Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 12/28/2016 9:09:05 PM EDT
Alright this is a brand new FNX .45, that has never had a shot fired through it, I bought it back in the summer.  What happens is this:  With the slide locked back, and an empty magazine inserted, if I let the slide go forward into battery the slide release tab will jump over the tab on the magazine follower and prevent the magazine from dropping out when the mag release is pressed.  Is this common?  I just ordered a couple of extra magazines to see if its just my mags, or if it does it with all of them.
Link Posted: 12/29/2016 8:30:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Alright this is a brand new FNX .45, that has never had a shot fired through it, I bought it back in the summer.  What happens is this:  With the slide locked back, and an empty magazine inserted, if I let the slide go forward into battery the slide release tab will jump over the tab on the magazine follower and prevent the magazine from dropping out when the mag release is pressed.  Is this common?  I just ordered a couple of extra magazines to see if its just my mags, or if it does it with all of them.
View Quote

First I've heard of it
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 1:54:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Not sure how this is possible.  On my FNX45T, my slide release tab has a 90deg extension that sits over the magazine follower by about 1/8th inch.  If this tab is short, you might get that malfunction but that would be on FNH to fix or just buy a new slide release.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 11:04:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes mine is the same way, what I think happens on the empty magazine, is that as the slide goes forward it forces the magazine follower down and to the right just enough for the slide catch to slip past it.  Once it does that of course it is hooked under the follower and will not let the magazine drop free until I remove the slide and force the follower over enough for the catch to pop back up.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 8:11:25 PM EDT
[#4]
I have one magazine that does exactly what you're describing. CIB pretty much nailed it, it's a follower issue.
Link Posted: 1/4/2017 2:42:22 AM EDT
[#5]
This happens with my M&P Core. It's a follower issue on that from what I read, and is more prone when the mag release is switched for lefties.
Link Posted: 1/5/2017 3:32:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a quick update, I received my new FNX mags from PSA's sale on them.  Out of the 5 that I now have, only one of them will allow the slide catch to slip under the shelf on the magazine.  So from that I deduce that probably one of the follower molds is a touch out of whack, and causes this malfunction with some of the magazines.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top