Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 8/19/2016 10:51:26 AM EDT
Hey all.  I've been an AR15 guy for the most part, and I haven't really had an interest in handguns until now.  I've shot plenty of them owned by friends but now I am looking to purchase my very own.

I'm more of the buy once, cry once type of guy.  Is purchasing the FNX 45 Tactical a bad idea for my first pistol?  

I realize there are more decision criteria than just getting feedback from a forum, but any insight is appreciated.  Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:35:55 AM EDT
[#1]

Some might argue that a handgun beginner shouldn't have a pistol with a manual safety, but I'm not one of them. The first semi-auto, center-fire handgun that I fired was a 1911. I had no problem learning how to manipulate and make safe at the age of 12.

Size might be an issue, but I don't know how big your hands are, compared to the size of the grip. You've shot a number of handguns; are you comfortable with a polymer 45?

Many of these decisions you'll have to make yourself.

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:40:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one with a Fast fire dot on top.
I even carry the thing.

nice gun, wont fail you.
in the beginning it doesn't like cheap weak loads.
once used a bit it is ok.

I have a few thousand through mine and the only time it gave me problems was the first
couple rounds. i load my own and those were some weaker rounds i made.

after that no problem since.

don't let any haters sway you, BS is probably inbound.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 11:49:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Its a great gun but a HOG

If you have any intentions of carrying I would go a little more small.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:07:06 PM EDT
[#4]
I really enjoy mine. I think the recoil on it is minimal. Probably helps that it's a beast. I really dig the fact I can put a red dot on it. You also can't go wrong with a G19/17 and I've been hearing great things about the Sig 320.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

This, love mine as a nightstand/range/vehicle gun but wouldn't want to try and conceal carry that thing! I've been shooting mine for about 1 1/2- 2 1/2 years and haven't had a malfunction yet, haven't kept track of round count. Of course you will need a suppressor for it next!

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/19/2016 4:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Great feedback.  FWIW, I don't plan to conceal carry.  It's primary use will be for home defense, range duty, and advanced carbine classes that require a handgun transitions.  In the near future, I'd like to run some events, but there aren't many where I live.
Link Posted: 8/19/2016 7:57:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Great feedback.  FWIW, I don't plan to conceal carry.  It's primary use will be for home defense, range duty, and advanced carbine classes that require a handgun transitions.  In the near future, I'd like to run some events, but there aren't many where I live.
View Quote

The FN FNX45T and HK USP45T are some of the top .45s IMO.

The HK feels more solid but the FN holds a few more rounds and had the RMR cutout.
Link Posted: 8/21/2016 11:04:00 AM EDT
[#9]
My FNX sits with my osprey and a light on my nightstand. And its my favorite gun. And out of all the guns I've owned, its been the most reliable. And it eats a steady diet of steel and aluminum cased ammo with zero hangup yet. Its a great pistol but the only downside is size I think. Running matches with it would probably get old pretty quick
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 12:54:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Like mine as a range toy/suppressor host, but it's not something I would carry around all day.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 11:14:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Op I'll just leave this right here. Next up is an osprey.
Link Posted: 8/23/2016 12:04:48 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote

SOLD.
Link Posted: 8/25/2016 12:34:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Mine is my nightstand gun.

Have you held one?  They are a big sumbitch.
Link Posted: 8/27/2016 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Mine is my nightstand gun.

Have you held one?  They are a big sumbitch.
View Quote

All of this ^, love mime and it's been 100% reliable, but I doubt small handed people will like it much!

Link Posted: 8/29/2016 12:54:58 PM EDT
[#15]
To reiterate what the above have said, holy moley she's a thick bitch but it's fun as hell to shoot.  Trigger isn't bad, sights are great, pistol is accurate as you can be.  Grip eats your hand up pretty well but damnit you'll never have an issue with it slipping!

I say get it.  I'm thoroughly impressed with mine.  There are too many quality, non-$500 RDS nowadays to stay away....now adding a suppressor....mmmmmmmm  
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 10:08:44 PM EDT
[#16]
I have one with a Vortex Venom RDS and an Osprey 45 can.  I love it, but I wouldn't hand it to someone and expect it to be fun to shoot.  I think it's a perfect second or third pistol.  It's huge (I think it's too big to carry regularly) and has a pretty aggressive cheese-grater grip.  One of my favorite things about it, the 3-position safety/decocker that allows SA and DA/SA, might be a deal breaker for a first pistol if you don't already have a preferred pistol configuration to adjust from.  It's only a little wonky coming from a DA/SA platform like the 92 or P226, or coming from an SAO like 1911 or other SIG.  As an initial pistol it might just be too goofy to be enjoyable.  A disciplined shooter will figure it out, but that's my 2 cents since you asked.  

You won't be disappointed if you pick one up, but I'd suggest something more straightforward and easier to carry.  You'll need to buy a revolver eventually, so maybe get that out of the way first!
Link Posted: 9/6/2016 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I have one that I carry as my work pistol. It isn't too big to carry, but it can be unruly if you have small hands.
Link Posted: 9/16/2016 11:46:27 AM EDT
[#18]
I guess I'm an outlier and don't think the FNX Tactical is all that big.

An M9 has a thicker grip and is taller.
Link Posted: 9/19/2016 11:52:56 AM EDT
[#19]
I have an fnx non tactical and I love it.  I use it for occasional winter carry but mainly it's in the car on the passenger seat or being carried own in a raven phantom for camping etc.  I find mine to be extremely accurate.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 1:22:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Fnx45 here. Wish i had got the TAC to start with. Bought the  Fn theaded barrel and tall trijicons with octane. I do ccw mine. They dont like SWC bullets though, extracting case drags on shoulder of bullet in the magazine and causes malfuntions. Other than that and initial break in no problems.
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#21]
My first pistol purchase was the FNX-45 TAC. I owned a machine gun before owning a pistol and chose the FNX as a suppressor host that would readily accept a red dot and flashlight that was also in .45 (so I could consolidate calibers with my M10).

I freaking love it. I would go to gun shows and get a grip on different 45 pistols, and even some 9mms, and the FNX fit perfectly in my hand.

With a Osprey45 it's crazy quiet and not all that heavy.
Link Posted: 10/13/2016 3:06:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I love mine. I even CCW it. With the thread protector I went through a pair of jeans. I had to switch my wallet to the other pocket.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top