I decided in the Nordic Components Teflon coated red aliminum follower and it completely solved my issues. I can easily load 7 rounds and have loaded and ejected at least 300 rounds without a stoppage.

Snake Killer by A B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:01:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I drilled out the dimples and then used a dremel sanding bit in a 3/8 drill to smooth out the inside.

Sprayed it out with solvent and blew it out with air. All was fine until I tried to reinstall the slide and the bolt.

Since I removed them for the dimple removing process. After about an hour of watching YouTube videos on reassembly

and massive cussing, I finally got the slide and bolt to go in. It was a bitch, but all works fine now.  
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:33:45 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

PM sent
Link Posted: 7/8/2017 7:58:46 AM EDT
[#38]
Removing the dimples with a swage is not difficult. I use the XS Sight Systems swage tool.
Start by Sliding the fore-end to the rear, Remove the mag cap, barrel, mag cap retainer, spring and follower.
Now you are ready to remove the dimples.

First I take a 1 inch steel scope ring and clamp it around the magazine tube directly over the dimples to keep the magazine tube from stretching. Grease the inside of the tube and OD of the swage with wheel bearing grease.
Grasp the magazine tube with your hand just under the scope ring, place the swage in the mouth of the tube, and lightly tap the swage into the magazine tube up to the shoulder with a soft face hammer. About a half a dozen taps should do it. Remove the scope ring, take a .375 brass punch and a small hammer lightly peen where the dimples used to be to set them in place. The swage should slide out easily with a little tug. Place your finger in the tube a feel to make sure the dimples are gone, if not place the swage back in and peen them a little more. This may take a couple of tries get the dimples pressed flat.
Once they are gone clean the grease out and check the tube with a magazine follower to make sure it slide smoothly through. Use some copper remover to clean the brass punch marks from the OD of the tube. Replace the barrel, follower, spring and extension.
It took me about 10 minutes from start to finish.

Link Posted: 9/3/2018 9:12:22 PM EDT
[#39]
I helped a friend use a dremel on his.............grind them down then polish the tube. Works real good
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#40]
Does anyone make a 2 shot marine coat stainless for the Tac14 marine?

And a Blued 2 shot? Not matte
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#41]
I made a tool for this with some scrap
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:22:45 PM EDT
[#42]
I bought a tool from Defender Tactical to take out the dimples on an 1100 tube.  The dimples are on the threads.  This tool costs 30 something bucks and really did a super job and did not damage the threads.  

I'm not affiliated with these people in any way.  I didn't even know they existed until I did some research into removing dimples.

Defender Tactical 12 Gauge Magazine Dent Remover Tool Demo
Link Posted: 3/19/2023 12:25:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top