Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 8:38:54 PM EDT
I'm having the mag release issue. Part of me thinks it's worth the ass raping shipping to gave it fixed right, part of me thinks "fuck it, we'll do it live".

What do you guys recommend?  I'm not a gunsmith, but I'm also not an idiot. I'm somewhere in the middle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:34:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Send it in on their dime.  Should be under warranty.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 10:37:24 AM EDT
[#2]
They pay for shipping?
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 3:54:18 PM EDT
[#3]
If it's a manufacturer defect they should.  I've never had a problem with my FN's so I'm not the best source.  Others will know.

I maintain that you should send it in.  If you work on it and happen to screw something up, the warranty is voided.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:52:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it yourself, Isaac.  It'll increase your knowledge of the gun & it's inner workings.  It'll increase your confidence in working on your guns, yourself, as well.

I filed on my FNX .45 Tactical's mag release and sanded out some of the interior of the magwell to get the mags to drop free.  For the sanding, I used a wooden paint stirring stick from the hardware store with some sandpaper cut to size and glued on it.  Worked great.  Test with empty mags.  When they drop free, you're done.  (Well, along with the mag release filing...)

There's youtube vids out there to show you how & where to file on the mag release unit, itself, IIRC.  Follow those instructions and take your time.  You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:25:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do it yourself, Isaac.  It'll increase your knowledge of the gun & it's inner workings.  It'll increase your confidence in working on your guns, yourself, as well.

I filed on my FNX .45 Tactical's mag release and sanded out some of the interior of the magwell to get the mags to drop free.  For the sanding, I used a wooden paint stirring stick from the hardware store with some sandpaper cut to size and glued on it.  Worked great.  Test with empty mags.  When they drop free, you're done.  (Well, along with the mag release filing...)

There's youtube vids out there to show you how & where to file on the mag release unit, itself, IIRC.  Follow those instructions and take your time.  You'll be fine.
View Quote

Thanks man, that's good advice.  

What grit sandpaper did you use?
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I don't recall exactly but it was leaning more towards fine grit...maybe a medium-fine.  Don't know if that's helpful but you don't want to take too much of the polymer off the inside of the magwell too quickly.

Work it & try the mag.  Work it some more, try it again...basically 'til all of your mags drop free on their own.  No fair using loaded or partial mags.  You want to know that empty mags will drop free when you need them to...during a dynamic, critical self defense event.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 1:01:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I don't recall exactly but it was leaning more towards fine grit...maybe a medium-fine.  Don't know if that's helpful but you don't want to take too much of the polymer off the inside of the magwell too quickly.

Work it & try the mag.  Work it some more, try it again...basically 'til all of your mags drop free on their own.  No fair using loaded or partial mags.  You want to know that empty mags will drop free when you need them to...during a dynamic, critical self defense event.

Good luck!
View Quote

Thanks!

By the way, when I first bought this thing, it was functioning perfectly.  Put a few hundred rounds through it.  Then one day I pull it out of my safe that mag release was just all kinds of fucked up.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:33:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Hmmm.  I dunno 'bout that one.  Gremlins?

Anybody?
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 11:42:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I've only had my FNX-45 for a few years, but have not heard of a mag release issue.

What's the scoop? Mine's always worked fine, drops empty mags as it should.

As for 'fix it or fuck it', my first instinct is to try it yourself first, as long as you feel confident you won't make it worse.
It's less trouble to spend a day working on it than to box it up & ship it, then wait for it to come back. Even if it's on FN's dime.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:03:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Hmmm.  I dunno 'bout that one.  Gremlins?

Anybody?
View Quote

Must be. I'm the only one who knows how to open the safe.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've only had my FNX-45 for a few years, but have not heard of a mag release issue.

What's the scoop? Mine's always worked fine, drops empty mags as it should.

As for 'fix it or fuck it', my first instinct is to try it yourself first, as long as you feel confident you won't make it worse.
It's less trouble to spend a day working on it than to box it up & ship it, then wait for it to come back. Even if it's on FN's dime.

View Quote

The mag release doesn't fit right, and can get jammed up. It doesn't move smoothly back and forth, and the magazine doesn't drop free.

A lot of fnx-45 had this problem,  way more than you'd expect from a $1100 model.

I'd be more upset, but I got mine for $850.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#12]
I fixed mine myself.

I cleaned up the polymer where the mag release rides. Cleaned up and removed some material to the left side of that little nub that catches on the mag. And I cleaned up an removed some material from the housing for the main spring/hammer (which I think was the real issue).

The bottom part of this thing contacts the back of the magazine causing it to get hung up.

Anyway, it all works as it should now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Does your gun do it with every magazine or only with certain ones?  The reason I ask is that I have 1 magazine where the follower (on an empty mag) rides over/beside the slide stop causing the magazine to not drop free when I press the mag release.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does your gun do it with every magazine or only with certain ones?  The reason I ask is that I have 1 magazine where the follower (on an empty mag) rides over/beside the slide stop causing the magazine to not drop free when I press the mag release.
View Quote

It's definitely the mag release.  It happens with any mag.  When I field strip it I can see the mag release getting stuck going in either direction.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's definitely the mag release.  It happens with any mag.  When I field strip it I can see the mag release getting stuck going in either direction.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Remove the mag release spring and work the release back and forth inside the frame.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:56:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Remove the mag release spring and work the release back and forth inside the frame.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just removed the spring, it's still sticky without it.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 6:13:53 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I understand, but now it will be easier to work back and forth inside the frame to try to free it up a little. And remove it all together and check the frame for any molding "burs". Basically anything that can stick up the release.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the pointers.

I checked the frame for burs or malformations.  Nothing looked amiss.  

I worked it back and forth for awhile with no improvement and no signs that the channel was seeing any meaningful wear.

So I sanded the magazine release.  I didn't have any super fine grit, so it's a rough job at the moment but after some work I did get it to improve to the point that it doesn't get stuck when I press it and it does release the mag.

Now the mags won't drop free either, and it looks to me like it's because the raised rails inside the grip are pushing on the magazine.  I may go after that with some high grit sandpaper, or I may just leave it.  At least it's functioning now.  This really is just a range gun for me.  I don't carry it.  It may become a home defense gun at some point, but right now it just sits in the safe waiting for me to buy more .45acp.

By the way, I found the easy way to reinsert that magazine spring.  Takes about 10 seconds to install if you do it right.  

This is really unacceptable for such an expensive gun
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 4:51:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks for the pointers.

I worked it back and forth for awhile with no improvement and no signs that the channel was seeing any meaningful wear.

So I sanded the magazine release.  I didn't have any super fine grit, so it's a rough job at the moment but after some work I did get it to improve to the point that it doesn't get stuck when I press it and it does release the mag.

Now the mags won't drop free either, and it looks to me like it's because the raised rails inside the grip are pushing on the magazine.  I may go after that with some high grit sandpaper, or I may just leave it.  At least it's functioning now.  This really is just a range gun for me.  I don't carry it.  It may become a home defense gun at some point, but right now it just sits in the safe waiting for me to buy more .45acp.

By the way, I found the easy way to reinsert that magazine spring.  Takes about 10 seconds to install if you do it right.  

View Quote

Maybe you should contact FN about sending it in. Did you look at the bottom part of the hammer housing? At least on mine, that's where most of the hangup for the mags to drop free was.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 5:56:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Maybe you should contact FN about sending it in. Did you look at the bottom part of the hammer housing? At least on mine, that's where most of the hangup for the mags to drop free was.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Thanks for the pointers.

I'm thinking that I should send it in.  Like I said, everything was fine for the first few hundred rounds and then all of the sudden, no ticky no tocky.

The magazine is definitely hanging up on the rails inside the grip.  It is tight from about 3/4's the way in to about 1/4 the way in, so it's tight even though it's not contacting the hammer housing.  

So this turns out to be 2 issues, one was the magazine release, and two is the magazine fit in the grip.  I swear it's like the entire frame shrank while sitting in the safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 12:49:12 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I'm thinking that I should send it in.  Like I said, everything was fine for the first few hundred rounds and then all of the sudden, no ticky no tocky.

The magazine is definitely hanging up on the rails inside the grip.  It is tight from about 3/4's the way in to about 1/4 the way in, so it's tight even though it's not contacting the hammer housing.  

So this turns out to be 2 issues, one was the magazine release, and two is the magazine fit in the grip.  I swear it's like the entire frame shrank while sitting in the safe.

View Quote
I'm having the mag drop issue, just like yours mine worked fine for hundreds of rounds and then all of a sudden wouldn't drop freely. I really don't want to do it myself, but then again I don't want to pay for shipping. I might try to contact them again and see if I can get them to spring for shipping.

Link Posted: 4/28/2016 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#22]
Let us know what you end up doing.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:20:41 AM EDT
[#23]
I had the same problem with mine.
I sent it in to the factory, they kept it a month and all they did was put some stinky oil on it and sent it back.
Link Posted: 2/22/2017 1:30:24 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Thanks!

By the way, when I first bought this thing, it was functioning perfectly.  Put a few hundred rounds through it.  Then one day I pull it out of my safe that mag release was just all kinds of fucked up.
View Quote

I had the same exact issue.  I tried fixing it myself but the result wasn't great and sent it back to the factory.   UPS charged me $90 plus bucks in shipping to get it there, FN wouldn't pay for it.  This from AZ so the distance was more than halfway across the country.

I think the grip is changing dimensions as the plastic ages.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top