Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 3/20/2014 8:06:31 PM EDT
I sent FN an email asking them to detail the design differences between the FNP 45 and the FNX 45 and I got some cut and paste BS answer that is dumbed down for any yahoo out there. So I asked the questions straight forward and havn't heard from them in days. Anyone know whats going on down there? I assumed that some poor kid is answering these emails with a reference list of generic answers, but dang.

On that note....anyone have a detailed list of the design differences between the FNP and FNX haha
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 2:54:01 AM EDT
[#1]
I'd love to hear these too as I don't really see any differences other than name...

Bill
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:15:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Here is what they sent me Silver

"FNP to FNX-45 Changes:

The FNX-45 is functionally and ergonomically the same as its FNP predecessor, however some internal dimensions have been updated for optimal performance with a wider variety of commercially available ammunition.  The FNP-45 was initially developed in response to a military requirement and thus built around NATO ammunition specs.

Please specifically note that the FNP magazines are not interchangeable the the FNX."

Like I said, cut and paste answer.
Link Posted: 3/21/2014 6:36:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Somebody screwed up on the drawing board specifications. If the measurements were done correctly, they wouldn't of had so many issues.

Link Posted: 3/21/2014 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here is what they sent me Silver

"FNP to FNX-45 Changes:

The FNX-45 is functionally and ergonomically the same as its FNP predecessor, however some internal dimensions have been updated for optimal performance with a wider variety of commercially available ammunition.  The FNP-45 was initially developed in response to a military requirement and thus built around NATO ammunition specs.

Please specifically note that the FNP magazines are not interchangeable the the FNX."

Like I said, cut and paste answer.
View Quote

So it is the same gun that handles a wider range of ammo.

What else do you need to know?
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 3:50:17 AM EDT
[#5]
my FNP 45 Tactical was 100% but I recall they had issues with Winchester white box...thanks for the update...

The FNP 45 Tac was poorly named as it wasn't really an FNP but the FNX wasn't out yet...anyway...the response you got is what I recall reading when the "new" FNX Tac was being introduced...thanks.

Bill
Link Posted: 3/22/2014 6:45:09 AM EDT
[#6]
They also addressed the barrel support issue that was causing case ruptures that were blowing pistols up.

The customer service system at FNH is mostly nameless now, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Somebody screwed up on the drawing board specifications. If the measurements were done correctly, they wouldn't of had so many issues.
View Quote

Not exactly accurate.

The pistol was originally built for submission to the military to compete for the new pistol solicitation.  As part of the testing, the military provided samples of 45 acp for design and testing.  The pistol was optimized for that specific round.

Later, after the pistol soliciation was cancelled, the decision to release the FNP for public sale was approved.  The pistol worked fine with all ammunition except for certain lots of winchester white box ammunition whose overall length was slightly longer than normal (but still within SAAMI specs.)

The FNX design addressed those tolerance issues and the previously mentioned issues with chamber support.  There were also some minor internal changes to streamline production and improve trigger pull quality and consistency.

Nobody "screwed" up.  The original FNP did exactly what it was designed to do with a specified type of ammunition.

USSA-1
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 3:55:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not exactly accurate.

The pistol was originally built for submission to the military to compete for the new pistol solicitation.  As part of the testing, the military provided samples of 45 acp for design and testing.  The pistol was optimized for that specific round.

Later, after the pistol soliciation was cancelled, the decision to release the FNP for public sale was approved.  The pistol worked fine with all ammunition except for certain lots of winchester white box ammunition whose overall length was slightly longer than normal (but still within SAAMI specs.)

The FNX design addressed those tolerance issues and the previously mentioned issues with chamber support.  There were also some minor internal changes to streamline production and improve trigger pull quality and consistency.

Nobody "screwed" up.  The original FNP did exactly what it was designed to do with a specified type of ammunition.

USSA-1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not exactly accurate.

USSA-1

This was my understanding as well. However I still can not get a straight response from FN. To this day I am waiting for answers to my questions.
Link Posted: 3/24/2014 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not exactly accurate.

USSA-1
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Not exactly accurate.

USSA-1

The FNP was designed around NATO .45 ACP ammo specs ( whatever that was / is ) and while it worked as designed it is a HUGE oversight to design a gun (and magazine) as a military grade weapon and its incapable of firing some over the counter ammo available.
Since there is ample room in the grip frame to accommodate a modest OAL increase in cartridge length I would call it a screw up as well.

The unsupported chamber in the FNP has been responsible for more than a few kabooms and the FNX addressed this oversight as well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 7:53:23 AM EDT
[#10]
incapable of firing some over the counter ammo available.
View Quote

I would just add that it was only certain lot #'s from one specific type of ammunition.  I wouldn't characterize that as a "huge" oversight, but regardless, the new FNX is a solid design and it works extremely well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 10:11:45 AM EDT
[#11]
When a Hi Point .45 feeds and fires more ammo than the FNP its a problem.......

Even the FNX re-design had some magazine / slide stop geometry issues. Bottom line is issues in design or build.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnx/40383-fnx-45-tactical-mag-problems-follower-wear-spots-anybody-have-these-problems.html

Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:04:19 PM EDT
[#12]
The problem was only with the first run of FNP 45's. I have an early model that came out the second year that is flawless. Eats everything.

FNX 45

Steeper ramp on barrel with much more support. The real issue was not 45 Ball but hot rounds that were plus P. This was fixed within the first 6 months.

Modified magazines to accommodate the steeper angle of the feed ramp.

I can shoot hot as hell 45 in any of my FNX 45's and the case shows not even the slightest deform. Tighter than my 1911's and much tighter than any of my new Glock 21s
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:29:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The problem was only with the first run of FNP 45's. I have an early model that came out the second year that is flawless. Eats everything.

FNX 45

Steeper ramp on barrel with much more support. The real issue was not 45 Ball but hot rounds that were plus P. This was fixed within the first 6 months.

Modified magazines to accommodate the steeper angle of the feed ramp.

I can shoot hot as hell 45 in any of my FNX 45's and the case shows not even the slightest deform. Tighter than my 1911's and much tighter than any of my new Glock 21s
View Quote

Not accurate on the +P only problems because several failed from the unsupported chamber that is common on ALL FNP 45's.

Not mine~

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_2/375427_FNP_45_KABOOM_at_the_range__w__Pics.html

My personal gun and first hand experience~

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-fnp/28902-well-i-had-kaboom-my-new-fmp-45-a.html

The re-designed supported chamber on the FNX uses a different magazine because of the feed angle and per FN the parts are not listed as interchangeable.
If you have an FNP that works and you like it then great but the design had some shortcomings and issues.
Link Posted: 3/25/2014 8:41:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Between this and the other issues, I decided to postpone my FNX Tactical purchase. Maybe in a couple of more years, I'll change my mind.

Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top