Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Posted: 2/15/2012 1:09:45 PM EDT
Hi everyone,

So I was at the local shop today looking at a S&W M&P 9 when the FNS-9 caught my eye.  I'm looking to replace my Sig SP2009 with something a little lighter, and with a rail on it.  The NFS was almost exactly the same size, but increadibly lighter.  And it felt like it was custom molded to fit my hand.  Really liked it.  They also had a preowned FNX-40.  I'll admit I liked the FNX a little more (like the SA/DA and combo decocker/safety), but I also liked the FNS.  I was surprised the FNS new with night sights retailed for about the same price as a preowned FNX with 3 dot.  I'm not sure what the new MSRP is on the NFX, so maybe that's right, maybe it's high.

Anyways, I'd like to hear anyone's opinions who's owned / shot both the NFX and NFS.  And pro's vs. con's between the 2 (other than caliber difference which is fine with me)?  I'd really appreciate any feedback on these 2.  After ssing & holding the FN's, I thinkt he idea of getting the M&P went right out the window...

Thanks everyone!
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:43:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an FNX40 and like it very much. I did have a problem with it dropping magazines when it was fired, but FNH replaced the pistol and solved that problem.

I'm going to be in the minority on this board I'm sure, but I prefer DA/SA, and also like having a manual safety. I've owned XDs and Glocks, and shoot them fine. It's just what I prefer. I also shoot with either hand, so the ambi stuff is a big plus.

I can't comment on the FNS as I haven't shot one. I would say that either would be a good choice depending on your preference of striker or hammer.

Az
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 6:26:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have both an FNP-45 and FNS-9 both are great guns.  The FNS is just a little smaller then the FNX. I got it to replace my XD as FNs shoot better for me, some thing about the grip angle makes it point natural. I really like the manual safety over the XDs grip safety. Light weight shoots great and comes standard with night sights. Mine was $698 out the door. A comparable FNX-9 would have been $750ish. That and the smaller size is what sold me on it.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 3:56:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I picked up a FNX-9 this past Monday at my local shop NIB for $535 out the door.  I sold my Gen4 17 to get this gun and I LOVE IT!
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 12:21:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I love my FNX-9.  It's super accurate, reliable as all hell, easy to carry, easy to clean, and just feels good in my hands.  The trigger is heavenly.

I'm a 1911 shooter and wanted to try a polymer pistol- the FNX was perfect.
Link Posted: 2/20/2012 4:48:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Put me down for the FNX.  Mine has been 100% reliable and super accurate.  Great gun.
Link Posted: 2/21/2012 7:17:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Wow, thanks for all the input everyone... Still debating here, and not 100% sure which direction yet. Leaning towards the FNX, but the FNS just continues to call me as well....

May just have to go handle them at the shop some more...
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 1:35:03 AM EDT
[#7]
My FNX 40 is one of the nicest handguns I ever owned and fired..my home defense weapon now.

Link Posted: 2/26/2012 11:28:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I just fondled a FNX9 at the local fun store and man was it sweet.  It had a much better feel than my Glocks or my M&P 9.   It was the nickel slide version but they wanted $599.00 for it.  So I may have to look around but I absolutely want one!!!  
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 3:48:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks again everyone.  Ended up getting a very nice preowned FNX-9 off another member here this past weekend.  Haven't shot it yet, but guess where I'm gonna be 1st thing Saturday AM?      

Can not wait to shoot it after reading all the good stuff on it!
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 5:07:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Nevermind, found it. 17rd mags on the FX. I guess I need a 9mm to keep its .45acp brother company.................    
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#11]
From what I understand, the safety/decocker allows the FNX  to be carried hammer down with the safety either on or off, but also cocked and locked?
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
From what I understand, the safety/decocker allows the FNX  to be carried hammer down with the safety either on or off, but also cocked and locked?

Yes that's correct, you can carry it either way....
Link Posted: 3/22/2012 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes that's correct, you can carry it either way....

Thanks.
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top