Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 10/21/2007 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Conventional knowledge is the Ruger.  I own two Mk II's and they are wonderful pistols.  You won't go wrong if you get one.

But, my personal experience is that the Brownings are more reliable.  My experience isn't a true study - I only own two, so take it for what it's worth.
Link Posted: 11/8/2007 9:04:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Hello
I have had The Ruger Mark I and Mark II but they don't fit me comfortable. I now have a S&W model 2206 Target Version that is a great Pistol for the Money. I paid $350.00 for this one and it groups tight and does not Jam. I have seen and fired the Model 41 but did not want to Pay a Grand for a .22 Pistol so bought this one and have no regrets other than they are hard to find used and S&W quit making them.. Regards, Hammerdown

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/hammerdown-7/2206LeftView.jpg
Link Posted: 11/10/2007 7:19:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 9:37:16 PM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By Hoppy:
I've been shooting my MKI for over thirty years now.  It works better now than when new and shoots a lot better than I can.

I have a vintage Ruger like that myself.  I still prefer the S&W 41 over it.  The Ruger is nice and accurate, but the 41 is even more so.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 9:52:07 PM EDT
[#5]

Originally Posted By tangeant:

Originally Posted By PBIR:
No love for the old High Standards?

Excellent guns but can be extremely magazine finicky.

I was waiting for someone to mention the  High Standard.  Awsome gun.
Link Posted: 11/14/2007 11:25:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: coyote3] [#6]
Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Shoots anything you feed it.... good stuff, bulk, sub-sonic, hollowpoints, doesn't matter! 10-shot stainless steel mags are cheap, ($9.95 @ CDNN) easy to load, and drop free. Take-down is a breeze.
6" Beretta U22 NEOS

What's not to like?
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 3:21:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Originally Posted By coyote3:
Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago. Shoots anything you feed it.... good stuff, bulk, sub-sonic, hollowpoints, doesn't matter! 10-shot stainless steel mags are cheap, ($9.95 @ CDNN) easy to load, and drop free. Take-down is a breeze. I might be throwing a red dot sight on it fairly soon.

6" Beretta U22 NEOS
photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=55554

What's not to like?

Didn't captain Kirk use one of those on Star Treck?
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#8]
In recent news, apparently the P22 is pretty accurate.

Link Posted: 11/22/2007 8:39:52 AM EDT
[#9]
The S&W is a different animal from the other pistols listed. IMO it is the most accurate of the lot, and the most expensive. The P22 can only be classified as a plinker, and is not in the same league as the Rugers or Buckmark. I voted for the Rugers, specifically the Mkll. Again, just my opinion.
a04039
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:07:36 PM EDT
[#10]
The Walther P22....I'm trying to get rid of mine. Safetys drop while firing, has a magazine disconnect, receiver screws loosen up and accuracy goes out the window, jams are the norm but here's the kicker: It ejects brass into your face. Not just your face, down your shirt, in your glasses, over your shoulder towards innocent onlookers...I don't want any more .22lr brands on my face thank you very much herr walther. This gun is a piece of junk, then again thats why it was priced for around $250. Now, its fun to plink with so long as you wear a motorcycle helmet. Then again, any .22 is fun to plink with. But if you want accuracy & quality, you gotta look elsewhere. The next bet imo would be the Ruger series of .22 pistols. I don't need to say anything about them, anyone who has fired one will vouch for their accuracy and consistant feeding. But if I may direct your attention to some of ruger's other offerings, It would seem they don't put too much emphasis on quality control, (i.e. Mini-14, Ranch Rifle, 10/22s) although they've built quality ones in the past, the recent productions just seem sloppy, actions seem rough. Now the only firearm manufacturer that has consistantly held a reputation for quality and happens to be of a legendary status is Browning. Not only does the buckmark cycle reliably and shoot accurately, it looks and feels as graceful as any product you would expect from Browning. Its also offered in a very wide variety of configurations, the entry model is somewhere around $300-350, and its well worth the $100 over the p22, or the pos22 as I call it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:16:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Powder_Burns] [#11]
As a side note, (1) the p22 manual recommends Hi-velocity .22 ammunition; it won't cycle well with the bulk remington golden bullet stuff. Think I'm just gonna melt mine.
(2)Its not any more accurate with the "compensated" 5in barrel versus the regular 3.4in. Last time I took mine to the range a girl with a browning outshot me at 2x the distance.
Link Posted: 12/18/2007 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Buckmark. I have several. This is my favorite:

Link Posted: 12/22/2007 2:13:09 AM EDT
[#13]
i have 4 smith+wesson 422/622 one hasa little work on it and i would put it up againt any 22 you got my 13yo son can hit a quarter in the air with it. we shoot shotgun shells @50feet althe time well we shoot the primers! i make barrel weights for them would post a pic of one but im toooo dumb
Link Posted: 12/29/2007 9:08:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I got one of those ruger single six revolvers.  its real nice. Id just like to find a nice holster for it.
 It would be nicer if it had some way to mount an in-expensive good reliable scope for it though.  I thought id use it as a squirrel gun, a bit loud for a 22 though.
Link Posted: 1/4/2008 6:22:52 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Ruger Mk 1 with the tapered barrel that I inherited from my father. Shoots good but is a little heavy for a holster carried .22 cal pistol. The discontinued Colt Huntsman/Woodsman is my idea of a good pistol. I have one of each. Again, if it was made now to the same standards, it would be as expensive as the S&W Mod 41. So you pays your money, and you takes your choice.

RS
Link Posted: 1/5/2008 6:28:37 PM EDT
[#16]

Originally Posted By cajunboy:
Buckmark. I have several. This is my favorite:

render1.snapfish.com/render2/is=Yup6aQQ%7C%3Dup6RKKt%3AxxWtUq4P0frj%3DQofrj7t%3DzrRfDUX%3AeQaQxg%3Dr%3F87KR6xqpxQQPJxJeex0Gnxv8uOc5xQQQoePQneaen0qpfVtB%3F*KUp7BHSHqqy7XH6gXPoJ%7CRup6lQQ%7C/of=50,590,442

This illustrates that the Buckmark might be the best if you eventually put a suppressor on it.  The barrel is separate.consumermaven.wordpress.com/2006/12/11/target-pistol-browning-buck-mark-22-with-gemtech-outback-ii-suppressor/  That barrel is long enough to probably put most .22 ammo super-sonic.  The general rule is to get the 5 in. barrel if you intend to shoot quietly.
Link Posted: 1/16/2008 12:41:46 AM EDT
[#17]
I'm a huge fan of the Buckmark. I bought the Camper stainless with the URX grips and the fiber optic front sight. It shoots like a dream, and the quality is outstanding.

I haven't shot the Ruger, so I can't make a comparison. I can't imagine that it would be any better than the Browning. My gun dealer can't get enough of them for his customers, and they are in very high demand.

Cheers,

-E
Link Posted: 1/21/2008 7:40:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Ruger Mk II eats everything I feed it. My Walther P22 is good now that I found which ammo it likes.
Link Posted: 2/11/2008 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Well I had two of the P22's got one it ran good for a wile then started jamming, thought it might be the gun so traded it on another one out of the box it was a total piece of crap, sold it the next week, was at the local gander mtn, they had beretta u22 neos on sale 189.00 i figured what the hell i'll give it a shoot. ran 200 cci stingers then switched to wally's bulk pack has been great 6,000 and counting. alsohave a buckmark love it.
Link Posted: 2/15/2008 9:41:36 AM EDT
[#20]
My vote clearly goes to this old piece:

Beretta M71
Link Posted: 2/24/2008 6:29:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: OdT] [#21]
Link Posted: 2/26/2008 3:32:09 PM EDT
[#22]
My all time favorite would be my High Standard Supermatic Trophy that I bought in 1978. Still have it and still shooting it even during the years when I shot bullseye matches and have had no failures yet.Still a good shooter.
Link Posted: 2/28/2008 10:42:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Glock with an AA kit
Link Posted: 3/10/2008 4:14:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BigFattyT] [#24]
I have been shooting my MarkI Ruger for 20 years or so. I bought it used back then. It has had so many rounds though it I would even hesitate to guess (usually I shoot an entire 500 round box through it every time I take it out). I would say it has had 100,000 rounds through it. Still going strong, and my favorite gun to shoot. I have never replaced a single thing on it (except for some rubber grips with a thumb rest). My Dad has one he bought used (manufactured in 1985). He finally managed to break a the extractor on it, Ruger sent him a new one to drop in free. (mine is a 7 1/2 inch target barrel, my father's is a 10 inch bull barrel mark II, My older brother has a 7 1/2 inch slap side stainless government mode he has been shooting for years also)

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa67/bigfattyt/IMG025.jpg
Sorry for the crappy pic, it is from my old camera, it is the only one I had on hand.
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 12:57:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Given the choices and respecting your poll, I chose the Ruger Mk I II III. Having owned a very nice MK II in the past with a 6.5 Bull Bbl, and many enhancements including a Volquartzen trigger and action job, among others, it was the most relaible, accurate, and dependable .22 lr pistol I'd owned until this came along:

My Beretta 87 Target. It was equally dependable and relaible, and once I modified the trigger to eliminate over travel, it became more accurate than my Ruger MK II.  I wish you'd have included the Beretta 87 in your poll.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v88/viper1357/Guns%20stuff/Beretta%2087%20trgt/ber87_1489.jpg
Link Posted: 3/19/2008 10:54:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Wyzardd] [#26]
Got confused, two "best .22 handgun" threads...

Same thing I said in the other - Ruger Mk I, 6 7/8" bbl.

Might lose a point because it chokes on a certain brand of ammo. Unfortunately I never remember which brand it is. One of the cheaper ones.
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 9:10:00 AM EDT
[#27]
How bout a Llama XV  After machining a new firing pin mine shot anything I fed it yesterday.  shot around 300 rounds threw it and had on FTE with the Fed bulk crap but it sounded like a weak round when it went off.  

Its about 1/2 the size f a full size 1911 and built the exact same way barrel bushing and all.  
Link Posted: 3/23/2008 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Why isn't the SW 22A in the poll. I have one with a fluted SS HB and I love it Accurate and reliable
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 2:10:15 AM EDT
[#29]
When I was younger I had a Ruger MkII. Always heard they were the perfect plinker. Oddly enough I had jam issues. Never got the fun I thought I would have from it either. Wasnt to bold back than and didnt try to fix the jam problem. Wish I had. Guess my only dislike was the looks. To many people like and brag on it as a great pistol for it not to be however. I just got a bad egg.

Wanting to find an Intratec-22. I already know that I will have to cut, bend, bang, and bump to get it reliable though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2008 7:34:47 PM EDT
[#30]
My votes are as follows:  Browning Medalist or, if budget doesn't allow, the Challenger (not Challenger II or III).  (I have never shot a Nomad.)  These made in Belgium pistols all posess great shootability due to fine sights and triggers.  I have three.

I am also partial to the Smith and Wesson Model 41 and 46.  I have a couple of the latter and again very good sights and triggers make these pistols that one can hit with consistently.

These 22 autos will far outshoot several Ruger Mark whatevers that I have.  I like the Woodsman, but I like the Belgium Challengers more.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 10:16:59 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm a fan of the Rugers, but lately I've been playing with my NAA Mini-Revolver (.22WMR).
Link Posted: 5/9/2008 10:44:35 PM EDT
[#32]
No love for the CZ Kadet?
Link Posted: 5/23/2008 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#33]
another vote for the ruger...
Link Posted: 6/1/2008 10:28:22 PM EDT
[#34]
What about the Sig Mosquito?
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:46 PM EDT
[#35]
recieved a Ruger standard model MkII 4.75in NRA endowment edition as a High School Grad gift. I love that gun
Link Posted: 6/8/2008 7:47:43 AM EDT
[#36]

Originally Posted By Glocker1986:
My Beretta Neos has been 100% reliable and very accurate.

+1
Plus, once my wife shot it, she wanted one of her own.
Link Posted: 6/16/2008 12:34:40 PM EDT
[#37]
height=8
Originally Posted By Jamul123:
I keep thinking I want to get a p22, but it just seems really hit and miss as far as reliablilty goes. What do you guys think is the most reliable semi .22 pistol? I'll do a poll if it's debatable. ETA: Poll added

The internet can make almost anything seem "hit or miss". They had problems with the first ones, but people that have purchased P-22s made since 04 don't seem to have all those issues. Mine was made in 04, and its been flawless.

height=8
Originally Posted By foxherb53:
Walther P22 ...I have about (near as I can tell) 5K through mine with narry a hitch.h
the only quirk mine has is when shooting bulk Federal lead ball ammo. Once it gets dirty, about 200 or 300 rounds, it wont strip the second round from the magazine. It DOES NOT jam, it just shuts on an empty chamber, and another rack of the slide feeds it like normal.

I suspect its dirty magazines from all the lead fouling, because it only does it on the second round, and only with that brand of ammo. no problems with anything else.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 10:16:53 PM EDT
[#38]
P22 vs Mosquito? Why hasn't the Sig Mosquito been mentioned? I am looking for a polymer .22 semi handgun and i'm down to the two.
Link Posted: 6/17/2008 10:21:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eddiein1984] [#39]

Originally Posted By jerz_subbie:
P22 vs Mosquito? Why hasn't the Sig Mosquito been mentioned? I am looking for a polymer .22 semi handgun and i'm down to the two.

They both have the same fundamental problem:  a zinc-alloy slide that will crack and/or chip after a few thousand rounds.  It is just a piss-poor material for firearms.

If you want a polymer .22, I think the only real choice is the 22/45.  If you get the 4" slabside model with fixed sights, it is nearly the same size as the Mosquito.  Less expensive yet vastly superior construction.  I can guarantee that you WILL NOT find a worn out Ruger MK pistol on any forum.  The tubular receiver/cylindrical bolt design just doesn't have a wear point.
Link Posted: 6/26/2008 9:14:28 PM EDT
[#40]
Another vote for the Beretta 87 target. Also own a S&W 2206. Both are wonderful .22 pistols.

Link Posted: 6/29/2008 2:53:42 AM EDT
[#41]
I shoot my S&W 41 better than any handgun I've ever shot.  It's my favorite handgun of all time.  Takes 5 minutes to field strip and clean too.  Feed it standard velocity ammo.

For the money, the Ruger 22/45 is a fine gun.  Lots of after-market parts to customize, but accurate right from the box.  Factory trigger is not great, but good enough.  Only downside to the Ruger is it's a pain to reassemble after field stripping.
Link Posted: 8/8/2008 6:58:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phoenix27] [#42]
I came close to buying my first Ruger 22/45 pistol the other day, but didn't like the thin grip and complicated take-down process. My local dealer also had a great deal on a used Mark III Target model in SS, but my hand didn't like the Luger-type grip angle. I bought my third Browning Buckmark instead, this one a Stainless Camper with an upgraded set of fiber optic sights...sweet! It's not that the Ruger is a bad gun, since many arfcom members voted it as their fav and they certainly sell a lot of them, but the Browning is a better fit for my chunky hands and I like the quick change magazine release better. To each his own. Right now, I can't afford to shoot my 9mm and 40-cal Glocks as much as I like, so it was time to re-embrace my 22s and add one to the collection!

Buckmarks Rule!!!
Link Posted: 8/11/2008 4:49:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Jamul123] [#43]
So it's been about a year since I started this thread and I've finally purchased my first browning buck mark. It's the only one I've seen that's completely nickel finished. My future plan is to have the barrel threaded, integral rail on top, burris fast fire, and a tactical innovations suppressor to top it off..

Link Posted: 8/17/2008 7:46:09 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 8/21/2008 2:20:40 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 2:18:12 AM EDT
[#46]

MK II
Link Posted: 9/6/2008 11:31:17 AM EDT
[#47]

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:00:21 PM EDT
[#48]
Ruger MKII

Link Posted: 9/17/2008 11:17:09 PM EDT
[#49]
BUCKMARK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/14/2008 3:52:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MilHouse-556] [#50]
I like my buckmark the best.

Pros:
$$$
Feels better in my hand vs. ruger
Can take trigger down to 2.5lbs with 5 minutes of work
Easy to take apart and clean
It's stupid how accurate this gun is even out of box
Mods galore

Cons:
Gold trigger(can be polished down to a gray finish BTW)

All 4 screws on the gun(2 on grips, 2 on sight base) are required to be tight for reliable operation but all 4 need locktite in order for them not to back out.

Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top