Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 5/8/2014 9:41:42 PM EDT
I have had my FNP-45 USG for a few years (test fired May 2009) I've had problems in the past shooting SWC and WWB with it but I've read that it had problems with certain ammo types.

Tonight I shot 100 rds of Federal FMJ and had 2 malfunctions, both feeding problems. The first one was cleared with immediate action (tap & rack) but the second one required locking the slide back, pulling the mag and inserting a fresh mag. I was shooting USPSA so both of these hurt my times quite a bit. I oiled the pistol after the first malfunction but it didn't seem to have any effect. Even when it was running well I was getting brass thrown at my face and on my arms.

I love my FNP-45, it was my first real pistol and I really enjoy it. But I'm not happy with it's performance and with this track record I could never use it as a defensive pistol. I've read about other people having similar issues, will FN remedy these problems? Is it a magazine issue or does the pistol need to be repaired?

Update: Sent gun back to FNH and they're replacing it with a new FNX-45.
Update 2 (11/21): Got FNX-45 and it doesn't seem to be working right. Sending that back.
Update 3 (12/17): They received the FNX-45 and said it needed to be replaced, no specifics. Now I'm on the waiting list to get another FNX-45.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 10:53:22 PM EDT
[#1]
That pistol is not generous with the OAL of certain cartridges that it will run reliably with. I load all my own ammo, so my fix was easy: seat the bullets deeper.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:16:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That pistol is not generous with the OAL of certain cartridges that it will run reliably with. I load all my own ammo, so my fix was easy: seat the bullets deeper.
View Quote

Is that the root of all the problems? Is there any factory ammo that runs 100% in the FNP without getting a face full of hot brass?

I don't remember the details but I thought FN had a magazine problem in 2009ish?
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:27:04 PM EDT
[#3]
The FNP was designed and built around one specific round (NATO .45 ?)for trials testing and the stingy magazine space is an engineering error / oversight IMHO.
Its bad when a POS Hi Point feeds more ammo brands reliable without choking than the FNP45.
The FNX series addressed this issue and went to a more supported chamber barrel and different magazine assy which do NOT interchange between the FNP / FNX.  

My FNP-45 tactical was the shortest lived gun I have ever owned and was quickly replaced by HK.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:35:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
The FNP was designed and built around one specific round (NATO .45 ?)for trials testing and the stingy magazine space is an engineering error / oversight IMHO.
Its bad when a POS Hi Point feeds more ammo brands reliable without choking than the FNP45.
The FNX series addressed this issue and went to a more supported chamber barrel and different magazine assy which do NOT interchange between the FNP / FNX.  

My FNP-45 tactical was the shortest lived gun I have ever owned and was quickly replaced by HK.
View Quote

I'm aware of the issues but I'd like to find which rd it will work with. .45 NATO isn't a recognized cartridge (that I'm aware of) but I know the mil orders a specific type.

I'd hate to sell this gun as it was my first real pistol. I just want to find good feeding ammo and/or find out if FN addressed any of the issues with warranty or replacement.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:14:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I'm aware of the issues but I'd like to find which rd it will work with. .45 NATO isn't a recognized cartridge (that I'm aware of) but I know the mil orders a specific type.

I'd hate to sell this gun as it was my first real pistol. I just want to find good feeding ammo and/or find out if FN addressed any of the issues with warranty or replacement.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The only way to be 100% sure is test the ammo you want to use in your own pistol.
As to the warranty support I would call FN and ask them specifically about warranty coverage. I say call because FN never seems to respond to emails unless you have a .gov extension.

Part of the reason I quickly sold my FNP is when my gun was at the factory for repair it was announced it had been discontinued. I did not like the idea of having a gun that they ran a very short time and quickly discontinued. You own a pistol that they no longer make and several key parts are not interchangeable with a unique magazine. If FN says they will support it and your gun works then enjoy it but long term support is a real consideration and LOTS of other guns to choose from without issues and better support.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:49:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Is that the root of all the problems? Is there any factory ammo that runs 100% in the FNP without getting a face full of hot brass?

I don't remember the details but I thought FN had a magazine problem in 2009ish?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In 2010 I ran a couple boxes of Fed American Eagle through mine, I remember because it killed me paying $17/box and now that's probably considered a bargain. Don't recall any problems with the FAE.

Sorry, don't own the FNP anymore so that's all I got. You might try working with a local reloader who sells retail; maybe you could work with him on getting bulk ammo that runs reliably in your FNP.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Are you still using the original magazines?  The later FNP (not the FNX) magazines were supposed to have fixed this.  I have a late 2011 model FNP-45 Tactical that I've never had any issues with and I've shot nothing but WWB out of it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2014 7:44:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are you still using the original magazines?  The later FNP (not the FNX) magazines were supposed to have fixed this.  I have a late 2011 model FNP-45 Tactical that I've never had any issues with and I've shot nothing but WWB out of it.
View Quote

Yes, still using the original mags. Can I send them to be replaced?
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 10:30:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Probably a question best asked to FN directly...
Link Posted: 5/12/2014 6:24:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think so.  Right before I bought my FNP I'd heard about how great FN's customer service was.  Right after I made my purchase I started hearing how everyone there got canned or something and it suddenly went to shit.
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:23:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't think so.  Right before I bought my FNP I'd heard about how great FN's customer service was.  Right after I made my purchase I started hearing how everyone there got canned or something and it suddenly went to shit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

no kidding, it has gotten awful...   I think they took a customer service class from H&K...

Spent $91 for next day shipping for a design defect on the FNX45 where the mags would bind in the gun, can't get anyone on the phone who will reimburse me...
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:28:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
no kidding, it has gotten awful...   I think they took a customer service class from H&K...

Spent $91 for next day shipping for a design defect on the FNX45 where the mags would bind in the gun, can't get anyone on the phone who will reimburse me...
View Quote

Damn, the sad thing is this would be one of the best pistols on the market if it weren't for the feeding and brass issues. I'll call FN but it sounds like this will be a designated range gun, probably won't get shot much either because when I shoot 45 I like my 1911.
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 8:40:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After looking more into this it looks like they laid off Bob Ailes and the entire customer service debt (which had a pretty good reputation) in 2011 and had Browning take over.

I'm going to try to get my magazines replaced to see if that fixes the feeding and brass ejection issues. Hopefully they can help me out but in case they won't I bought a Glock 21.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
I ditched my FNP-45 because I could never count on the ammo I bought for it to feed.

The trigger was also terrible and too long in DA.   Other reports on trigger pins and host of other poor design issues got me out of it.

The gun looks great on paper.  But once you get to really know it, it shows that FN had half baked it.   As if two teams of engineers were working on it.   One team of experienced guys, and a team of summer interns.
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 10:35:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I ditched my FNP-45 because I could never count on the ammo I bought for it to feed.

The trigger was also terrible and too long in DA.   Other reports on trigger pins and host of other poor design issues got me out of it.

The gun looks great on paper.  But once you get to really know it, it shows that FN had half baked it.   As if two teams of engineers were working on it.   One team of experienced guys, and a team of summer interns.
View Quote

I had similar experiences, awesome gun on paper but just hasn't delivered.  I sent it in to FNH (Browning) for repair on the 1st, I'll report back when I hear what they have to say.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#16]
I called today to check on the status of my pistol. To my surprise they asked if I wanted a brand new FNX-45 to replace it.

I asked if they could take the night sights off my FNP and put it on the FNX for me and they said that wouldn't be a problem.

The FNP-45 was my first real pistol so I had an attachment to it but I can't complain about getting a brand new pistol. I'm excited now.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 10:00:32 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I called today to check on the status of my pistol. To my surprise they asked if I wanted a brand new FNX-45 to replace it.

I asked if they could take the night sights off my FNP and put it on the FNX for me and they said that wouldn't be a problem.

The FNP-45 was my first real pistol so I had an attachment to it but I can't complain about getting a brand new pistol. I'm excited now.
View Quote

That is an amazing testament to FNH's customer service, something that is questioned quite a bit in the private sector.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:56:11 PM EDT
[#18]
awesome deal for ya .... glad to hear they stepped up to solve your problem
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:24:42 PM EDT
[#19]
I have only run WWB, Federal 100rd value packs, Remington UMC value packs and Magtech ammo thru mine - all have cycled flawlessly with no FTF or FTEs.  Maybe about 1500 rds so far.

I bought the pistol used from a pawn shop and it looked like it he been shot very little.  Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but my FNP 45 has chewed up everything and I absolutely love it.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Both my FNP 45s have been great so far, probably up over the 7,000 round count between them. The only time I ran into an issue was with WWB which has been known to cause issues. Lately, for cheap plinking, I've been running Tula from Wal mart. Not a single issue and it runs fine suppressed too. Probably fired over a 1,000 rounds of it......matter of fact going to shot them some more today glad FNH got you squared away.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:56:57 AM EDT
[#21]
With approx. 5K of my reloads through it, my FNP 45 with TB & tall sights (not cut for RMR) is like the Eveready bunny, it just keeps going & going & going. It runs great with or without my Osprey.

I must be really lucky and gotten a good one because I have experienced no issues with it at all. At one time I worried that I had made a mistake in not getting the FNX, but no longer. I really love this pistol!
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:47:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey OP,

Did FN ever communicate with you about what was wrong with your gun or did they just offer to replace it?

I'm curious because today at the range my FNP-45 had six or seven jams in three mags worth of shooting.

I was shooting Winchester White box that I bought yesterday and am wondering if I just need to find a different ammo or send it in.

Unfortunatelety, I didn't get to shoot anything else because WWB is all I have right now.

I've had some jamming before with Magtech, Federal and Remington UMC, but today was way more annoying.

Did FN tell you they fired it and had the same problems or do you think they just looked at it and thought it would be easier to replace instead of trouble shoot?
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:00:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey OP,

Did FN ever communicate with you about what was wrong with your gun or did they just offer to replace it?

I'm curious because today at the range my FNP-45 had six or seven jams in three mags worth of shooting.

I was shooting Winchester White box that I bought yesterday and am wondering if I just need to find a different ammo or send it in.

Unfortunatelety, I didn't get to shoot anything else because WWB is all I have right now.

I've had some jamming before with Magtech, Federal and Remington UMC, but today was way more annoying.

Did FN tell you they fired it and had the same problems or do you think they just looked at it and thought it would be easier to replace instead of trouble shoot?
View Quote

I'm not the OP but it is a well publicized fact that the FNP 45 series of pistols do not do well with WWB ammo, something about the OAL not being consistent and usually too long causing hangups in the magazine. This was one of the fixes the FNX series took care of.

The ONLY time I've ever had either of my FNP45s not function properly was with WWB, never used that ammo since. PMC and TULA both run like a champ. Hope that helps you.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 5:41:46 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hey OP,

View Quote

I didn't get any info on the exact problem but they indicated it's be easier to send me an FNX than fix my FNP. I would call their customer service number and describe the problems you're having. They'll probably ask you to send it in and they'll take a look at it for you.
Link Posted: 10/3/2014 6:37:30 PM EDT
[#25]
Got my new FNX-45 today! More info an pics later.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#26]
My FNX-45 didn't seem to work correctly. Here's how I discribed the problem in the letter:

When the guide rod is put into the slide, it appears to sit flush on the front of the slide, however, when the slide is on the frame, a portion of the guide rod hits something and will not let the slide go back into position. The guide rod seems to engage early and a portion of it will stick out the front of the slide. When in this position the slide assembly will rock forward and backward on the frame about 1/4 inch, until it seems to lock into place. Sometimes when entering a magazine into the magazine well, it will get caught on something, and they will not always drop free.

Sending it back again.
Link Posted: 11/21/2014 12:26:23 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I have only run WWB, Federal 100rd value packs, Remington UMC value packs and Magtech ammo thru mine - all have cycled flawlessly with no FTF or FTEs.  Maybe about 1500 rds so far.

I bought the pistol used from a pawn shop and it looked like it he been shot very little.  Maybe I'm just one of the lucky ones, but my FNP 45 has chewed up everything and I absolutely love it.
View Quote
I had the same experience, mine ate WWB, UMC, Magtech, Hornady XTP, Federal HST, everything. One of the few guns I regret selling, that thing was a tackdriver. Mags wre hard to find and expensive though

Link Posted: 12/17/2014 4:23:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Called FNH today and they said the FNX-45 I sent in was defective and needed to be replaced. Now I'm waiting again for the next batch of FNX-45s.

Hopefully #3 will be a good one.
Link Posted: 1/6/2015 8:07:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Just my 2cents - I own one of the very early FNP-45 models (no safety, 14rnd mags). I got the gun years ago and still keep it as my favorite despite the ammo drama.

What doesnt work - WWB just simply will not cut it in the gun. Stovepipes at about 1/5 shots and worsens w/ a weak grip.
What has worked - I have had ZERO failures (ZEROOOOO) when not using WWB. I have used Federal, Hornaday JHP, Remington UMC, TUL Ammo, PMC, Sellier & B, Fiocchi, and even PPUs. I'm not sure of my exact bullet count but its pretty dang high.

That's just my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 1:44:44 AM EDT
[#30]
I just bought a used FNP.45 and finally got to shoot it today. Worked great with five different types of ammo with both fourteen round mags,but would not feed
WWB or Hornady cutom 230 grain XTP +P reliably in the fifteen rounder.
Apparently just a magazine issue in my case.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 2:07:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Called FNH today and they said the FNX-45 I sent in was defective and needed to be replaced. Now I'm waiting again for the next batch of FNX-45s.

View Quote

Just to update, FN did send me another new FNX-45 and it looked 100%. I ended up selling it, just not the pistol for me I guess.
Link Posted: 4/26/2015 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Just to update, FN did send me another new FNX-45 and it looked 100%. I ended up selling it, just not the pistol for me I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Smart move.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top