Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2017 5:11:59 PM EDT
I have read that Ruger is no longer supporting parts for these pistols going forward. The parts that are out there is all that there will be for individuals. Is that true?

Will gunsmiths still be able to order the parts if they break? As an example, I tried finding some MKI fixed sights or recoil spring assembly's and have had no luck. Everything is "discontinued."

I know there are some parts available, but what happens when they dry up? Aftermarket only at x10 the cost?

Your thoughts? Should I buy parts now for my collection?
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 5:55:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I bought 3 of each spare part that wears out last year as i thought this may happen at some point

Buy now and you wont ever have to worry about spare parts.

At some point these models will be parted out for parts as more money can be made that way.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:04:53 PM EDT
[#2]
one has to wonder where their heads are at, not to support the one pistol that started the whole company and it's progeny......does any one know of a good source of parts kits?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#3]
There are quite a few parts on e-bay right now.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 2:33:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Although aftermarket parts will almost certainly continue to be available; discontinuing parts support for their products such a short time after the introduction of the MK lVs is a punk move by Ruger, especially considering the number of brand new MK llls that are still in the retail pipeline.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:07:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although aftermarket parts will almost certainly continue to be available; discontinuing parts support for their products such a short time after the introduction of the MK lVs is a punk move by Ruger, especially considering the number of brand new MK llls that are still in the retail pipeline.
View Quote
I've never considered it a good sign business wise when a company does something like this.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 3:57:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I see more MK III pistols around here than MK4's.  I'm guessing here, but I would think that the recoil spring for the MK4 should work with the other Mark pistols?
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 7:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
one has to wonder where their heads are at, not to support the one pistol that started the whole company and it's progeny......does any one know of a good source of parts kits?
View Quote

Volquartsen probably.

For example:
https://www.volquartsen.com/inventory_configurations/1086
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 8:18:18 PM EDT
[#8]
I worry for one:
Guns tend not to wear out or break very often if properly handled. There are plenty of 100+ year old guns running fine on all original parts
Two:
Betweenness suppliers like jack first sarco and such parts will be available for these guns long after we are pushing up daisies
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Went to a local, large used gun dealer and he was flooded with MKIII's. He said people were trading them in for MKIV's.

Looking at a MKIII, stainless 6 7/8 barrel, slabside that I can get for $320. Comes with the Ruger scope mount attached.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 12:48:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I will buy all the MK 2's and 3's I can if the price really begins to crash on them.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:33:46 PM EDT
[#11]
I've had some spare parts for my Ruger MKIII for several years but just put them up for sale because I'm going to sell it and buy a MKIV.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#12]
What would you recommend for a stash to support a MKIII?
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 4:55:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Went to a local, large used gun dealer and he was flooded with MKIII's. He said people were trading them in for MKIV's.

Looking at a MKIII, stainless 6 7/8 barrel, slabside that I can get for $320. Comes with the Ruger scope mount attached.
View Quote

I would buy that all day long for that money. I bought a mkIII last year in the 5 inch blued and paid $275. I would gladly pay $50 more for the gun you described.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 5:31:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I would buy that all day long for that money. I bought a mkIII last year in the 5 inch blued and paid $275. I would gladly pay $50 more for the gun you described.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It has wood thumbrest grips and is a slabside "COMPETITION TARGET" model. Put it on layaway.
Link Posted: 1/26/2017 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I bought 3 of each spare part that wears out last year as i thought this may happen at some point

Buy now and you wont ever have to worry about spare parts.

At some point these models will be parted out for parts as more money can be made that way.
View Quote

So, what wears out? I've got a couple and hate to go hunt parts.
Link Posted: 2/3/2017 5:51:06 PM EDT
[#16]
There is a huge aftermarket for Ruger Mk series pistols. I doubt we will ever run out of replacement parts, too many of these guns are in use for the market to ignore.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 11:56:59 AM EDT
[#17]
Only things I've had to replace were bolt/slide stop and firing pins. Ymmv
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#18]
I've only replaced one mainspring.

And the ball bearing that goes on top of it  
Link Posted: 2/6/2017 11:33:30 AM EDT
[#19]
Where have you read this?

Ruger rebuilt one of our club Mk. I's last year, for free.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 9:43:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Where have you read this?

Ruger rebuilt one of our club Mk. I's last year, for free.
View Quote

I meant ordering parts directly from Ruger. Their shopruger.com website has far less parts than it used to. Couple of other sites have also mentioned that they have tightened up parts and services.
Link Posted: 2/7/2017 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#21]
Parts for the Standard and Mk1 have been long absent from Ruger unless the part was the same on a Mk3.  It was quite a quest to find a replacement sear spring for my 1957 made Standard.  Never mind replacement stocks or magazines that work...

If there's a customer demand, someone will pick up the slack.

It there's no demand, then we're going to have paperweights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top