Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » FN
Site Notices
Posted: 2/4/2012 12:30:17 PM EDT
I took delivery of my FNS 9mmtoday today. Handled it in the gunstore, dry fired two times and it went into the box. Got it home, racked the slide and got a dead trigger, racked the slide again or tried to rack it, the gun is locked up. I had to go to work, so here I sit with a locked up gun.

Going ]to try and get it unlocked and disassembled tonight. Will report back once I try.
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 1:07:30 PM EDT
[#1]
You did make sure the safety was off, right?

Az
Link Posted: 2/4/2012 10:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha, no the safety was not engaged.

I have traced the problem to only occur if I slam the a magazine home (empty thus far) it will lock up the gun. If I then remove the magazine, and pull the trigger it will unlock. At no other time could I repeat the sort of lock up without a magazine or by any other means. There is so much going on inside with all the transfer bars and such I'm not sure what the problem is or where it could be at.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The gun doesn't have a mag disconnect. But it sounds like it thinks it does. All information on the FN European website indicates NO mag safety. Weird.

Something is getting whacked out of place when slamming the mag home. Thats disconcerting.

Try some kind of marking powder or a colored grease, maybe if you have access to fluorescent light you can use something that glows under that light and see where its touching when slapped home.

Keep us informed, the FNS is on my list of guns to get.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I have been working the action all morning and its happening less and less, so that's good I guess. I am going to make a video of it happpening tonight.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:18:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the FNS-40 and have not experienced any of these issues.  It will fire without a magazine in the gun.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 12:40:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I would take it apart and give it a good cleaning and see if that doesn't fix it.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#7]
My brand new FNS9 does not have this issue...
Link Posted: 2/6/2012 10:29:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Broke the gun down this morning, oiled it down wet, and was still getting a lock up every 6th or 7th time I'd load a mag. Took it to the range and ran 110 rounds through it. Never had a problem ejecting rounds loading or unloading it (I would soundly insert each mag, then drop the mag, and eject the live round each time I loaded up to check)

Never had the issue show back up and it won't happen now that I'm back (just tried 10 times in a row) so whatever it was seems to have worked it self open or loose.

My palm is not in a good mood, the grip texture is really aggressive, all in all a good gun. Think my M&P may collect dust while I run more rounds down range.

Link Posted: 2/14/2012 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
My brand new FNS9 does not have this issue...

Well that was helpful
Link Posted: 2/14/2012 7:50:52 PM EDT
[#10]
My new FNS 9 dose not have the issues you speak of. My first 200 rnds were quite enjoyable, other then some issues with the cheep range ammo (under powered/sticky like their was candy in the bag). Over all accurate and functioned well even with the crap ammo. The 100 rnds of Remington UMC functioned without FTE which was the only issue with the under powered stuff. I did give the gun a good scrub to get what ever was on the ammo out.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 2:34:05 AM EDT
[#11]
I haven't had any more incidents with the gun locking up during dry fire practice the last two weeks. I'll be running the gun this Saturday in a class and I will report back.
Link Posted: 2/23/2012 4:53:04 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I haven't had any more incidents with the gun locking up during dry fire practice the last two weeks. I'll be running the gun this Saturday in a class and I will report back.

Very good to hear. Certainly a mystery...can't think of anything in particular that would cause what you experienced.
Link Posted: 5/8/2012 7:54:52 PM EDT
[#13]
My first 100 rounds of cci 115 FMJ -I had issues where the gun locked up. The bad news was I bought it for my wife–– after about a half hour of pulling the slide it finally released-I broke down the gun and noticed the rails on the frame were not wearing evenly-Addtionally once I cleaned the gun after the range that when I went to rack the slide the first quarter inch was tough. I did read the FN & H site where they suggested to lock back the pistol for several days-which I did  the process -but the end result is the gun is not smooth in cycling-any thoughts?
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 2:36:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Honsesly, I shot mine heavy for the first month I owned it, round count got to 1000 rounds quickly, I just greased the rails slip2000 Egan and ran it. I have yet to have a stopage on the gun during use. My expensive advice is to shoot it a few hundred more rounds and see how it is doing after that.
Link Posted: 5/9/2012 6:58:58 AM EDT
[#15]
Addtionally once I cleaned the gun after the range that when I went to rack the slide the first quarter inch was tough.

That is most likely from the tight barrel to slide fit.  The barrel is unlocking from the slide and you should feel a slight pop as it starts to unlock.  Lube up the pistol good and go shoot a few hundred rounds.  It should smooth out.

USSA-1
Link Posted: 5/10/2012 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Talked to FN today - they listened to my issues and said what I have experienced may not be normal and ship it back to them- An addtional issues was field stripping the gun- when I removed the slide the spring and slide guide were not seated in the pistol lug seat- they said that should not be happening-off for repairs and I will post my findings once I get it back-
Link Posted: 5/14/2012 6:58:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Okay some new results on the FNS-9 issues- I had read on the FNS member site to store the gun with the slide locked back for a week- I did this - and what a difference it made- I used some slip 2000 on the rails and shot 100 rounds of Ranger 147 gr ammo- this smooth out the action- addtionally locking the gun back for a week smoothed out the guide rod spring-

I did talk to the customer service and they were friendly and helpful with my issues-Thanks for the good customer communication FN-
Page Handguns » FN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top