Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 1:29:16 AM EDT
Have my FNX T. Now I'm looking to accessorize.
Primary use is for home defense as its a little bulky for EDC
That said; what are the accessories you've added or what would you recommend? And I will likely buy them spread out so which would you purchase first?

My intent is to add a Trijicon RMR 07 and a surefire 400. My hang up is this: should I splurge and add the green laser? After all, I already will have the RMR.  More than likely my target engagement will be well within 25 meters. The RMR already affords quicker target acquisition. Does a laser add anything more? My thought is to zero the RMR at 25 meters and the laser at 10 meters or vice versa. Is there even that much difference in point of aim at that range?

For the difference in price of a standard surefire 400 and the green laser I can get a damn nice holster and some extra mags.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:00:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I think the laser/red dot would be an awkward combination. I've honestly never heard of someone running both. Save yourself some money and order this, there is a $25 off coupon when u add it to your cart

http://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-69260-TLR-1-Rail-Mounted-Tactical/dp/B00B8Q31UQ/ref%3Dsr_1_1?ie=UTF8&tag=vglnk-c102-20
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 1:24:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I personally absolutely hate a red dot on a pistol. I had a trijicon RMR on my FNX T for awhile, removed it pretty quick. What most don't understand about RDS on pistols is that when the optic is so far away from your face, its hard to acquire that dot within such a small objective. Have you shot with a micro dot on top before? Im speaking really shot with one. If you haven't, buy a cheapo and try it out before you drop such money on the RMR.
Link Posted: 12/13/2015 9:34:28 AM EDT
[#3]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I personally absolutely hate a red dot on a pistol. I had a trijicon RMR on my FNX T for awhile, removed it pretty quick. What most don't understand about RDS on pistols is that when the optic is so far away from your face, its hard to acquire that dot within such a small objective. Have you shot with a micro dot on top before? Im speaking really shot with one. If you haven't, buy a cheapo and try it out before you drop such money on the RMR.
View Quote
Solid advice. Had an RMR06 on my FNX .45 Tac and ended up removing it and selling it in the EE. I couldn't get used to looking through the tiny lens. Buy like a used Burris FF3 to try out and if you dig it then step up to the Trijicon offerings.

I keep a TLR1HL on mine, but it will soon be replaced with a Surefire X300U that I got in the half off sale.
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 9:57:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Just curious here.  How many rounds did you guys put through your FNX 45 T's before you gave up on the red dot sights?

I found there certainly was a learning curve to getting on to the red dot (Burris Fast Fire III on my gun) but after watching a video on how to correctly learn its use, the curve got real quick.

In a nutshell, the trick is to (while learning) ALWAYS go for the iron sights FIRST, through the lens, of course as there's no other way to do it.  Once the irons are acquired, you won't need to be bobbing your head and craning your neck to find the red dot in the window.  It will just be there...in your sight picture.

Is this slower?  Yes, while one is learning and developing the muscle memory to bring the pistol up to your eyes, it will be slower...at first.  If you're training regularly and correctly, you should see a marked improvement in speed and accuracy with the red dot within the first thousand rounds, easily.

Again, finding the iron sights FIRST is critical in initial training on the red dot.  This is NOT the procedure for continued use after the exercise can be accomplished regularly and consistantly.
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 4:26:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Just curious here.  How many rounds did you guys put through your FNX 45 T's before you gave up on the red dot sights?

I found there certainly was a learning curve to getting on to the red dot (Burris Fast Fire III on my gun) but after watching a video on how to correctly learn its use, the curve got real quick.

In a nutshell, the trick is to (while learning) ALWAYS go for the iron sights FIRST, through the lens, of course as there's no other way to do it.  Once the irons are acquired, you won't need to be bobbing your head and craning your neck to find the red dot in the window.  It will just be there...in your sight picture.

Is this slower?  Yes, while one is learning and developing the muscle memory to bring the pistol up to your eyes, it will be slower...at first.  If you're training regularly and correctly, you should see a marked improvement in speed and accuracy with the red dot within the first thousand rounds, easily.

Again, finding the iron sights FIRST is critical in initial training on the red dot.  This is NOT the procedure for continued use after the exercise can be accomplished regularly and consistantly.
View Quote
1200 rounds. Towards the end I finally had gotten used to it and decreased the time it took to print tight groups. I found that even though I began to become proficient with it, I was not willing to sacrifice the training and proficiency with traditional iron sight pistols I'm favor of the only red dot mounted pistol that I own.

Link Posted: 1/16/2016 10:55:51 PM EDT
[#6]
FWIW, I have about 600 rds thru my FNX tac and run a Fastfire 3. It does take a little practice to get your sight alignment and although I do like the idea of the red dot, not sure if I'll keep mine on. I purchased this mainly for the mag cap and the option of running with a can.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 1:58:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an rmr06 on mine also and put over 1000 rounds through it over several months. I shoot the gun much better without it. I just couldn't get used to it. I have it on an AR now with a Larue mount and it is really nice. The auto brightness is a big plus.
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 11:33:10 AM EDT
[#8]
I just put an RMR06 on mine and have not even shot it yet. I would suggest a suppressor as an eventual accessory. They are expensive, but nothing beats it in terms of a fun shooting experience. Mine is a SilencerCo Osprey and it just looks and feels great with the Tactical.
Link Posted: 2/5/2016 7:07:04 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm interested in how some folks put "x" thousands of rounds through a pistol wearing a red dot before they made the determination that the red dot was slower?  Specifically what was the training regime to establish that?

I've got a bit background on this issue with the adaptation of red dots onto rifles in the late '80 and early 90's.  I'm a SOF guy by trade and I pushed hard for incorporating Red dots on the rifles in those day. Originally is was Tasco propoints that were sent off to guy named "scope doctore" or something like that. He'd harden the wiring and seal them, etc..When the SOPMOD program started up I also pushed there and would like think I had influence to see they were incorporated in that kit. The arguments against were much the same....slower, electronic failure, etc...I think we all see how that's worked out.  

The jury is still out in my mind re Red dots on pistols. I look at IPSC and see that many, if not most, top competitors use some type of electronic sight. Not that IPSC is the standard but those guys do go fast and fast counts....

So anyways, I'm still playing with mine and seeing where I can get to on 1st round from the draw, splits, and multiple targets of varying size (distance). Having some success but again, still looking hard at it. Ultimately though I'm pretty sure irons will be secondary on pistols the way they are on rifles. Going to take some time and appropriate training but that's where it's going. Just my .02.

Op, to your question....it's a big gun and three or four 15rd mags are weighty.  I built a war belt for this pistol and set it up with KT-Mech holster (the one with the hood....this one), a M-4 mag pouch, 2 pistol mag pouches, a suppressor pouch, drop bag and an IFAK (had the realestate....why not?).

I'm running a RM06 and a TiRant can.  

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top