Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2017 8:16:34 PM EDT
looking at getting a 22 revolver to carry when fishing rivers, and plinking at some cans.

taurus is out

ive been doing alot of research on smiths 317, and came across on alot of lockups, stuck casings, etc. have they worked this out? how does the alum. frame and cylinder last?  i love the light weight of it. ive also read alot on the repairs smith does to them replacing cylinders and doing some machining to allow looser tolerances for the cylinder and frame mating, as well as barrel work
how are the 63's? i know they are heavier, but do they jam or lockup like the 317? again, the weight of the 317 has me by the balls, but the longevity of the gun concerns me as well as the "issues" but the posts of issues ive seen were dated from 2012 and older on smiths forum and RFC.  i like the stainless 63, but the weight is heavier than my mp 40c.

buying new, both 317 and 63 are offered in 3" "kit gun" models.

or should i wait until the ruger lcrx 22? but how can you buy a revolver thats not a smith?

id really love to have a 617 4" but putting that into my waders, and in the river, drawing and popping a snake would be difficult which is why a j frame would be ideal.

thanks
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm waiting on the Ruger.  

It's light and corrosion resistant.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger LCR
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:25:22 AM EDT
[#3]
I have both a 3” 317 and a 63. The 317 had a problem with the barrel face and it eroded the cylinder face with the gas jet. The factory eventually replaced the aluminum cylinder with a stainless cylinder. The gun picked up just under 4 oz. in weight, which made it better for me. The 317 is actually a bit more accurate than the 63, so if I were carrying a .22 in the woods, it would probably be the one.

I have a Ruger SP101 .22 and after a bit of internal smoothing, and a Wolff spring kit, it is very nice, but it weighs 30 oz, so it may be a bit heavy for a fishing companion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:35:40 AM EDT
[#4]
S&W 351 C

Or Ruger LCRX both in .22 WMR
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Ruger......end of discussion.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:55:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Expand your horizons a bit.

High Standard Sentinel.  Decent revolvers, generally reasonably priced.  OOP but not hard to find.

Charter Arms Pathfinder.  The older ones are nice guns for the money.  

I had a Ruger LCP two inch 22.  I was not happy with it.  The double action was stiff (common with all DA 22's) which made accuracy less than desirable.  If it had a single action option I probably would have kept it.

Ruger SP 101 can be found in 22 in both new and old versions.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:11:52 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a feeling the LCR X will be available in 22 Mag soon.  I got a neither confirm nor deny email from Ruger yesterday on if it was coming out.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I had a Ruger LCP two inch 22.  I was not happy with it.  The double action was stiff (common with all DA 22's) which made accuracy less than desirable.  If it had a single action option I probably would have kept it.
View Quote
Something is very seriously wrong with this posting.

Post a link or meaningful photo.

The LCP is not a revolver.   The  LCP is not available in 22 lr.

The LCR is a revolver available in 22 lr.    The LCRx is available in 22 lr AND is a traditional DA/SA revolver.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Ruger LCRX both in .22 WMR
View Quote

The LCRx is not available in 22 WMR... yet.   The LCR is available in 22WMR.

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:09:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Ruger Single Six?
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 8:31:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ruger Single Six?
View Quote
Maybe a bearcat. For me the single six is too big.
My list: short, light, corrosion resistant, 8-10rds. Decent sights,
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:26:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ruger Single Six?
Go to the Ruger  web site and check out the LCR and LCRx   .

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#13]
If you can live with a six-shot revolver, look for a pre-lock Smith & Wesson model 34; the original kit gun.

I got one with a fairly battered finish, but mechanically fine for $400.  It shoots great and I don't mind it banging around in the woods because the finish is already scratched up.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 6:06:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the replys and suggestions.

I may look more into the lcrx 22. Cheaper, almost as light and more for a beat up gun.

The more I read into the aluminum 317, I'm not crazy for it. If it had a titanium cylinder like the 340pd I'd buy one in a heart beat. That would keep it very light. The 63 seems like a heavy compromise.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:08:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I picked up 2 LCRs in .22lr, also got an Sp101.

I would like to try a GP100 but the LCRx looks interesting too.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 4:59:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The LCR is a revolver available in 22 lr.    The LCRx is available in 22 lr AND is a traditional DA/SA revolver.

View Quote

.....thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 9:07:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

.....thanks
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

.....thanks
Yea,

What about it?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 11:04:11 AM EDT
[#18]
I just picked up a Heritage Rough Rider for $106 OTD new at Gander Mtn.  Will fit the bill nicely. ;)
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 10:02:20 AM EDT
[#19]
So I've decided on the 617 4"

Going to look at some later this week

I read a lot of issues with the 317 and the 63. I've decided against the rugers due to lack of holding value and triggers. I'll a buy once cry once guy

Thanks again

I'd also like to send it in for smiths custom tube up they offer. But that will be after I buy it and shoot it
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 6:49:42 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So I've decided on the 617 4"

Going to look at some later this week

I read a lot of issues with the 317 and the 63. I've decided against the rugers due to lack of holding value and triggers. I'll a buy once cry once guy

Thanks again

I'd also like to send it in for smiths custom tube up they offer. But that will be after I buy it and shoot it
View Quote
I don't think you will regret that choice.  I have one and it is a blast to shoot.  I teamed it up with a Galco Combat Master holster that works pretty nicely with woods carry.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 11:13:19 AM EDT
[#21]
A 617 is a great choice a. It heavy but the k frame 22's are great guns. My go to 22's are a 60's era model 17 and 80's era 2" 34 kit gun. Both are very accurate. Some can have tight chambers ( a pain if you want to reload fast and blast a ton, great if you want the utmost accuracy) I use my 17 in bullseye competition and shoot one handed groups at 25 yards in the two inch range. My 34 runs sub one inch groups to 15 yards.
I imagine my 17 will be one of the guns the executor of my estate will be disbursing to a family member. One of the last guns I would ever part with. I personally prefer the lighter weight and balance of the older non lug barrels
Link Posted: 6/19/2017 5:01:20 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had a Model 63 for about 18 years now & have never read nor heard of any issues.

Someone please enlighten me.

OP: don't overlook the NAA models!
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 11:10:37 AM EDT
[#23]
Heritage rough rider is a great value.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 3:15:52 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Expand your horizons a bit.

High Standard Sentinel.  Decent revolvers, generally reasonably priced.  OOP but not hard to find.
View Quote
Crappy picture of mine....... great gun for the money.

The only smith 22 revolvers i have a lot of experience with are the old mdl 17's.
They were/ are outstanding pistols but people offered me what i equated to ridiculous money for mine so i parted ways with them.

Link Posted: 7/24/2017 10:22:00 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I have both a 3” 317 and a 63. The 317 had a problem with the barrel face and it eroded the cylinder face with the gas jet. The factory eventually replaced the aluminum cylinder with a stainless cylinder. The gun picked up just under 4 oz. in weight, which made it better for me. The 317 is actually a bit more accurate than the 63, so if I were carrying a .22 in the woods, it would probably be the one.

I have a Ruger SP101 .22 and after a bit of internal smoothing, and a Wolff spring kit, it is very nice, but it weighs 30 oz, so it may be a bit heavy for a fishing companion.
View Quote

I've have got those three also, you are spot on. I would go with the 317.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:45:55 PM EDT
[#26]
I'd go with a .38/.357 J-Frame and use shot shells or even better a Charter Arms Bulldog in .44 with shot shells and forget about wimpy .22's around snakes.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#27]
I am a S&W snob thru and thru .

I love the 617 but doesn't sound like it fits the OPs want of a light gun.

Years ago I owned a 63 (kit gun) and found it difficult to shoot well . I remember the sights being small , grip was tiny and it just seemed too light . I guess the trigger wasn't all that great also.

I have handled the 317 but never got a chance to shoot one.

A guy in my club showed up with the Ruger LCR and I shot it more or less alongside my S&W 617 4" . We were practising for a rimfire plate shoot so we were shooting both pistols double action only (which is all that you can do with the Ruger)

This gun was pretty light , Had a nice mid sized grip,good sights and a trigger very much the equal of my S&W 617.
Not a super light trigger but pretty good and very smooth and consistent . I was very impressed with it . I really am no fan of any other of the Ruger double action revolvers but the LCR was very nice.

Some of the posters here mentioned the single action Ruger revolvers. They can be usefull for a woods gun but they are god awfull to unload and reload . they also are chunky little things , not real heavy but not lightweight by any count.

I have seen and handeled the heritidge rough rider and while they are cheap they don't impress me as any kind of value even at that low price
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#28]
O
D three screw Ruger single six here
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:18:18 PM EDT
[#29]
I have a Ruger Single Six New Model that belonged to my Grandpa originally. He bought it as a walk around range gun mainly for snake threats. Its a very nice well made gun and shoots very accurately. This is an older Ruger bought in the mid 70s but I would hope quality would be similar today. I enjoy shooting it but it mostly sits in my safe due to the personal value to me and revolvers never peaked my interest.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:27:12 AM EDT
[#30]
The 317 gets a bad rep. because of Operator Error. It's all about what application you have in mind. If you are looking for a range plinker to send a bulk pack of ammo, absolutely do not get a 317. However if you are looking for a kit gun and/or a gun to take to the range and fire a few loaded cylinders, the 317 is an amazing option. It's 11oz, what other .22 meets that standard? They start choking after around 40 rounds in a short window due to a combination of the heat and filthy .22 round. There's no such thing as a free lunch. In the end, it comes down to what you going to use it for
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 12:43:35 AM EDT
[#31]
S&W 34 or 34-1.

They can still be found for reasonable prices and are an excellent ''kit'' gun. I have $500 into two of then, one has a worn finish, the other is pretty much close to new. They aren't a model 18, but are nicer as a ''woods'' carry revolver due to their smaller frame. There isn't anywhere near the demand for them as there is with the model 17 or 18.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 1:22:56 AM EDT
[#32]
OP is looking for lightweight gun to hike with and worries about how heavy the 63 is

So he buys one of the heaviest 22's available

I sold a bunch of 317's and didn't seem to see a lot of problems. 22 revolvers are always going to be worse off than centerfire guns just like the autos. Just a fact of life. I always told people to find a ammo they like and stick with it. Trigger jobs on the Smith J frames can be weird enough the rimfire guns should probably just be left alone. Saw quite a few have light strikes after a trigger job.

You will never wear out a 317. That aluminum will be just fine. On the extremely rare chance you did Smith would fix it so who cares. 63 is a cool gun too but it's pretty damn hard to beat the lightweight guns. The 3" is the one to get for sure. Sights are much better and it's easier to shoot in general.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:16:56 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
OP is looking for lightweight gun to hike with and worries about how heavy the 63 is

I sold a bunch of 317's and didn't seem to see a lot of problems. 22 revolvers are always going to be worse off than centerfire guns just like the autos. Just a fact of life. I always told people to find a ammo they like and stick with it. Trigger jobs on the Smith J frames can be weird enough the rimfire guns should probably just be left alone. Saw quite a few have light strikes after a trigger job.

You will never wear out a 317. That aluminum will be just fine. On the extremely rare chance you did Smith would fix it so who cares. 63 is a cool gun too but it's pretty damn hard to beat the lightweight guns. The 3" is the one to get for sure. Sights are much better and it's easier to shoot in general.
View Quote
Agreed. They do lock up though after around 40 rounds in a short time but just let it cool and wipe it with some lube and good to go. I love the one we have. It's the snubby and still makes great hits. It's like 10oz and some change. The 3" is 11oz. Crazy light. Awesome to carry for a walk or throw in a pack

Also people who mess with the trigger on these cause LPS because of how light the gun is. Keep that stock
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:37:11 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not 100% true but since I was dropping decent coin on a 22 revolver I wanted something I can still be accurate and have fun at the range. The 4" is just that. I did hold the 63 and the 317. And I left with the 617 because how the grip fit my hands. I bought a triple k holster for it and yea I notice it's on my hip a little more that I would a j frame but it's a dual purpose gun and it won't hinder me in the woods plinking at squirrels and snakes while fishing. Here in ct, we have strict laws for carrying in state forests and rimfire 22 is the largest caliber legally you can carry only in state forests, and some with argue you saying that you cannot carry at all, but where I go, and the part of state I'm in, the game wardens won't bother you especially since it's not a semi 9,40,45 etc or a 357 revolver and it's loaded with shot shells. And during squirrel season, you can carry it with a hunting license. So I'm not worried.  Your not carrying for personal conflict but for rattlers and other various snakes and shit, they'll probably fondle it and say nice gun. Still, ct blows but whatever

It is a sweet gun, fun too shoot at the range and not bad to carry around. Best of both worlds I'd say. I did take 600+ grit sandpaper to the pivot pins and the internals to debur and put in a 13# rebound spring. Night and day difference.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 9:46:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:39:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Ruger Single Six?
View Quote
I have a Bearcat with the birdhead grip on the way.  It is a little more compact and you can get it in blue or stainless.  Looks like this would make a real nice gun for your backpack or tacklebox.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:54:51 PM EDT
[#37]
The Ruger LCRx in 22LR sounds like exactly what you’re looking for.

My wife has one in 38Special and loves it.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree with this guy.

I've had several 317s, (1 snub and 2 3" barrel ones) and wish I had kept one of the 3" ones.
I never had one jam up after 40 rounds and I prefer to shoot the cheapest ammo I can find.

Currently have a 63-5 and a 43c (both are S&W).
Awesome guns.

Starting to think I need more .22s.  

ETA:
It cracks me up when people complain about a J frame grip being too small or not fitting them well.

The grip can be easily changed!
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#39]
Just saw ruger has the lcrx in a 3in 22mag.

6shot. 18oz unloaded.  

This may be the "perfect" kit gun
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:29:43 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I agree with this guy.

I've had several 317s, (1 snub and 2 3" barrel ones) and wish I had kept one of the 3" ones.
I never had one jam up after 40 rounds and I prefer to shoot the cheapest ammo I can find.

Currently have a 63-5 and a 43c (both are S&W).
Awesome guns.

Starting to think I need more .22s.  

ETA:
It cracks me up when people complain about a J frame grip being too small or not fitting them well.

The grip can be easily changed!
View Quote
the 617 4" balanced better, in my hands as well as it just "fit" better, is that a better answer for you?
617 isnt bad at all on my hip. i carried it all day, from 6am-4pm with my shotgun, bird hunting in maine not long ago. only time i noticed it was there was when i had to climb over a stone wall or a branch went between my leg and the holster while going through thick woods.

i did put a lighter rebound spring in it, what a difference.
Link Posted: 11/13/2017 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Also look at some of the older H&R .22s, they can usually be found at shows in good or better condition for around $200. I'm also a fan of the high standard Sentinel.  Great for walking around with a light weight cast aluminum frame and pretty accurate.
View Quote
I love my 617 but it's a boat anchor.  I just picked up a H&R 649 6 shot revolver.  It comes with both 22lr and 22 WMR cylinders.  It looks similar to a Ruger Single Six however it is Double Action.  
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:12:01 PM EDT
[#42]
Oh no!  Necropost!

My only complaints with my S&W 317 & 63 are they aren’t self-cleaning. Hundreds of rounds without a stuck case or issue.
Link Posted: 1/1/2018 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#43]
All y'all are barkin' up the wrong tree.  Look for a Colt.  Either an Officer's Model Match or a Police Positive Target.  The PPT I have was $600.  Made in 1912 and quite possibly the most accurate 22 revolver I've ever had.  You might also try a pre-WWII S&W...either a 22/32 target or a K-22 Masterpiece...'bout the same price.  Don't let cosmetic wear put you off.... many times there's bluing wear on a revolver that's been shot little, which diminishes it's collector value, but has no effect on accuracy.

My $0.02 worth.
Link Posted: 3/6/2018 1:51:47 PM EDT
[#44]
Heritage Rough Rider.....check out reviews on YouTube. Best bang for the buck......22 cal. only version available for $125 if you look hard enough. Don't know how they can build it for anywhere near this selling price!
If you drop a Rough Rider in the drink, you won't cry as much as you would with a Colt, Smith or Ruger!
Link Posted: 3/11/2018 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#45]
I would recommend against a .22 magnum unless it also comes with a .22 LR cylinder.

That ammo is too expensive and almost unobtainable at times.

I'm a S&W snob as well, I feel their revolvers are head and shoulders better than anything else on the market. They also hold their value if you take good care of them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top