Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2017 10:15:23 PM EDT
Hey Guys,

Today I picked up my first suppressor-a Sparrow SS. I then went out and bought a new Mk IV 22/45 lite as I needed a host for the can,

I got home and attached the suppressor to the mk iv. The manual said to simply attach the suppressor hand tight, which I did. I simply screwed it on until it wouldn't move any farther. I did not use any excessive force at all.

I then proceeded to put about 10 rounds or so through the firearm, during which everything seemed to function normally. I then tried to unscrew the sparrow from the mk iv, which is when I started having issues. The suppressor seemed to be stuck and would not budge.

After looking online, I found a few sites that suggested I use a strap wrench to break the suppressor loose, so that is what I attempted to do. I didn't use a crazy amount of excessive force, I just put the strap wrench on and twisted a bit at which point the suppressor broke loose. Great I thought, I finally fixed that issue

Well, much to my dismay, the freaking barrel nut came off still attached to the Sparrow! I can't for the life of me get the nut removed from the suppressor.

So, now I have the following questions:

1. How did I mess this up in the first place? I literally hand tightened the suppressor to the mk iv using no excessive force and put 10 rounds through it. That was all.

2. The mk iv came with a sheet of paper with this big warning about never removing the barrel nut, and how it would permanently damage the gun and not be honored under warranty. Am I screwed? Did I somehow manage to break my mk iv after 10 rounds with a strap wrench?

3. What are my next steps for trying to remove the barrel nut from the suppressor? I tried a strap wrench and it just doesn't seem to budge at all.

4. Assuming I can get the barrel nut removed, do I have to send the gun back to Ruger to repair it? Is it permanently broke? Can I just thread it back on?

Thanks for the help, let me know if there's any additional information I need to provide. This is a real WTF situation for me-this is my first suppressor, but I can't believe that between hand tightening and 10 rounds I managed to cause this much of a mess.

Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:24:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Have to admit I don't know what you mean by the barrel nut. My can threads directly onto the threaded barrel of my Ruger. Got a picture of what you mean?
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:35:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah...if you look at your pistol (well, if the mk iv's are the same), the part that it threads directly onto is actually threads secured into a nut, which then threads on to the barrel itself.

Right now, I can't replace the protective cap as it won't actually fit/thread back on due to the barrel nut being absent.

Links to the warning and barrel missing the nut are below

I feel like a freaking moron for managing to do this lol

http://imgur.com/a/eNxB1

http://imgur.com/a/W53DT
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:43:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Pics. We need pics. They are worth 1000 words. 

Ok. If you only hand tightened it and it came off can you tell if they used the epoxy they said it is seated with?  
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:51:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Like the suppressor part?

Edit. Doesn't sound like the same thing.
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:55:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, the barrel nut is stuck to the suppressor.

It doesn't look to me like there is/was any epoxy on the threads, at least not that I can see.

The pictures are in the links that I posted above, I just can't hot link them directly in the thread for now. Stupid imgur host...

Link Posted: 4/8/2017 10:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Never knew that was a thing. Sorry man I don't have any good ideas
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:01:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Yeah...that's what I was afraid of :/

I have the worst luck with stuff lol
Link Posted: 4/8/2017 11:07:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a pick of your suppressor with the nut on it. 
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 12:37:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Here's a picture of the suppressor with the barrel nut stuck on

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:00:47 AM EDT
[#10]
It is not unheard-of for barrel nuts to come loose on 22/45 Lites.

Get the nut off the suppressor then send the gun back to Ruger.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:28:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It is not unheard-of for barrel nuts to come loose on 22/45 Lites.

Get the nut off the suppressor then send the gun back to Ruger.
View Quote
I'm surprised that that would happen with a brand new pistol, but thanks for the info. Did I mess something up? Was I supposed to use some kind of a spacer or something? It seemed to thread on and off with no issues until I put those 10 rounds through it.

I'm having a heck of a time getting the barrel nut off of the suppressor. I'd welcome any suggestions.

The warning about the barrel nut stating that if it was removed the warranty would not be honored worries me. Hoping if I call and explain the situation and what happened that they will still take it in for repair, especially since it's so new.

Is there some way to prevent this in the future, or is this more likely a case of a factory defect?
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 1:48:30 AM EDT
[#12]
I had one come loose the same way on a Mk 3.

I removed any threadlocker on it, cleaned everything with acetone, then reinstalled it with Rocksett.    I didn't have a proper spanner type wrench handy so I just used a punch and some careful taps to tighten it up.

2 bricks later, it's still on there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 7:45:35 AM EDT
[#13]
And there's another reason I don't like the Lite models. Hope you get it sorted out, OP.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 10:04:50 AM EDT
[#14]
Just bought one of these yesterday and noticed that same warning. I was thinking to myself if it is under no condition to be removed, it would seem pinning it in would have been the way to go? I would call up Ruger and ask them for advice. Maybe there is no actual damage done if there wasn't any epoxy/thread locker etc. Also maybe if there wasn't and there is supposed to be, (there is) then it's a fault on their end.

I know a gunsmith down the road with a mill... I may have him pin that nut on mine now...just encase. Keep this thread updated please, I'd like to see the outcome.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:03:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just bought one of these yesterday and noticed that same warning. I was thinking to myself if it is under no condition to be removed, it would seem pinning it in would have been the way to go? I would call up Ruger and ask them for advice. Maybe there is no actual damage done if there wasn't any epoxy/thread locker etc. Also maybe if there wasn't and there is supposed to be, (there is) then it's a fault on their end.

I know a gunsmith down the road with a mill... I may have him pin that nut on mine now...just encase. Keep this thread updated please, I'd like to see the outcome.
View Quote

Yes please.  I've been very interested in getting a Mk lV 22/45 Liteweight lately.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 11:45:12 AM EDT
[#16]
Will do, I'm also interested to see the outcome.

I need to figure out how to get the nut off of the suppressor...may end up visiting a gunsmith today if I still don't have any luck with getting that nut off.

I do want to verify that there was no user error on my end to prevent this from happening again-the sparrow should just be able to be threaded on directly, correct?

Thanks for all of the advice. I too am surprised that something that is apparently so critical wasn't pinned. Seems like the logical choice, especially if this has been known to happen before.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:23:01 PM EDT
[#17]
IF you have someone else, anyone else, including a gunsmith mess with that can you have a few issues.

1)   They have to understand how the Sparrow comes apart.   Why?   They should not put torque one the suppressor nut at the end (next to the barrel nut) while attempting to hold the suppressor in place.   It will only make the situation worse.

2)   No one other than to whom the form 4 is registered or manufacture can possess your Sparrow.      A general gun smith should not be keeping your can or machine gun without you present.    These are the joys of the NFA.

If you can't get the barrel nut off, you may have to send the suppressor to SilencerCo. and then the gun and barrel nut to Ruger.

My suggestions.

1)  Make certain you fully understand the construction of your suppressor.   Read your manual.   If you have already taken the suppressor apart and to clean and lube it before use, you should be fine.

2)  The suppressor nut is probably jammed up against the barrel nut.   That would prevent the barrel nut from being removed.     Get the suppressor nut  (NOT THE BARREL NUT) as tight as possible against the suppressor.   That suppressor nut holds the outter body over the two clam shell halves and the outter body against the muzzle end of the suppressor.   I use a Silencerco wrench. If not a Silencerco wrench, find some type of wrench that fits.   Some armor wrenches will fit it.   At some point in ownership, you will have to use wrench to keep that suppressor nut tight an to get it loose.   You might as well fine something that fits now.  The inner body of the suppressor is one piece from the muzzle to the threads.

3)   There may not be any damage to your gun.   If Ruger screwed up and did not epoxy the barrel nut, it is probably fine.  That is likely the case,   IF they used epoxy, one would have to use enough force to likely damage something with the gun.   AFTER you get the barrel nut off, you PROBABLY could get a spanner wrench to tighten the barrel nut back into place after applying some RockSet to the barrel threads and internal barrel nut threads.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 4:44:18 PM EDT
[#18]
For shits and giggles, I just replicated getting a Silencerco Sparrow stuck on a barrel.  

I started by only hand tightening the suppressor nut onto the suppressor.   I then installed the the suppressor onto the barrel threads of my Browning Buckmark.   I then backed off the suppressor nut snugly against the barrel face.   That locked it all up.   Nothing would move.   I took a wrench and tightened the suppressor nut firmly against the suppressor.   The suppressor spun off relatively easily then.

There has to be gap between the suppressor nut and the barrel (or in your case, the barrel nut).

Note the slight gap seen below in the example of a 10/22 and a Sparrow.

Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:14:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info, that explanation makes sense and I bet that's what happened-the suppressor nut backed up against the barrel.

I was thinking about the possession issues with a gunsmith as well. I'm hoping that I can bring it back to the FFL that I purchased it from, and that he can get the nut off in short order while I am present. Right now it's pretty well stuck on an I can't get either nut to budge.

If not I'll have to get a silencerco wrench and try going that route, but it doesn't look to me like there's too much play left for the suppressor nut to be able to move. Here's a better picture

best online image hosting
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:26:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Ok, so...

I called Ruger and got a return shipping label sent to me. I typed up exactly what happened and included it in the box. I am hoping Ruger will honor the warranty.

As for the suppressor, I took it to the FFL that I purchased it from. He spent a good 45-60 minutes looking at it and trying heat from a blowtorch, a strap wrench, etc and the barre; nut wouldn't budge. So, I called silencerco and they created a RMA for me. They said they will most likely have to cut the barrel nut off. So, I have to send in the suppressor to them as well now.

What a mess lol. I'll keep this thread updated as to the RMA progress with both the MK IV and the Sparrow.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
That is absolutely within my range of expectations.     However, here is to hoping SilencerCo makes an effort to try alternative means, since you are sending in the barrel nut with the gun to Ruger because of the situation.

I would mention that in your email that you print off and send in with the suppressor.  

Link Posted: 4/14/2017 6:10:26 PM EDT
[#23]
I actually sent the mk iv to Ruger without the barrel nut.

With both the suppressor and the mk iv, I included a description of what happened and the fact that it looked like there was no epoxy on the barrel nut.

I'm hoping that everything turns out OK. The suppressor was delivered to silencerco yesterday, and the mk iv was shipped out on Tuesday.  I put a note in both boxes to call and email me if there were any questions or issues with the repair work

Now I wait and see.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#24]
I wonder if they may have to try to "split" the nut. I have done this when one is stripped and seized. Use a rotary tool and cut off wheel to cut a slit almost through, but not. Then take a chisel and hammer and force it to crack / break at the cut. Normally can remove it pretty easy then. Once had to do it to both sides though to get a nut that wasn't ment to be removed off an air rifle barrel. Doesn't damage the threads.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:31:37 AM EDT
[#25]
OST
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 1:05:35 PM EDT
[#26]
Does this ever happen with Pac-lite barrels?
Link Posted: 4/22/2017 5:19:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Any additional update?
Link Posted: 4/29/2017 10:09:04 PM EDT
[#28]
^ This, bump for update.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 9:13:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Update.

Ruger fixed the mk iv and replaced the barrel nut.

Silencerco somehow got the nut off the sparrow in one piece.

Haven't had a chance to go to the range.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:50:30 AM EDT
[#30]
All's well that ends well. Glad to hear that Ruger took care of you.

Just bought a MK IV Tactical which is the only MK IV with a steel threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 10:39:02 PM EDT
[#31]
One four letter word comes to mind.

LUBE

Try some silicone such as DOT 5 brake fluid.  Put a liberal amount on the mono core of the Sparrow and on the threads of the MK IV's barrel nut before attaching the can.

Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:32:39 PM EDT
[#32]
I had no doubt that Ruger would come through for you, but thanks for the update which reinforces my belief that the company stands behind its stuff.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top