Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/11/2017 9:14:44 PM EDT
I know the MKIV 22/45 is new and people are still feeling their way around them.   However, it is already clear the triggers suck and require work.      My understanding is that it takes parts, not with the gun, to get it right.  

With a new  Buckmark, you pull it out of the box, take off the top rail and remove the slide, flip the sear spring, remove the grips and pull the connector bar off  the mag safety, clean the gun, and reassemble to enjoy a nice 2-2.5 lb trigger.    

For a MKIV 22/45, before any purchase,  I want to figure in the price of getting the trigger right and knowing all of the parts to get it right before buying a new MKIV 22/45.    

Price on a MKIV 22/45 Lite with a treaded barrel seems to be about $450.    I'll have to add the cost of fixing the trigger.

Other than the trigger, they really do seem like a great gun.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:31:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I just bought a MK4 22/45 lite and I can tell you the trigger is not bad at all.  It is a little heavy but no creep or over travel.  Not the mushy trigger of the MK II I had reworked.  The gun is remarkably accurate and a pleasure to shoot.  Unless I was using it for a bullseye competition, I would leave the trigger stock.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 11:37:51 PM EDT
[#2]
It'll need the trigger work to satisfy me.

What are the parts and cost?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:22:45 AM EDT
[#3]
A good fix for a Ruger MK series trigger is to...get a Browning Buckmark.

Seriously..I had always thought Ruger 22's were the tits until I got a Buckmark UDX plus.. Not only was it less expensive than my MKIII hunter, but it looks nicer and has what is probably the best trigger on a production level 22 i've ever experienced.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 4:49:47 AM EDT
[#4]
You need to replace the sear or you can get a whole accurizing kit which will really make a great gun. Volquartsen makes the sear and kit. I Rimfire Sports don't stock it yet then Volquartsen will have it. Rimfire will be cheaper plus have free shipping.

http://www.rimfiresports.com/merchant.mv?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=RSC&Category_Code=VC2
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
1. Get rid of the magazine disconnect. That really means replacing the hammer. Use either a Mark II hammer, a Mark III hammer with Tandemkross bushing, or a Volquartsen speed hammer.

2. Replace the stock sear with a Volquartsen target sear. The one they make for the Mark II or III is fine. A precisely-honed sear is critical to the trigger pull.

3. The stock trigger has a nub on the back that engages a notch on the magazine as the trigger is pulled (presumably to help seat the magazine if it hasn't been inserted all the way). This is an innovation in the Mark IV, is unnecessary, and adds to the weight of the trigger pull. Replace the trigger. I prefer the Clark steel trigger, or you can use a Volquartsen trigger. The inside front corners of the trigger opening in the frame may need to be squared off with a needle file in order to get a replacement trigger to fit.

BTW, these suggestions apply to the standard Mark IV Target or Hunter model. I imagine they also apply to the 22/45, but I am not 100% sure of the differences, if any.
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 11:18:43 AM EDT
[#6]
1)  What would be the expected/anticipated cost (range) for the fire control group upgrades described herein?

2)  What would be the resultant trigger pull weight (range)?
Link Posted: 3/17/2017 5:32:12 PM EDT
[#7]
The Volquartsen accurizing kit (which includes their trigger, hammer, and sear) lists for $105 on their web site. You might be able to find it for less elsewhere.

The Volquartsen sear, by itself, is $28.50. The Clark trigger is $30 plus postage directly from Clark Custom Guns. There's a Mark II hammer (and sear) right now on ebay for $20.

With the recommended changes, the trigger pull should be reduced to 2.5 - 3 pounds, from the 5+ pounds out of the box.

Figure on spending an extra $100, more or less, to make this a decent shooting gun. Of course, if you add custom grips, sights, etc., the cost goes up from there.
Link Posted: 3/20/2017 4:38:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Head over to rim fire central for tips on tuning up the Rugers.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 9:33:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I ordered the volquartsen trigger kit. Will this eliminate the mag disconnect? If not, is there a fix for that yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top