Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 6/24/2014 12:16:51 AM EDT
hey guys,

i've not really posted anything in any of these forums as yet....mostly lurk and learn. :)

i came upon an FN forty-nine. i'm looking for a couple things for this pistol. first off, a holster. a left handed holster. i can't find ANYthing listed anywhere for lefty holsters for this pistol. secondly, the rail on this thing is weird. my tlr2s won't fit it. it's too fat. i've been told by a couple people that the rail on this is proprietary.  anyone here know about these things? i've only had this gun for about a month or two, but i friggin love the thing. shoots great....good enough to make me look better than i am, lololol.

thanks guys!
john
Link Posted: 6/26/2014 10:43:55 PM EDT
[#1]
FN Forty Nine ???

The FN 49 is a semi auto rifle made by FN in 1949...

Not sure what you are looking for...
Link Posted: 6/27/2014 11:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
i'll post a picture tomorrow. the fn forty-nine is different than the 49. the forty-nine is a 9mm semi auto pistol. i think it was produced 01 to 03 or something like that? shoots friggin GREAT......just that ya can't friggin find anything for them.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 1:50:05 PM EDT
[#3]
There's some discussion on it on the "80/90s Era Handgun That Never Became Popular" thread.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1639350_80s_90s_era_handguns_that_never_became_popular__Anyone_have_these_or_remeber_them_or_others_.html

If your handgun is listed in that thread it's a fools errand trying to configure it as a modern pistol. It's a historical pit-stop along the way to the FNS series.
Link Posted: 6/28/2014 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Good luck finding anything for the gun- Brownell's has some magazines in stock for it but good luck finding any of the sixteen rounders if your gun is 9mm.  Several years ago when I was actually looking there is a holster that was listed as working with them but for the life of me I can't recall which gun it is actually made for.  

The trigger is horrible- like a POS Taurus 94 (the .22LR revolver with the heavy trigger) but if you learn to stage it kinda sorta you're right, it can be a very accurate gun.  Snap shooting with it is a joke.  If you could retrofit a later model trigger into it that would solve most of it's problems other than that goofy worthless rail.  

I posted pictures of mine in the aforementioned thread- I'd love to sell the damn thing.  
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:37:58 PM EDT
[#5]
to be honest, one of the things i like about it, is the long slightly heavy trigger. don't get me wrong....i friggin LOVE the touch/bang trigger on my 1911. but this is smooooooth....long.....feels about 7lbs........but smooth as glass. it kinda forces me to concentrate a bit more on my trigger discipline. i honestly enjoy shooting this gun. i want the holster for it, as i'm eventually gonna put it in my bugout bag with a few hundred rounds. and yes, mine's the 9mm.....but i've not seen anything other than 10 round mags for it anywhere.
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 9:39:00 PM EDT
[#6]
also....i'd LOVE to find some way to fit something like a laser of a light to that stupid rail, although i don't have very high hopes for that one, lolol
Link Posted: 7/1/2014 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#7]
You're trying to shoehorn an outdated and unsupported oddball pistol with no support, aftermarket, or spare parts into a serious use handgun.

I get that it's a fun gun. But you're basically out of luck for what you want to do with it. Take a look at the other FNs, the FNX and FNS as well as some other new polymer guns. You'll be able to easily able to find holsters, standard cap mags, spare parts, and lights/lasers.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:07:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You're trying to shoehorn an outdated and unsupported oddball pistol with no support, aftermarket, or spare parts into a serious use handgun.

I get that it's a fun gun. But you're basically out of luck for what you want to do with it. Take a look at the other FNs, the FNX and FNS as well as some other new polymer guns. You'll be able to easily able to find holsters, standard cap mags, spare parts, and lights/lasers.
View Quote

Yup.   FN has not had a very good track record since giving up on the classic BHP /P-35.

They have done this several times in the past few decades.....release a half baked pistol, and discontinue after a few years, come out with "improved all new" gun that uses no prior parts or mags.

BHP-DA
BDA
FN 49
FNP

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop on the FNX or FNS and an "all new " gun to come out without any mag support from the comparatively successful FNX line.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yup.   FN has not had a very good track record since giving up on the classic BHP /P-35.

They have done this several times in the past few decades.....release a half baked pistol, and discontinue after a few years, come out with "improved all new" gun that uses no prior parts or mags.

BHP-DA
BDA
FN 49
FNP

Just waiting for the other shoe to drop on the FNX or FNS and an "all new " gun to come out without any mag support from the comparatively successful FNX line.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

BHP-DA
BDA
FN 49
FNP

That is what dissuades me from buying a FNS.  I am a big Glock fan because of the good support for older guns and how parts and mags interchange for the most part.

You can get a new FNS with no manual safety and black finish from www.grabagun.com, last time I checked the price was $450.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 3:10:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That is what dissuades me from buying a FNS.  I am a big Glock fan because of the good support for older guns and how parts and mags interchange for the most part.

You can get a new FNS with no manual safety and black finish from www.grabagun.com, last time I checked the price was $450.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

BHP-DA
BDA
FN 49
FNP

I think the FNS is a good gun, but the market has surpassed it.

The new Walthers and the upcoming HK VP9 outclass it.

That being said, when they show up on CDNN for $349, it wouldn't hurt to pick one up.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Three things would have to happen for me to return to the FNS from Glock: more aftermarket support, magazines that don't cost $40 and a sub compact model.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top