Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 11/1/2015 3:21:50 AM EDT
Picked up a used FNX-45 for $500.00 dollars off a local. He guessed he had put 1500 rounds or so through it, thing looked brand new though.
I added some Trijion HD's to it last night and took it to the range today for the first time to make sure the sights were lined up properly.
Gun shoots amazing. I like it WAY more than I ever liked my HK45. I did have 3 failures to fire though. The gun goes into battery just fine but on 3 shots I pulled the trigger, the hammer dropped and nothing. Seemed to me that the hammer fell sort of lightly. A follow up trigger pull from the hammer down position sent the round sailing though so I mean it wasn't THAT big of a deal. Plus to a SA/DA pistol verses a striker fired or something like a 1911 but still, it bothered me a little bit.
Gun is clean, I see no debris or any issues. Not even sure what my question is here other than what should I check with this pistol?

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:23:37 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe its just me but ftf is THAT big of a deal
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 3:30:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Always a win when you find a weapon that you truly enjoy shooting.
Yep, Phil is correct, could be a big deal. Although, not knowing variables, such as # of rounds and make of ammo a bit hard to give an opinion.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:52:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Oil the piss outta it, and try different ammo.

THAT is a huge deal on a $200 gun...
$500, inexcusable.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Maybe that is part of the reason the other guy sold it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 10:00:05 AM EDT
[#5]
Make site no debris is blocking anything.

Lube.

Then replace springs if still bad
Link Posted: 11/1/2015 12:34:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I just said that it's not that big of a deal because it's not a carry gun. I'd like to make it my new night stand pistol, this thing with a X300U and a these Trijicon HD's on it would be bad ass but unless I can put like a few hundred rounds through without a failure, it won't be.
I have a HK45C for EDC and a M&P9 Shield when I have to pocket carry.
I checked the firing pin block as I did remove the rear right obviously. Wasn't sure if the spring was binding up but the stop moves flawlessly. Internally speaking the guns CLEAN, looked BRAND NEW.
Speaking of which... I don't think this gun had 1,500 rounds through it. I just re-read the PM the seller sent me online and I misunderstood. He was in fact the SECOND owner of of the pistol and had bought it from a friend, he guessed it had 1,500 rounds through it. Well like I said the gun looked BRAND NEW. It was very clean and had NO finish wear on the barrel or barrel hood. I put 100 round or so through yesterday and I now have MORE finish wear on the barrel than it came with from the seller. No way it had 1,500 rounds on it, not possible given the finish wear I have now.
ANYWAY...
I'm going to detail strip it and put it back together and try with some higher quality ammo. Going to reach out to FNH and see that they say also.  Maybe they will just send me some spring? When I needed springs for my HK, they just sent them to me. When my LEM hammer was canted, they just sent me a new hammer no questions asked. Maybe FNH will be as willing to help..?
I was using Perfecta which is Italian made I believe? I think Fiochi or however you spell it makes it. It's the $16.00 dollar special at my local Wal-Mart.
I will revisit this after I get to the range again!

Thanks guys! :)

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 7:10:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Was such a nice day out after like 4 days straight of cold rainy weather that I decided to go hiking today and I pulled out the MK18 RIS II and also took the FNX-45.

Popped off 100 rounds of Federal Aluminum ammo (cheaper shit than the Perfecta) and it ran flawlessly other than it felt under powered. Every round went *BANG* though. Still not sure if it was an ammo issue so I'm going to go again here in a couple weeks and putt 300~500 rounds of WWB through it. Going to give it a good cleaning and oiling this week first though.

Link Posted: 11/1/2015 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Thats great rb
Link Posted: 11/15/2015 11:23:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Wanted to post an update I think it was just dirty because I ended up cleaning it and I've been to the range twice now since with zero issues with the same ammo. Couldn't have been ammo anyway, was AFTER the round was chambered and when the hammer was falling. Anyway guns 100% reliable now.

Great shooter, love these things!
Link Posted: 11/25/2015 9:29:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wanted to post an update I think it was just dirty because I ended up cleaning it and I've been to the range twice now since with zero issues with the same ammo. Couldn't have been ammo anyway, was AFTER the round was chambered and when the hammer was falling. Anyway guns 100% reliable now.

Great shooter, love these things!
View Quote

If you didn't have any problems with the Federal Aluminum, you're probably fine.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 12:13:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Simple answer. I had the same problem. Gun went almost into battery but ever so slightly out. Turned out to be the ammo. I had a few problems with Winchester WB due to the case not being the same length. There have been others who have had the same issues with WWB before. I had one that I had to load single shot three times before it finally fired. Both of my FNX 45s run great on quality ammo.
Link Posted: 1/6/2016 1:36:41 PM EDT
[#12]
I know people love to claim hard primers are a myth, but they exist.  And in my experience its almost always European ammo which is what you are shooting.   I have also noticed issues with rim dimensions on European made 45 ammo.

Lets face it, how much real experience does any european mfg. have with 45 ammo on their side of the Atlantic, stick to us made ammo in 45 for best reliability.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top