Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2014 6:40:06 PM EDT
I just got a brand new FNX 45 tactical and having some FTE FTF issues.  Now I was shooting my light loads so I would expect some failures to lock the slide after last shot but bunch of FTE FTF.  I shot same reloads in HKs, Glocks and 1911s without any problems.  I even loaded glock 21 mag and uploaded by hand no problem.  But FN mags were binding a bit.  Is this normal ?  Are FNs less reliable then others?

2/22/2015

This is BS the FNX, nearly $1300 pistol is still choking.  I think I'm going to get the IMSI G17 rod and 15lbs spring, maybe that will help.

Since I have picked up a nice used (nearly new) HK45 tactical in FDE with 4 mags.  This deal was too sweet to pass up and as expected not a single issue.

If you are look for nice ready to go out of the box polymer tactical 45.  FNX 45 Tactical is not for you.[/span]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 6:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Never had an issue with mine, even shooting cast reloads.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 11:47:55 AM EDT
[#2]
This might be mag related.  Not sure yet as I only used only on of the 3 mags.  But it is certainly disappoinng since it is just about $1200 after taxes.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 5:44:35 PM EDT
[#3]
If your mags are indeed binding that's a likely source of problems. You say it's brand new. FNX Tacticals ship with stiff springs. Brand new mine was pretty much a single shot with light ammo. It gets better. Once it's broken in it should run flawless. Cycle the spring/slide by hand, and use higher power amp for a few hundred rounds and it will likely sort itself out.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Agree things might bit tight since it is brand new.  I'm of the thought that combat firearms should not require brake in period. Again , my argument that Glocks and Hk run out of the box. At least that has been my experience. Even my brand new .44 desert eagle ran fine out of the box.  Another thing I have noticed that the slide seems to be heavier than that of others.  I suppose that problem might be compounded due to heavy slide, new springs etc.  I have not given up on the  gun but bit disappointed.
Link Posted: 10/8/2014 8:13:59 PM EDT
[#5]
What overall length are your light loads?  When I got my FNX 45 I had to start seating the bullets a little deeper for that pistol.  It didn't feed properly until I did.

-Deke
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 2:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Agree things might bit tight since it is brand new.  I'm of the thought that combat firearms should not require brake in period. Again , my argument that Glocks and Hk run out of the box. At least that has been my experience. Even my brand new .44 desert eagle ran fine out of the box.  Another thing I have noticed that the slide seems to be heavier than that of others.  I suppose that problem might be compounded due to heavy slide, new springs etc.  I have not given up on the  gun but bit disappointed.
View Quote

I felt the same way, just know after the first few teething issues are ironed out, if it's anything like mine it'll be awesome. Also consider its a military firearm meant to shoot higher pressure ammo, so cheap civilian ammo won't cycle it reliably *at first*. I was frustrated too, it gets better!
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#7]
If you are having problems consider sending it back to FNH. I am sure theyll help you out especially if it was purchased NIB. The only malfunction Ive had with my .45 Tac was when my ole lady was limp wristing it, other than that it has been flawless.
Link Posted: 10/12/2014 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Got it running with Federal white box no problem.  What is puzzling is that all my other 45s, 2 glocks (21 and 30S), 2 HKs (USP tactical and HK45C),  3 1911 (Sig tacops, Scorpion Carry and Springfield loaded) and Sig220 Match Elite functioned just fine. So, here it is 8 other 45s were all good w/ the reloads but FN.  Not sure what to think of this? Is FN robust or does it require hotter loaded ammo, not say that Federal white box is stuff. I know that it was build as a suppressor host but so was HK USP Tactical.

Maybe I should have bought HK45 Tactical but got greedy seeing 15 round mag capacity.

Thank you all for input
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 7:21:18 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm thinkin your loads are to light. Keep In mind the size of the fnx tactical and the weight / mass of the giant slide on this pistol. I think that may have something to do with it not cycling properly with your loads. I'd say run a few hundred regular loads through it than try your loads again. Mine has been 100% since day one but then again I don't reload
Link Posted: 10/14/2014 1:19:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Got it running with Federal white box no problem.  What is puzzling is that all my other 45s, 2 glocks (21 and 30S), 2 HKs (USP tactical and HK45C),  3 1911 (Sig tacops, Scorpion Carry and Springfield loaded) and Sig220 Match Elite functioned just fine. So, here it is 8 other 45s were all good w/ the reloads but FN.  Not sure what to think of this? Is FN robust or does it require hotter loaded ammo, not say that Federal white box is stuff. I know that it was build as a suppressor host but so was HK USP Tactical.

Maybe I should have bought HK45 Tactical but got greedy seeing 15 round mag capacity.

View Quote

The HK45 is a great gun but I prefer the USP 45 with 12 +1 rounds on tap.
FN dropped the ball IMHO in making a gun that has trouble running some over the counter ammo ( as you have discovered).

Its a little embarrassing when other guns run fine or a POS gun can fire ammo your tactical model chokes on.

I had an FNP tactical and experienced the same as you mentioned above that it choked on ammo that ran fine in my 1911's , HK's.
My FNP 45 is long gone.
Link Posted: 10/22/2014 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#11]
1. Read all of the break in procedures for the FNX45T.

2. Quit shooting cheapo ammo.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 9:11:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure if you had chance to read through this post.  But my cheapo ammo happened to work in 8 other guns but FN.  I'm sure FN is fine piece of hardware after break in period.  This is not the point.  I was expecting Glock HK reliability but Kimber instead.

Quoted:
1. Read all of the break in procedures for the FNX45T.

2. Quit shooting cheapo ammo.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:07:30 AM EDT
[#13]
Try some full power factory loaded 230 grain ammo.  My FNX hasn't malfunctioned a single time since I bought it last spring.  Gonna estimate 500-600 rounds of winchester through it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 3:15:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Load the mags to full capacity and let them sit for a week. Then head to the range with some factory ball loads and break it in with a couple hundred rounds. Then try your hand loads again.  It's a new pistol and requires some break in with standard loads.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 5:15:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Load the mags to full capacity and let them sit for a week. Then head to the range with some factory ball loads and break it in with a couple hundred rounds. Then try your hand loads again.  It's a new pistol and requires some break in with standard loads.
View Quote

This.

Had the same issues on my light loads setup for my suppressor.

Put some full power loads in and it was night and day. Completely different gun. The gun does require a little bit of a breakin period, because it is VERY stiff out of the box. After about 2-300 rounds it will loosen up.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I decided to forgo the experiment and go with the HK USP Tactical 45, three less rounds, one less mag, no carry case, awkward unconventional light rail. But twenty years of reliability and peace of mind if I ever need to put my life on it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2014 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I decided to forgo the experiment and go with the HK USP Tactical 45, three less rounds, one less mag, no carry case, awkward unconventional light rail. But twenty years of reliability and peace of mind if I ever need to put my life on it.
View Quote

Smart decision.
Link Posted: 11/2/2014 3:19:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Got it running nicely.  Overall cartrige length of 1.21 from 1.26, nice crimp and 5.2 grains of HP38.
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I usually refrain from judging a Handgun until its broken in. Things need to move, they need to wear together, they need to smooth out. Its important to get a good 500 rounds through it before you start second guessing problems. Mine has never had a single issue. However a weapon needs to be cycled, just like the engine of a new car, you need to put it through its functions. I hope this helps.
Link Posted: 11/19/2014 12:02:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Did you clean and lube the mags? These guns definitely need a break in to function well, but any binding in the mags is likely from the ammo itself.

If you're having operating issues in extracting and feeding... The slide and spring on the FNP/FNX pistols are incredibly heavy. I have loads that will run my 1911 like clockwork that won't even budge my FNP slide.

I ended up getting an ISMI Glock 17 captured guide rod and a set of springs. I had to drill two holes in the grip end of the guide rod so that the takedown lever would fit, but a 15lb spring really made a difference.

Five minutes and a drill press and I was up and running loads that wouldn't even eject before.

ISMI on the right/bottom. It is less than 1/4" shorter, but it works great.

Link Posted: 2/22/2015 9:55:21 PM EDT
[#21]
BTT
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Did you clean and lube the mags? These guns definitely need a break in to function well, but any binding in the mags is likely from the ammo itself.

If you're having operating issues in extracting and feeding... The slide and spring on the FNP/FNX pistols are incredibly heavy. I have loads that will run my 1911 like clockwork that won't even budge my FNP slide.

I ended up getting an ISMI Glock 17 captured guide rod and a set of springs. I had to drill two holes in the grip end of the guide rod so that the takedown lever would fit, but a 15lb spring really made a difference.

Five minutes and a drill press and I was up and running loads that wouldn't even eject before.

ISMI on the right/bottom. It is less than 1/4" shorter, but it works great.

http://i.imgur.com/yoaLXm7.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/xwqh6Ct.jpg?1
View Quote

Seems FN ships the gun with extremely stiff springs then. Whether it be the recoil spring, or magazine, or the combination of the two.
Link Posted: 2/23/2015 2:41:13 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

BTT
View Quote
What is the actual issue you are having?

The only issues I have had with my FNP-45 are feeding 200gr SWCs, and the known issues with longer than COAL spec WWB ammo.

Other than those 2 minor issues, I have had zero problems.

Is the ammo getting bound up in your mags?

Link Posted: 3/1/2015 8:11:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 11:32:52 AM EDT
[#25]
What COAL are you loading to?
Link Posted: 3/2/2015 7:46:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I gave up on trying to diagnose failures with new guns. It can be tedious and costly- a waste of time and money in my book. Get in contact with FN. I have not dealt with their CS but other manufactures will give you a shipping label, so the only cost is gas to bring it to a terminal.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 1:24:14 AM EDT
[#27]
I just got my FNX-45 T this week, only about 100 rounds through it so far but it was flawless, I was shooting "Perfecta" 230gr FMJ and tried all 3 mags. After reading these kinds of threads I was nervous, but I think I'm going to love it!
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 12:35:35 PM EDT
[#28]
They sure are nice but bit amo picky.  The thing is super accurate.   I'm  simply proplexed as to why such quality pistol isn't reliable. I do understand that is was purpose built, suppressor use.  But I have never had so may issues with any other firearm, including AKs and ARs build by me.  Not a single problem with my other 9 45 pistols.  I believe that the end of the day FNX 45 is a "quality handgun.
Link Posted: 3/7/2015 4:52:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Mine has run with my reloads from day one.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#30]
Like I said earlier, I have an FNP-45, it does not like SWC or longer than SAAMI spec COAL.

RN or HP bullets, loaded to proper COAL, have always ran fine.

Make sure your cartridges are not longer than 1.275" and you should be OK

Link Posted: 3/11/2015 11:21:53 AM EDT
[#31]
l know that my magazines were very tight when new, used my Glock loader since the 10MM/.45 ACP tools fit, loaded 15 rounds in them all and let them sit for a week.
No issues except the first few times had them hang up on insertion if you didn't push the mag release, that has since cleared up.
Now that Glock has announced the new RMR models in .45 and 10MM I don't exactly regret the purchase, but...
Link Posted: 6/27/2015 11:18:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Just bought one....250 rounds of Winchester 230 gr white box, then 100 rounds of Remington 230gr JHP....
no feeding issues...less recoil than my HK USP 45...better trigger....as far as accuracy...the FNX and the HK shoot better than me.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top