Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2017 5:30:15 PM EDT
"Best" meaning closest to 1000 FPS with the heaviest, best bullet. Anyone chronograph a velocitor out of a pistol? Or a segmented subsonic?
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:39:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Pretty much anything marked standard velocity ( cci standard is listed at 1070 but that is out of a rifle barrel I think. Stay away from cheap bulk ammo ( none of which is standard velocity) any of the high end euro ammo like eley sk or lapua is good too but expensive. I sort of laugh a bit as in the past lots of shooters were playing the need for speed game and looking for the hottest fastest ammo
They could find. Now people are looking at "subsonic" and suppressor ammo which is nothing but the previously marketed standard velocity target ammo most of the action/ need for speed shooters were not buying years ago.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 5:50:47 PM EDT
[#2]
230 grain .45 is subsonic and meets your description
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:43:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Winchester M-22 Subsonic Ammo is rated as 45 gr at 1090 fps.  

http://www.winchester.com/library/news/Pages/new-winchester-m-22-subsonic.aspx

The M-22 is designed specifically to function in semi-automatic firearms, while remaining subsonic from both pistol and rifle length barrels. The new M-22 Subsonic features a 45-grain black-plated lead round nose bullet that has the equivalent energy of full velocity 36-grain rimfire products. In addition, the M-22 Subsonic utilizes non-corrosive priming and clean burning powder for reduced muzzle flash.

The M-22 Subsonic was also created with suppressed firearms in mind, but performs just as well in unsuppressed rifles and handguns. During Winchester testing, M-22 Subsonic rounds measured 129 dB from an unsuppressed rifle. That is significantly quieter than a full velocity .22 LR fired from a suppressed rifle, which typically measures around 138 db. With the addition of a suppressor, M-22 Subsonic achieves a remarkably quiet 116 db.
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why there are no standard or sub sonic bulk type options? There are actually very few value options being produced right now, but I wonder if we'll see like a 40 grain standard velocity American Eagle 400 round box eventually at reasonable plinker prices
Link Posted: 2/26/2017 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Doubtful as most people looking for standard velocity ammo use it in competition where bulk grade ammo simply doesn't even come close to adequate accuracy for the intended purposes. Bulk packs are marketed at the budget minded tin can plinker and rarely will you find a gun functions at its best mechanically or accuracy wise with such ammo.
Link Posted: 2/27/2017 5:41:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Most bulk 22lr is going to be subsonic in a 4" pistol.

All out of my 4" MKIII

Winchester Super X   955.20 FPS
Remington Golden Bullet  957.00  FPS
CCI Standard Velocity (1070 FPS on box) 900.89  FPS

Heck even CCI Mini Mags are subs in a 4"

CCI Mini Mag 1026.60  FPS
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 8:56:25 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm partial to CCI standard velocity (1,070 FPS, IIRC) or CCI subsonic (1,050 FPS, IIRC) but that's just me.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 9:05:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Federal bulk packs stay subsonic in my M&P22 pistol. I save my CCI Standard Velocity ammo for the rifles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:03:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm partial to CCI standard velocity (1,070 FPS, IIRC) or CCI subsonic (1,050 FPS, IIRC) but that's just me.
View Quote

Same
Link Posted: 2/28/2017 3:52:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the Gemtech silencer subsonic. Not the cheapest but far from the most expensive.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:02:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Federal has a new round coming out called a Hunting Match load. Looks promising
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top