Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2014 9:26:39 PM EDT
I handled a FNX 9 and a FNS 9 at the fun stores today, and while I like how small the safety is on the FNS, I felt like the trigger was 3X better on the FNX.

A friend is suppose to let me borrow his 4-5 year old FNX-40 tomorrow to try out at the range, any other suggestions or recommendations on which to pick?

The only other thing ive noticed is just how rough the plastic grips are, which can really rub your skin raw doing Inside the Waistband carry-  I think simply putting a little tape on one side might cure this... that was the only other real concern I had.

thanks for any advice in advance
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 4:49:49 AM EDT
[#1]
I shot a buddy's FNX-40 at the range last month and fell in love with it.  Super accurate and the trigger was extremely nice.  Like you, I'm thinking about picking one up in 9mm, simply because all my other handguns are 9mm and .40 ammo is more expensive.  That said, I was impressed that the FNX-40 didn't feel that "snappy" and was very enjoyable to shoot.  We only had the target at 5m, but I blew out the center of the target with 10 rounds, all in a grouping around the size of a quarter.  For the first time picking up an unfamiliar gun, I was shocked.  Good luck on picking one up and definitely let us know your thoughts on it if you do ;)
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I got a chance to borrow a friends FNP-40 ( predecessor to the FNX )

I went to the range yesterday, I didnt love it. I shot left of point of aim the entire time.

I then punched out the bullseye with my M&P9 compact. I think for now Ill be sticking with my M&P series pistols
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:38:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I went to the range yesterday, I didnt love it. I shot left of point of aim the entire time.

I then punched out the bullseye with my M&P9 compact. I think for now Ill be sticking with my M&P series pistols
View Quote

Honest question: did you really expect to shoot as well with a completely different weapon system as you do with what you're used to after one range trip?
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 8:56:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I loved shooting the FNP-9 and the FNX-9 feels great in the hand. I keep returning to the idea of owning an FDE FNX-9 even though I'm a huge fan of striker guns without external safeties.

The FNS-9 looks like a great striker gun, but for some reason I'm not horribly interested in it. I love my M&Ps, I'll be buying a P320, Glocks are a universal standard, but the FNS just does nothing for me.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 10:43:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Honest question: did you really expect to shoot as well with a completely different weapon system as you do with what you're used to after one range trip?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ive only shot my M&P compact 3-4 times... so its not like I have that much time behind the trigger. I actually shoot it better than the glock I have had for 17 years....  theres just something about the M&P9c that rocks
Link Posted: 5/7/2014 4:11:43 PM EDT
[#6]
So did you decide to give up on a FN altogether? I recently picked up a FNX40 and can't rave enough about it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 1:15:10 PM EDT
[#7]
well, I would have to shoot a FNS-9 before I commit to buying. for now, the idea is on hold
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 12:25:10 PM EDT
[#8]
The FNS w/o the safety has it all over the other models IMO.  But get what you like.
Link Posted: 6/29/2014 7:41:21 PM EDT
[#9]
My FNS had a 7.5 pound trigger pull.  I sure wish they could drop it a pound or two.  I think the single action pull on my FNX is better.  David
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:57:01 AM EDT
[#10]
They are both nice-looking guns.  The FNX-9 is a few ounces lighter.  Haven't shot either one but I own all striker-fired pistols.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 9:22:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Hello, so I am an old FNP 9 owner and loved it, but about a year or so ago I needed money so I had to sell it..  So fast forward to today I came across a great deal on an FNS and knowing how much I loved my FNP I snatched it up, took it to the range and man I hate the trigger I am a avid shooter and at 25yrds can keep a very nice grouping, but with the FNS it was all I could do to stay on the paper what gives?  I am guess that the FNX is pretty much identical to my old FNP!
Link Posted: 2/11/2015 5:56:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Buy the FNX9 you won't be disappointed, I've had mine for over 8 months now and I love it! Its honestly the most accurate pistol I have shot (Might just be me) But about the grip panels.. I prefer the backstrap to be the curved ribbed one, The checkered curved backstrap is just too aggressive.. But the side panels are not bad at all I kinda like the way they are pretty pointy, It seems like it allows for better control of the handgun.. Also if your worried about it just take 1000grit sandpaper to them lightly and it makes it a lot less aggressive. The trigger is pretty good but does have a lot of creep before the break. I've read that the trigger on the FNS is pretty stiff, That's why I prefer the DA/SA FNX, The double action trigger on the x is pretty stiff lol but the single is not bad at all once you get use to it. But pretty much I've now put over 500 rounds through it and only 2 jams and that was due to a brand new magazine. You will love the FNX trust me!
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 4:48:49 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The FNS w/o the safety has it all over the other models IMO.  But get what you like.
View Quote

I agree here, I am former USMC and current LEO carrying a Glock 22. I have lots of time on heavy triggered weapons, so guns like the VP9 and the PPQ are too nice for me. But the FNS-9 is a whole nother story. I'd say that as far as a combat trigger weighted pistol its the finest one on the market.
Link Posted: 2/12/2015 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My FNS had a 7.5 pound trigger pull.  I sure wish they could drop it a pound or two.  I think the single action pull on my FNX is better.  David
View Quote
I posted a thread on this forum on how I got my FNS to a 4.5-5# trigger... It is not hard.

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top