Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2016 9:09:36 PM EDT
If one had a fns40, and a competent machinist, could one ream out the 40 s&w to 10mm? By could I mean would it actually work, not yes you could but would be to thin and kaboom. That and stronger recoil spring and you'd be golden yes?
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I do not think the mags are big enough for the 10mm.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:13:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't think this conversion will work in nearly any circumstance.  The .40 cal was developed (in part) to be larger caliber in a 9mm size frame.  The key dimension to make this work is cartridge length.  The 10mm is a longer cartridge, so I'm gonna say it's a no go.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#3]
Biggest issue is cartridge length. Mag demention front to back to short.
10 to .40, 40 to 9.

May not be enough chamber length to go 10mm without a kaboom. Maybe if no full boat rounds... But then why bother you can get 500ft/lbs plus out of .40. Full boat 10 is only about 35% more energy and depending on barrel length you may not see that much.
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 11:09:55 AM EDT
[#4]
No. I don't believe it would work for the reasons listed above, most importantly the overall length of the cartridge. Also, why? Pistols generally fall into one of a couple of categories as far as their intended use. Some are designed for hunting, some for sport shooting competition, and the majority are designed for defensive use against people. I don't know about sport shooting, but I can assure you that .40 S&W is plenty sufficient for defense against people. If you need a pistol for hunting or defense against 4 legged predators, I'd skip the 10mm Auto and go straight for a .44 Magnum or bigger. The 10mm isn't going to drop a human any more effectively than the .40 S&W. I've owned several of both.
Link Posted: 8/7/2016 3:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 10mm 1911...miss 45 :(
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top