Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 9/29/2016 11:05:20 PM EDT
I've been looking for another full size .45 (have a MC Operator 1911) for suppressor use for awhile and finally decided on a fde FNX-45 tactical and pulled the trigger this afternoon! My Obsidian is almost 5 months into a form 4 & I have 1/2-28 and .578-28 pistons for it. I looked into pretty much all the (10) rd capacity or higher .45's I could find before making my choice:

HK45: Tactical version has metric threads and I'd rather have a .578-28 barrel than a dedicated piston which means I'm looking at $240 for an aftermarket barrel plus the pistol. I could sell the OEM barrel and recoupe ~$150, but that's an extra step I'd rather not deal with - I could buy the regular version and then buy an aftermarket barrel. Also, only 10 rd magazines, no stock suppressor sights and the only aftermarket option is Heine straight 8's, which I don't like. The grip ergonomics and controls are a plus though.

USP45: Same as above except for the grip is too long (FWD-back) for my taste. I wear large gloves so my hands must be average size, but the grip is just not proportioned well for my hands.

Glock21: Egh, never been a Glock fan. More rounds than a HK, but no stock suppressor sights and I couldn't find the versions with factory threaded barrels but they're out in the wild somewhere.

Sig P320/P227: I have a P226 that's run like a top and wouldn't object to a .45 version. But, they don't come with suppressor sights and the capacity with "std" /i.e. non-extended magazines is less than the FNX yet they cost about the same.

Springfield XDM: Less capacity, no suppressor sights. Not a huge customer base.

Eventually I came to the realization that the FNX-45 tactical is basically the most complete/well rounded "tactical"/suppressor ready pistol offering. The only real drawback is the lack of aftermarket support and parts; Glock and HK have mature aftermarket support of upgrade parts and gunsmith support that the FNX just doesn't have. Smiths offering trigger work on FNX's are becoming more prevalent though and Falcon does offer their grips.

I'll be on a business trip the first half of next week; hopefully my dealer has something waiting for me when I get back in town.
Link Posted: 9/29/2016 11:42:54 PM EDT
[#1]
The FNX Tactical .45 is a great all-around pistol. Raised night sights, threaded barrel, slim (slimmer) grips, RMR cut, etc. It's a lot of gun for the price.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#2]

Hopefully yours won't be like this one.

Link Posted: 9/30/2016 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#3]
FN is dead to me. I bought a FNP-T when they first came out. Awesome gun. I waited a long time and got the first one my dealer could get his hands on. $1100 and they fucked me. They never made mags in any quantity and then they orphaned it for the FNX.

Fuck 'em. Get an HK tactical.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 11:50:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck with the FNX.

My FNP was the biggest POS gun I ever purchased only followed up with FN's total lack of "customer service".
(There was a reason FN quickly discontinued the FNP)
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:23:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdTsFB1ejo8

View Quote

Lol. No body else has experienced this. Its not an epidemic. They sent him a brand new gun to replace that one. I swear, people see one thing about a product online and they regurgitate it until they die
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 12:28:08 PM EDT
[#6]
OP haters peruse this section like haters peruse through the glock section. I've had my FNX for maybe 6 months and have put probably close to 1,000 rounds through it. And its been suppressed most of its life. And I've yet to have a single hiccup. And I have cleaned it twice. Its filthy and nasty. People can't afford it so they hate on it.
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:02:41 PM EDT
[#7]
FNX45 is an awesome gun.

A few people have that video in their favorites, just salivating at the thought of posting it.
They are intellectually dishonest because they know it was just one gun, and FN took care of it.

Link Posted: 10/1/2016 6:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FNX45 is an awesome gun.

A few people have that video in their favorites, just salivating at the thought of posting it.
They are intellectually dishonest because they know it was just one gun, and FN took care of it.

View Quote

This is correct. My glock magwells aren't much stiffer than the fnx in that video.

The FNX45 is a fantastic gun. Buy it and run it hard.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 5:07:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Love my FNX tactical. No issues. Just need to get a can for it.
Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:15:40 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the opinions on both sides of the fence. I researched this a lot before making a decision and had convinced myself that a HK USP was a great choice. Then I held one and the grip is just the worst (for my hands at least). The issues with HK customer service and parts availability are well known, but I'm not an HK hater by any means. if I hadn't spent an embarrassing sum over the last year on SBR's and suppressors I would consider an MP5 build just because. But, by the same token, I'm not willing to buy a HK45 so I can brag about having an HK handgun when I can find another option that better meets my criteria. (Besides, I may or may not have a VP9  ticket to the HK Club). I won't say "requirements" because no civilian "requires" a handgun; we choose to buy them for defense or recreation, not to fulfill our duty/condition of employment.

That flimsy magwell issue was years ago and hasn't been an acknowledged issue since. If it really was prevalent wouldn't there be outraged owners here and FNForum and other websites burning FN USA in effigy and deanding a fix/refund for their defective guns? Exactly.

I've shot FNX-45's and know what I'm getting into, which is a great suppressor host for range use and maybe HD use when I can find a place to store it somewhere inaccessible to my children.

Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:19:14 PM EDT
[#11]
If for whatever reason you don't want a USP45T, its a great choice.  And while it feels like crap in the hand, you don't notice that at all when shooting it, it shoots very soft.  

We sell a LOT of them, and have not had complaints.  We sell a LOT of HK45Ts also.  You did fine OP.
Link Posted: 10/9/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#12]
My FNX 45 Tactical has been absolutely flawless thus far. I'm extremely happy with the gun and have the utmost confidence in it. I've also got an HK USP which has been equally reliable but there's just something about a standard capacity of 15 rounds of .45 ACP.

And that's coming from a guy who's planning on buying a MK 23 soon.
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 5:59:48 PM EDT
[#13]
I've had my FNX-45 for a couple years, (probably around 1500-2000 rounds mix of suppressed and unsuppressed if I had to guess). Very happy with it!
Link Posted: 10/12/2016 6:05:04 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

FN is dead to me. I bought a FNP-T when they first came out. Awesome gun. I waited a long time and got the first one my dealer could get his hands on. $1100 and they fucked me. They never made mags in any quantity and then they orphaned it for the FNX.

Fuck 'em. Get an HK tactical GLOCK.
View Quote
Fixed

I went through the same thing. FN Handguns other than the Hi-Power are dead to me.
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I love my FNX-45T, now with and Osprey-45 and Vortex Venom.  It's a tremendously capable pistol.  

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:37:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Love my fnx tac. Zero operating issues. It does throw more gas than my smaller pistols when suppressed however. But that's to be expected when there is nowhere for it to go.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 11:18:32 PM EDT
[#17]
I recently came to the same conclusion as you OP.

I was dead set on a MK23 for a host but after i thought about it real hard decided that the lack of features just wasn't ideal at this very moment. So i looked at every other option and bang for buck the FNX seemed the best choice.

I borrowed my friends FNP 45 and took it for a test drive, it was accurate and fun to shoot so i said screw it. Picked up a pretty much BNIB FNX 45 for $900 cash the next day.

I put 200  flawless rounds through the FNX a few days ago and man what a great shooter. Super accurate, very soft recoil, a real shooter. Glad i picked it up, got a fastfire iii mounted on it yesterday, ought to add to the fun effect a lot more.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 2:18:57 PM EDT
[#18]
My FNP45 blew up in my hand. Returned it to FN and got an FNX no problem, no questions. My FNX had mags that stuck and didnt drop free, sent it to them and was fixed no problem. Hassle free from them. Sorry some of you have shitty experience. I also called the Pro Shop asking about FNS9 mag releases so i can put one in my 9C. Guy had a couple sitting in his desk drawer so he sent it to me the same day. Good customer service imo. That being said the FNX45 is my duty gun and the 9C is my carry gun.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:35:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Op again. I bought Talon grips and my Obsidian was approved a couple weeks ago. Hopefully work will cool off this week and I'll be able to hit the range.

Here's a pic of my FNX and MCO Operator

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 10:46:39 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the non tactical fnx45. I like it a lot. Reliable, but accuracy seems a bit off.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#21]
FN fixed the issue with the soft polymer. It was a bad batch of plastic.

I have 3 FNX-45's, the all black model with Trijicon HD's, the tan frame with black slide model and then the FNX-45 Tactical in tan and they frames on all 3 are roughly as flexible as any of my GLOCK's. Granted my HK's are stiffer but have you seen what happens when an HK frame breaks? They literally CRACK and shatter if the impact is hard enough, the FN and the GLOCK have more give and will be more forgiving. Look at the HK P2000's that the Border Patrol guy had shatter when he fell off his ATV. You can google it for more info, I've never seen a GLOCK or FN do that short of a KB.

I've never had any problems with ANY FN, GLOCK or HK poly frame though.

My FNX's run flawlessly. I'd really like an FNX-9 Tactical but I've given up any hope of FN ever making one so I'm going to build one I think! ;)
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 10:39:39 AM EDT
[#22]
I shot my FNX 45T for the second time yesterday. I just received my Dead Air Ghost and they pair up real well. I am really impressed how well this gun shoots with the suppressor on it.Really accurate, really quiet and shoots softly.
Link Posted: 12/21/2017 4:07:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Op again. I bought Talon grips and my Obsidian was approved a couple weeks ago. Hopefully work will cool off this week and I'll be able to hit the range.

Here's a pic of my FNX and MCO Operator

https://i.imgur.com/nICPRTj.jpg
View Quote
Nice setup! I also weighed the options for a 45ACP suppressor host. I was looking at the HK 45 Tactcial but pulled the trigger on he FNX Tactical. I’m glad I did. I own several HKs and love them but I prefer the FNX even over the USP lineup. The capacity was one of the biggest points that won me over. It’s not too big for my hands either. I’m weird and prefer the bigger grips like the Glock 20 and the USP so this felt right at home for me.

I have noticed some different barrel tolerances on my reloads. My FNX likes longer seated bullets while the HKUSPc 45 prefers very short bullets. Just a random observation.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I have noticed some different barrel tolerances on my reloads. My FNX likes longer seated bullets while the HKUSPc 45 prefers very short bullets. Just a random observation.
View Quote
Same here.
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 7:45:12 PM EDT
[#25]
You will love it with the can. Especially if you reload and experiment with powder charges. I have a load that just barely locks the slide back for a fooling around.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:11:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Good luck with the FNX.

My FNP was the biggest POS gun I ever purchased only followed up with FN's total lack of "customer service".
(There was a reason FN quickly discontinued the FNP)
View Quote
They were hit or miss, my 2011 fnp Tactical runs circles around my FNX, maybe I got a good one but after 3000+ rounds, reloads, tul, Wolf, wwb, pretty much anything I’ve run I’m yet to have a malfunction.  My fnx T 45 on the other hand is a boat anchor, chokes constantly, not sure what happened to FN
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#27]
I wasn't thrilled about adding a DA/SA to my stable. But it's really the only one of its type on the market. I really like shooting mine. I want to pick up the non tactical for no  better reason than to have a second.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 8:55:46 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Lol. No body else has experienced this. Its not an epidemic. They sent him a brand new gun to replace that one. I swear, people see one thing about a product online and they regurgitate it until they die
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdTsFB1ejo8

Bingo, My FNX 45 tactical is amazing, highly recommend.

Convinced me to get a five seven to go with it
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:26:14 PM EDT
[#29]
I have had a bag of mixed experiences with FN.

My first gun was an FNP45. Long bemoaned WWB issues with the mags. Being my first gun and being a newb, WWB was 99% of what the local wally world stocked cheap.
Sent in the mags b/c supposedly they fixed the issue, nope. It took 3 months to get the new mags too. I will say I sent in 3x 14rd and 2x 15rd and I got all 15 rounders back.
It is accurate, fits my hand well and shoots everything but WWB perfectly fine. Probably about 5k through it so far. I love it, mostly.

Next FN purchase was a PS90 receiver. I figured I would stamp it, and buy all the parts up to a complete gun while awaiting the stamp. Cool, no issues except a trigger pack.
Waited 13 months with a paperweight, and finally had enough and sold it off and got a refund on the stamp. Literally 2 weeks after I sold the last component I get a shipping notification.
The shipping info didn't say where it was from, so I didn't know what it was until it arrived. Aand they shipped me a FS2k pack accidentally.
The card they had on file wasn't valid anymore either, so I called and told them the scoop. Lady was very nice and offered to ship the correct part out ASAP at no charge, even when I reminded
her I didn't actually pay for it yet. So I got a free FS2k and PS90 trigger pack. I sold both, and had enough for a g43 and aiwb incog holster. Pissed, but sort of not?

eBay thread for the 20% off, got a RMR. Well now I need a FNX45T to go with it I love it, it's just as easy to shoot and just as accurate as my
other FN 45.

Would I buy another FN product? Sure, shit happens and sometimes you just get the odd turdball in the CS dept. I know they had some growing pains right after Bob left, saw a bunch of complaints over at
the FN discussion website (not sure if I can link)

I will say in closing, the rarity of trigger packs is a bit stupid, I mean c'mon.

Oh and FN has a special going on right now for a free APL light.

Link Posted: 9/23/2018 7:49:27 PM EDT
[#30]
I recently picked up a very lightly used FNX45 Stainless  with 3 -15 rounds mags, from a local store for $400.

1st time I picked it up, couldn't believe how nice it was and the condition was very, very lightly used.    I was surprised though that on one else had grabbed it since it had been sitting in the used section for a week.

Anyway, got a chance to take it out today along with my SA 1911.  Shot 5 rounds through 1911, and almost 150 rds through FNX.  The recoil was very soft- more like a push.  The accuracy was outstanding- I was thinking, "this pistol makes me look good!".   I was gonna take pictures of the targets but I figure I can do that again- maybe next time when it's not raining...
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 1:22:16 AM EDT
[#31]
I’ve got a regular FNX .45 at the moment and will be selling it to get the tactical at some point in the future.

Excellent gun, great ergonomics and perfect size for someone with larger than average hands.
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 11:58:36 PM EDT
[#32]
Buy twice. Cry twice?

Link Posted: 12/12/2018 6:54:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Nice!  What stick on grips are those?

I love my FNP.  I do only fire higher quality ammo with it (Federal or S&B) due to reading about all the blow up issues from the not-fully supported barrel.

I don't think mine had ever jammed - had some weak ejection issues (on the gun, not me!) when I first bought it, with brass hitting me in the head, but after some rounds and locking the slide back for a few weeks, the spring must have loosened up and now it throws the shells out of the way.

Accurate, reliable, cool looking, and not a bad handful for a double stack .45.

I did have the trigger pin drift on me - not at the range - must have happened while cleaning it afterwards.  I couldn't figure out why the trigger was acting weird, then looked it closely and saw the pin was moving out.  Popped it back in, now I eyeball it when I take it to the range and have had no repeat issues.
Link Posted: 12/12/2018 5:24:53 PM EDT
[#34]
These are rubber texture Talon's.
I put Talon's on everything.

John

Quoted:
Buy twice. Cry twice?

http://i64.tinypic.com/2ij4yug.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:33:04 PM EDT
[#35]
I may buy a FN-509 tactical to go with my FNX-45...
Link Posted: 12/30/2018 5:46:35 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I may buy a FN-509 tactical to go with my FNX-45...
View Quote
They are a match made in heaven.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:14:22 AM EDT
[#37]
If you can only afford one host for a suppressor, this would make the most sense. 45 is naturally subsonic for standard ball ammo so that’s a plus. Although I’m reloading my own subsonic 9mm ammo anyways, but if you stick to store bought stuff it’s easy to find anywhere.

A close second for most versatile suppressor host in a big boy caliber is the USP. I have a full-size USP9 and really love it. I’m looking to pick up a USP 45 Tactical to really compare apples to apples.

But that 509T sure looks pretty cool too. If you can run 9mm with a different piston on your 45 can I’d say get both.
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 6:19:12 AM EDT
[#38]
I will add something. I was shooting last winter at an outdoor range in Nebraska. It was stupid cold, like 5 degrees outside. Shot a couple glocks, my AR and a 1911 no problem. Tried my FNX 45 T and it jammed bad. It was not feeding well and was jamming every shot. I wasn’t sure if it was a problem with the mags or the slide itself in the cold. Have never had a problem with it since indoors or in more temperate conditions but I’m pretty convinced these guns aren’t made for extreme cold or extreme heat with how the mag well gets all bendy. It’s an awesome range toy but if I had to put my life on the line in extreme elements I’d buy the H&K.
Link Posted: 1/18/2019 1:16:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Wow! A lot of mixed reviews. I just picked on up this week.  I like it. Something that's different in my safe. I loved shooting it.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top