Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:39:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: YaNi05] [#1]
Originally Posted By JesseJames:
And the $9.95 after tax Federal 550 value packs were the shit!

Now that they're $18 a box the quality seems to have dropped somewhat....go figure

I noticed that too. My Buckmark and GSG5 used to function very well with Fed bulk, so I bought a few thousand rounds more when my cache was running low. I've been getting a failure (failure to eject or double feed) or two every mag now. Both guns function flawlessly with CCI, so it is not a gun problem. The CCI seemed noticeably hotter with some amount of felt recoil. My vote is CCI when I want it to go bang. I don't think I've ever had a failure with CCI in a few thousand rounds of .22. It's just too expensive to use as blasting ammo.
Link Posted: 10/10/2011 12:49:10 PM EDT
[#2]
never had ANY misfires with the 40 year old eley match stuff. and we shot LOTS during my pistol marksmanship class. and it was accurate as heck.
Link Posted: 10/16/2011 7:34:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I just spent the last month or so trying to diagnose the failure to have the bolt lock back on my Ruger M III Comp.

Replaced the bolt stop, replaced mag followers, was getting ready to replace the bolt when someone on the Ruger forum suggested a velocity of 1,300 fps or higher.

That solved my problem immediately.

I had been using the Federal 550 bulks from Walmart. they were rated at 1,260 fps.  The Winchester 555 bulks are rated at 1,280 pfs.  Made all the difference in the world.

My M III does not like the Federal at all.  I'll be using my Federal up in my other non-semi .22's and only buying higher velocity ammo from now on.

Link Posted: 10/16/2011 8:44:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By dragonsden7373:

My 2 cents:

Eley is pretty good, also use a lot of Federal bulk.....CCI is awesome for those that can afford to shoot it on a regular basis. My uses don't justify using a lot of the higher price stuff....Federal is usually the one that makes my toys happy. If you want performance non-stop, I vote CCI. If you are on a budget, I've had real good results with the Federal's.

My sentiments exactly.
Link Posted: 10/17/2011 9:16:24 AM EDT
[#5]
CCI puts out good .22lr ammo!
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 9:42:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I've had feed problems with the standard CCI, but the Mini-Mag has been flawless for me in my 22A.  I'd be curioius to try to the Eley Tenex.

Can anyone suggest any inexpensive places (relatively speaking, I know) to buy either Eley Tenex or CCI Mini-Mag?
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 4:29:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PO2Hammer] [#7]
CCI has proven to be the best brand in my guns.

If I had to choose one ammo for reliability and accuracy in all my .22's it would have to be Mini Mags.

Some sub-sonic and standard V ammo like Wolf MT will fail to cycle my Mark II and CZ 75 Kadet conversion in very cold weather, but CCI SV keeps them running.

If we were talking rifles I would go with Velocitor. It's powerful and it's the most accurate load in my stock 10/22 and CZ Scout.

I could make do with Stingers if I had to. My Kadet loves them.

Blazer is nice and cheap and cycles all my guns reliably, accuracy is mediocre though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2012 8:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
For pistols I use Federal Bulk pack almost exclusively, unless wanting subsonic, in which case I use CCI SV, or am shooting groups seriously (rare) in which case I will run SK Std + (same as Wolf Match Target) through it.

For my suppressed 10/22, Remington subsonics group best aside from the SK/Wolf. I also shoot CCI SV through it, but try to stick with subsonic ammo 100%.

For the benchrest 10/22, SK Std + is the usual, but I sometimes shoot Lapua Center X.

In the PWS toggle action 10/22 style rifle, I am still testing, but the Gemtech 42gr subsonic is looking good. While I haven't had this one long, will probably shoot CCI SV out of it mostly, with the Gemtech or SK filling in occasionally.

The chamber in the Rhineland Arms R22 is so tight it will only run reliably with the Wolf/SK style lubed bullets (no wax). Unfortunately that lube doesn't work well in the cold. Fortunately I live in Texas....
Link Posted: 1/19/2012 10:12:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Stitches1974] [#9]
Mini Mags for me, though I want to try the M22 round when I get my M&P 15-22.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 10:58:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Im a CCI fan, for sure

Whenever I try going with another mfg or something out of a bulk-pack, I start running into problems
Link Posted: 3/7/2012 11:43:20 PM EDT
[#11]
growing up a few hours drive from Lewiston Idaho cci products have been in all the store shelves.  Blasting with blazers and hunting with mini-mags.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 8:50:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By gordonm1:
growing up a few hours drive from Lewiston Idaho cci products have been in all the store shelves.  Blasting with blazers and hunting with mini-mags.

Which are practically the same thing.
Link Posted: 5/31/2012 10:53:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ARCollector157] [#13]
I have a little more than 10,000 rounds of the CCI minimag, It is my favorite by far. Not fast for a 22lr, but it has always worked great in every 22lr I have used it in. Seems to be cleaner and more accurate than cheaper remington or federal. I still have a lot of federal bulk pack for plinking, but the cci stays stored away until I want to shoot for accuracy.
Link Posted: 6/2/2012 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#14]
I like Blazer for my 10/22 and MKII

Have shot thousands and thousands of Thunderbolts and I'll never buy it again once this last 500 is gone. It jams in my 10/22 all the time and leads out the barrel of my MKII way too fast. Like today, 60 rounds before it was leaded out and throwing key holes.

Always liked CCI Mini Mags too.
Link Posted: 9/28/2012 10:38:22 AM EDT
[#15]
CCI Mini Mag's have been reliable for me when other ammo doesn't function the gun (Failure-to-feed and stovepipe).
Link Posted: 10/31/2012 9:24:02 PM EDT
[#16]
CCI and Blazer have always been good to me. I like wolf though when i am focusing on group size and not just plinking. I try to avoid Remington bulk pack, seems to shoot poorly in all my rimfires.
Link Posted: 11/18/2012 2:01:05 PM EDT
[#17]
CCI makes very good ammo. But I have had great results with the Winchester 555 bulk packs. And it's cheaper too.
Link Posted: 11/21/2012 11:45:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I voted for CCI.
The mini-mag, AR Tac, and standard velocity are great.

Sure, for accuracy, I'd go TENEX or WOLF MATCH (whatever it's called)...I use them in my bolt gun.

Also, I think heavier solid point .22LRs penetrate a lot better than the stinger....out of 2-4" barrel, the stinger isn't that much faster than a CCI mini-mag, and the Stingers tend to open up/fragment fast.  I think a solid point, copper coated 40gr would have been better on the deer.  The .22LR really needs penetration more than anything on stuff bigger than rabbits IMO.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#19]
I picked up a box of Remington's "New and Improved" 225's and I noticed out of all the rounds that I picked out of the box, you can spin the lead easily inside of the casings. Is this normal? I couldn't do it with any of the Winchester and CCIs I have.
Haven't shot any and I was curious if it will have an effect on my Heritage .22 revolver.
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 1:27:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Federal Bulk or Winchester Super-X
Link Posted: 1/23/2013 1:35:56 AM EDT
[#21]
For hunting cci minimag. For plinking I try to get federal copper plated loads. The copper plated seems to help with keeping the barrel cleaner but 22 ammo is pretty dirty anyways compared to centerfire stuff. I have trouble with the bulk winchester not cycling in my tube fed marlin sometimes but I use it if nothing else is available. Speaking of availability...  Need to buy more 22LR but nobody has any that's not marked up to triple or quadruple pricing.
Link Posted: 2/9/2013 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By SGocka:
I usually use Federal Bulk pack but my rimfire ammo of choice is CCI MiniMags.

This is how I feel too.
Link Posted: 2/16/2013 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#23]
SK Pistol Match Special in my Pardini has been flawless for thousands of rounds and highly accurate.  CCI Pistol Match works good in my IZH-35M, which likes ammo with more sensitive priming.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 12:46:50 AM EDT
[#24]
What's Y'all opinion on Remington thunderbolt? I have a Jennings jam o matic semi auto
Link Posted: 3/7/2013 11:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I've found the CCI Mini-Mag to be the most reliable.   In contrast, I've had the worst performance from Peter's.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/9/2013 4:06:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Use CCI mini mag for my ruger and buck mark hand guns and henry golden boy .22LR and CCI maxi-mag for my .22 Henry mags. In A pinch will use federal bulk 525's but never never remington!
Link Posted: 4/29/2013 2:20:42 AM EDT
[#27]
CCI is by far the best IMO but i cant afford to go dump tons of it downrange, I use velocitors for small game hunting, and stingers for long range pistol silhouettes

I love the eley prime stuff and it has been reliable and accurate and that is my main stuff for punching paper.

I shoot a lot of aguila stuff that I buy in bulk and cant complain with it, there are man types as well.  Cycles my P22 and MK3 great and 10/22s eat it up also.  Not the cleanest but not the worst either.  I prefer it to the federal, super x, and remington bricks.
Link Posted: 5/7/2013 11:56:58 PM EDT
[#28]
My Savage MkII's seem to like the CCI SV and Wolf Target Extra or Extra Target which ever it called.

My Ruger 22/45 likes the CCI SV for accuracy and eats everything else with no issues.
Link Posted: 6/26/2013 1:11:36 AM EDT
[#29]
I had some misfires and failures to eject with a variety of ammo in my 22/45 yesterday while the kids were shooting it. May be limp wristing. I cleaned & lubed it and will try the minmags and fed bulk pack again.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 5:02:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Another shout out for Blazer bulk. It has been flawless even in firearms with an unreliable reputation.

Great stuff for the money.
Link Posted: 7/19/2013 7:02:09 AM EDT
[#31]
Have never had many problems with CCI or Federal.  Very infrequent stovepipe but that could very well be the shooter or the gun.
Link Posted: 10/21/2013 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#32]
How  about the Winchester M-22 used in pistols?
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:24:15 AM EDT
[#33]
For 25 yards  and in, Eley hands down for reliability and accuracy.  It is not that good going out to 50 yards and for 100 yards, forget it.

CCI  is one of the best for reliability overall.  It's not as tight as Eley.

Federal is excellent.

Thunderbolts are awful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 7:26:14 AM EDT
[#34]
For 25 yards  and in, Eley hands down for reliability and accuracy at shorter distances.  It is not that good going out to 50 yards and for 100 yards, forget it.

CCI  is one of the best for reliability overall.  It's not as tight as Eley.

Federal is excellent.  You get a few duds in a 500 round box.

I was surprised at Aguila but I've had no problems with duds.  

Surprisingly, Wolf is very accurate but I have only had a chance to shoot 50-100 rounds of it.

Thunderbolts are awful.
Link Posted: 12/4/2013 8:06:49 AM EDT
[#35]
My Ruger MKII will run anything I can find and put in it. Unfortunately, my wife's Ruger SR22 will only do CCI so far, doesn't seem to mater which CCI.  All I have found and tried so far have worked.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 9:27:17 PM EDT
[#36]
CCI ar tactical 40gr. is the best I have found
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:56:25 PM EDT
[#37]
Where can I get it?
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 1:57:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Ouch.  That stuff is like buying 9mm.
Link Posted: 8/15/2014 9:15:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I vote for any .22 ammo you can actually buy.  Still hard to find in my neck of the woods
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#40]
My take as far as reliability goes in semi automatics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnHauaNg2Kk
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 8:51:46 PM EDT
[#41]
CCI has always been the most dependable in my 10/22 and Mark I Target model.  Really, the only brand I've had trouble with was the Winchester 36gr HP I bought a couple of months ago from Cabela's.
Link Posted: 12/31/2014 3:44:05 AM EDT
[#42]
CCI Mini Mag HP - been hunting with them in a S$W revolver for many years.
Link Posted: 2/9/2015 12:52:41 AM EDT
[#43]
My Ruger Single Six prefers Federal Gold Medal (in terms of accuracy) but will, of course, digest anything I feed it.

My 10/22 shoots anything but does best with Federal Auto Match.

Got a bunch of pre-WWII Savage rimfires but never spend any time with them.

95% of my rimfire shooting is with Wolf Match Target through a Savage MkII FVT that I shoot Mini Palma matches with. I tried a lot of high-end match ammo in that rifle, but when I fed her Wolf Match Target, she sang the song of x-rings.
Link Posted: 3/9/2015 11:21:55 PM EDT
[#44]
If you want the very best, no contest. Eley Match. However, now that Remington took them over, I'm not sure that still stands.

PMC rimfire used to be the bomb. I don't think that's the case anymore.

Link Posted: 3/10/2015 6:07:08 AM EDT
[#45]
I've got a lot of old .22 ammo.  Most of it is Remington Thunderbolts and Golden Bullets.

In my Ruger Mk1 5.5" Thunderbolts were the most accurate/reliable ammo I ran through it.

If I were to dig it out now I'd also dig out a couple bricks of that old .22 ammo.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 11:22:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lanza] [#46]
My Walther PPK/S is pretty finicky.

The absolute best I have found so far for it is Aguila Interceptors.  Next best I have found is CCI Mini Mags.  

Finally was able to pick up a couple of brands today and try them out - 50 CCI Blazers (first shot was fteject, later on had a stovepipe; the other 48 were fine), and and 50 Remington Vipers w/ truncated cone (all 50 went perfect).  

I found the Remington Vipers the most accurate of those listed above.

Still waiting to try (find) CCI Stingers or Velocitors.
Link Posted: 4/5/2016 1:12:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Reviving this thread ... is this poll still accurate today?  CCI Mini-Mag and Federal bulk good to go?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 2:34:54 PM EDT
[#48]
So, yesterday after going through 100 of my favorite CCI standard V, I shoot a 50 box of Remington Golden Bullets. the groups cut in half at 15 yds. Could be because I just got up from a 10 minute sit? Either way. I have never had "high velocity" rated ammo shoot that well in my pistol. I will try some other high velocity ammo.
Link Posted: 8/22/2016 8:35:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Years ago I used to run a box of the Federal Auto Match through my Kimber .22 conversion almost every weekend.  Then something happened.  They wouldn't cycle reliably.  I bought boxes from different places, I cleaned the heck out of the pistol.

I bought a brick of CCI Blazers and they have cycled great.  Ever since, Blazers work, Auto Match doesn't.  All I can think of is that sometime in the 2012 timeframe something changed in the Auto Match line.  Been that way ever since.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 8:08:32 PM EDT
[#50]
One that isn't worth buying:  WW36HPHS in 333 round boxes.  Why:

Went to Cabela's.  Only decent price .22LR they had was WW36HSHP in 333 bulk box.  Made in USA.  6 cents each, $19.99 a box.

Now I see why.

My Glock AA converter is usually near perfect with CCI MiniMag, CCI Blazer, and older Remington 40HSRN.  It choked on every round.  Each round fired.  No round ejected.  Most stuck in the chamber from case brass swelling.  It took a small screwdriver in the extractor cut to get them out.  A finger nail broke.  Some cases came out part way and made a double feed.  

Oh, well, who knows.  Right?   Wrong.

I then tried my Ruger SR22P which has here to fore fired perfectly any .22LR, good or crap, I fed it.  

With the WW36HP, even it would short stroke, not eject, have cases stick, and go bang bang bang bang pop with the WW36HP.  Most cycled OK due to the SR22P not caring, but even one in 10 is a PITA.

Avoid the WW36HPHS 333 box stuff.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top