Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/27/2017 7:56:09 PM EDT
It now says "Aguila Prime" on the boxes.

I'm hoping that it's only that the Eley Prime patent has expired and Aguila doesn't want to pay to use the Eley trademark anymore but it's the same priming with the Aguila name; because I just bought 5,000 rounds of it from TargetSports.

Does anyone know more about the change?
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 10:47:44 AM EDT
[#1]
No idea.

What particular SKU did you buy?

I have been buying the Subsonic and standard velocity for the past 6 months from Academy sports both in store and online and have not been able to tell a difference. last purchase was about 2-3 weeks ago. Shot fine.
Link Posted: 6/1/2017 1:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No idea.

What particular SKU did you buy?

I have been buying the Subsonic and standard velocity for the past 6 months from Academy sports both in store and online and have not been able to tell a difference. last purchase was about 2-3 weeks ago. Shot fine.
View Quote
Thanks for that information.

I don't  know the SKU yet since I'm awaiting delivery of the 5k of 40 grain solid copper clad high velocity I just ordered from TargetSportsUSA.

They just sent me an e mail saying that it will take 2-3 more days before they even ship it.

In answer to a comment made on their site they say they're looking into why the Aguila .22 rimfire ammo they're receiving now says Aguila Prime and not Eley Prime anymore.

I'm guessing that the Eley Prime patent expired, but not the trademark but it's only a guess.

I'll report what I find out and how the ammo shoots as soon as I can shoot some of it.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:46:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Huge difference between the 2.

Been that way for years.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:12:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Huge difference between the 2.
http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t242/forrestr-photo/EleyPrimer2_zps501ab46b.jpg

Been that way for years.
View Quote
That picture, which has been making the rounds on the internet for quite some time, is meaningless for purposes of  this discussion. .
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 8:15:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

That picture, which has been making the rounds on the internet for quite some time, is meaningless for purposes of  this discussion. .
View Quote
Only because someone is saying something you don't want to hear.

That picture was from rimfire centeral where people had asked what the difference between the "eley" primed aguila ammo and their own priming. That picture shows the difference.

You asked about auila priming and the picture I posted shows just that. Starting in january of this year aguila went back to their own priming for all of their rimfire line. There are posts over on rimfire centeral about this very topic (1 of them started by me in january).

That's what the aguila priming looked like years ago and still does to this day.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 10:33:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Only because someone is saying something you don't want to hear.

That picture was from rimfire centeral where people had asked what the difference between the "eley" primed aguila ammo and their own priming. That picture shows the difference.

You asked about auila priming and the picture I posted shows just that. Starting in january of this year aguila went back to their own priming for all of their rimfire line. There are posts over on rimfire centeral about this very topic (1 of them started by me in january).

That's what the aguila priming looked like years ago and still does to this day.
View Quote
I've seen those pictures years ago.

You've got some  cutaway pictures of currently produced AGUILA ammunition that you've photographed yourself?

Then post them up, because I'm interested in actual experience with currently produced AGUILA not some regurgitated and undocumented  internet pictures from 6 years ago.

I was hoping for responses from folks who've actually shot a reasonable amount of the ammnition.

I'll post up my own experiences with it after I've had the opportunity to shoot some of it.
Link Posted: 6/3/2017 11:32:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I've seen those pictures years ago.

You've got some  cutaway pictures of currently produced AGUILA ammunition that you've photographed yourself?

Then post them up, because I'm interested in actual experience with currently produced AGUILA not some regurgitated and undocumented  internet pictures from 6 years ago.

I was hoping for responses from folks who've actually shot a reasonable amount of the ammnition.

I'll post up my own experiences with it after I've had the opportunity to shoot some of it.
View Quote
A link from rimfire centeral with a person asking the same question as you. He answers his own question in post #9 by cutting a current production aguila case open.
current agaula case cut open in post #9

Like I said, you don't like what someone is saying so you turn a blind eye to it

That link was posted on 5-07-17 with the guy cutting open the current production aguila primed case. If that ain't current enough for ya then go pound salt!!!
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 1:29:08 PM EDT
[#8]
I read that thread back in May and although it appears to bear out the notion that the ammunition is still good and nothing has been changed but the wording on the box, the reason I posted this thread here on ARFCOM was to ask if anyone here has had any actual experience shooting the newly marked Aguila.

If not, I'll shoot some and post the results here rather than go pound salt.

Thanks again for regurgitating what you've read on another forum.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 4:14:42 PM EDT
[#9]
I read Post #9 on the link.

And what I took away from it is that they are both pressed priming compounds.

Im just a plinker and small game hunter.

So can anyone tell me why one method is better than the other? Is one more accurate or more reliable.

From my back yard experiences the past 6 months the Agulia Subsonic has been pretty accurate and constant out of my 10/22s. My TD has a Leupold FX 4X and at 45-50 yards off a folding table I can do about 1.5-2" 10 shot groups thru my spectreII & MaskHD.  

Just got a new chronograph the other day, when I get a chance I will test some out.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a case come in last week a day or so before the start of this post. I can't say to the difference, but from now shooting a couple hundred rounds they are good to go. They even ran in my RIA 1911 .22 that has a hard time with ammo. They were the best so far and most reliable even though they are just SV. Kinda surprised and happy at the same time.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:49:57 PM EDT
[#11]
I received the ammunition on Tuesday but due to raining and road flooding I couldn't get to the range until today when I shot 250 rounds of it.

It was very accurate and perfectly reliable in my MKlll Hunter, as well as I believe, cleaner too.

The originally labeled 40 grain copper plated High Velocity Aguila Eley Prime  has been my preferred range ammunition and the newly labeled Aguila Prime appears to be just as good and cleaner too.

It smells different than the original stuff and seems to be less smokey, but that's just my observation and I could be wrong about that.

Well worth $250 / 5000 rounds, delivery included.

IMO, it's GTG.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 11:52:06 AM EDT
[#12]
Good to hear your happy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 3:41:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Good to hear your happy.
View Quote
My wife and I shot another 300 rounds of it yesterday and it certainly seems cleaner than the original stuff.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top