Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/30/2017 7:55:41 PM EDT
Are these reliable?
I've had good luck with mecgar in other pistols...
Link Posted: 1/31/2017 2:48:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Interested as well. I suspect mecgar is the oem for 22/45 mags but hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge steps in
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:38:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a 50/50 mix of mkiii ruger and mecgar magazines. There are some minor physical differences between them. The button on the side of the mecgar is slightly smaller than the factory ruger mag. If you disassemble both mags, the bodies look identical to me.
I cannot tell any difference in the operation between the two. I don't think I will be buying any more as I have about 60 total. I have about 10 for each pistol. You can make a 22/45 mag into a regular mkiii mag by switching the base. Parts are also interchangeable between the ruger and the mecgar.
All being said, I would buy mecgar mags because they are cheaper.
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 2:41:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a 50/50 mix of mkiii ruger and mecgar magazines. There are some minor physical differences between them. The button on the side of the mecgar is slightly smaller than the factory ruger mag. If you disassemble both mags, the bodies look identical to me.
I cannot tell any difference in the operation between the two. I don't think I will be buying any more as I have about 60 total. I have about 10 for each pistol. You can make a 22/45 mag into a regular mkiii mag by switching the base. Parts are also interchangeable between the ruger and the mecgar.
All being said, I would buy mecgar mags because they are cheaper.
View Quote

Good to go
Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2017 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Interested as well. I suspect mecgar is the oem for 22/45 mags but hopefully someone with firsthand knowledge steps in
View Quote

As already mentioned, no they are not OEM. Some companies, like CDNN, try to advertise them as made from the same factory as OEM. However, they are not made off the same machines.

I have had good results with them. I run more factory mags since I came across sales on them cheaper then the after market mags.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 4:55:12 PM EDT
[#5]
I have 3 for my 22/45 and 1 for my MKIII Hunter.
All have worked as well as the factory magazines.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy more.
Link Posted: 2/4/2017 6:31:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have 3 for my 22/45 and 1 for my MKIII Hunter.
All have worked as well as the factory magazines.
Wouldn't hesitate to buy more.
View Quote

Good news!
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:39:32 AM EDT
[#7]
I have had no problems with any of the Mec Gar MkIII mags I have.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 2:59:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes they are reliable and I have more use them more than the stock 22/45 ruger mags.  A benefit over the stock ruger is that mecgar takes after market parts better.  I can install the +1 spring loaded bump plates and the +1 follower in the mecgar but not the rugers.  I can only do one or the other with the rugers I have.  11 in the stock ruger and 12 in the mecgars.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:06:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yes they are reliable and I have more use them more than the stock 22/45 ruger mags.  A benefit over the stock ruger is that mecgar takes after market parts better.  I can install the +1 spring loaded bump plates and the +1 follower in the mecgar but not the rugers.  I can only do one or the other with the rugers I have.  11 in the stock ruger and 12 in the mecgars.
View Quote

I had no idea that there were +1 base and followers for them.  Thanks for bringing that up.  Ill have to grab a few.
Link Posted: 2/11/2017 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah they make my gun a 12 round magazine and they look like this

They have a spring loaded plastic peg that launches the magazines out of the grip with authority. Plus you can put them in much quicker too.
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 10:48:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah they make my gun a 12 round magazine and they look like this
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/404018/90221.JPG
They have a spring loaded plastic peg that launches the magazines out of the grip with authority. Plus you can put them in much quicker too.
View Quote

Very sexy. Links to sites to make them +2?
Link Posted: 2/12/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Very sexy. Links to sites to make them +2?
View Quote

This guy sells a +2 follower, but seems kinda iffy on loading the 12th round.  I ordered a few to test
http://www.makershot.com/ruger-advanced-kit/

Here is the +1 basepads.
https://www.tandemkross.com/Plus1-PRO-Magazine-Bumpers-2-PACK_p_12.html
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 5:52:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This guy sells a +2 follower, but seems kinda iffy on loading the 12th round.  I ordered a few to test
http://www.makershot.com/ruger-advanced-kit/
View Quote

Just FYI I received my +2 followers.  Work like a champ in my 22/45 mecgar mags  All 3 load the 12 rounds with no fiddling around.  Fired at least 300 rounds through them today, no problems.

These +2's will not work with ruger factory magazines, at all.  Mecgars only.  The little button on the side of the factory mag will not stay in with these installed.  I tried 3 different style of MKIII and 2 different MKII mags.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top