Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/15/2016 10:02:08 AM EDT
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 11:53:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
If one wanted to do some backyard plinking with a 6" barreled .22 revolver and wanted the quietest round possible to do that, what would one look for?

CB Caps?

I've shoot some the Aguila "powderless" Long Rifles with the little 20gr conical bullet but they were still fairly loud from a pistol. (they're very quiet from a rifle).

View Quote

22 shorts
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:07:28 PM EDT
[#2]
CCI CB, short or long.
Link Posted: 11/15/2016 12:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

If one wanted to do some backyard plinking with a 6" barreled .22 revolver and wanted the quietest round possible to do that, what would one look for?

CB Caps?

I've shoot some the Aguila "powderless" Long Rifles with the little 20gr conical bullet but they were still fairly loud from a pistol. (they're very quiet from a rifle).

View Quote

Was it the Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri.  The Colibri will be quieter if you can find them.  I

CCI CB Short or CB Long would be the next thing I would try.  

If you can find them RWS still makes a CB and BB cap.  It's even shorter than a 22 Short.  I would bet those would be quite if you can find it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 7:24:16 PM EDT
[#4]
The Aguila colibri is what u seek. They are amazingly quiet. Love shooting them out of revolvers. NAA is a blast.Box says shoot out of pistol only. But super quiet out of rifle. All of this has a cost-very low powered rounds.
Link Posted: 11/20/2016 8:08:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Aguila colibri is what u seek. They are amazingly quiet. Love shooting them out of revolvers. NAA is a blast.Box says shoot out of pistol only. But super quiet out of rifle. All of this has a cost-very low powered rounds.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/21/2016 8:32:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Way more fun with no fooling around with a "real" gun.

https://www.amazon.com/Smith-Wesson-SWMPP-Airgun-Medium/dp/B005116QN8

The M&P Umarex is the best feel of their line, has nice sights and will hit pop cans at ten yards.  And shred them.  Hang two on one of those H shaped yard sign holders and you are good to go.

One CO2 lasts at least four magazines, 80 shots.

They make a Colt revolver version with little cylinders too, but more complicated to use.

http://t.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=66267556
Link Posted: 11/24/2016 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#7]
We've run CBs in our SP101 and yes it's like popping a cap gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Was it the Aguila Colibri or Super Colibri.  The Colibri will be quieter if you can find them.  
View Quote

Yeah, no .22 ammo that is available will be quieter than the Colibri.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:24:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Yeah, no .22 ammo that is available will be quieter than the Colibri.
View Quote

That's what I have used in my 617.  Its quieter than a cap gun.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#10]
There is a good article that covers this in the current AMERICAN HANDGUNNER magazine.

CB caps
CB long
Quiet 22

These are the rounds you seek, all from CCI.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:14:06 PM EDT
[#11]
Colibri out of a handgun is quiet as hell because there's no powder in the case, only a strong primer.

The manufacturer recommends Super Colibri for rifles because it's slightly more powerful which they say prevents bullets from getting stuck in the bore.

Lots of folk shoot the regular colibri in rifles and handguns but I do as Aguilla recommends.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 1:47:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Those 60 grain subsonic .22's are pretty quiet but don't stabilize in all guns.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:08:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was actually shocked at how loud Colibri is out of this 6" barreled revolver. It left my ears ringing.
View Quote

And I thought I had sensitive hearing.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 11:08:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I was actually shocked at how loud Colibri is out of this 6" barreled revolver. It left my ears ringing.

Regular or Super Colibri?
Link Posted: 1/15/2017 10:27:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I gotta agree with everyone here. The Colibri are super quiet. They are kind of pricey but I try to pick up a couple boxes whenever I can find them. I shoot them in my backyard from time to time. I use my Heritage Rough rider revolver, and my Marlin 795. Of course you have to cycle the semi auto manually. And I always make sure I listen for the projectile to hit, don't want to find out what would happen with one of those stuck in the bore.

I've been wanting to give the CB shorts a try, just haven't got around to it.
Link Posted: 1/18/2017 8:21:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Regular or Super Colibri?
View Quote

I had a brick each of regular Colibri and Super Colibri that I shot with my Ruger Single-Six. In my basement. In a crowded neighborhood.

Sounds like a kid's cap gun (for those of you old enough to remember them).

Only complaint was that accuracy was poor (24-foot range, shooting at 1-inch and 2-inch target pasters on a large, well-constructed bullet trap).

I ended up giving them away to a friend of mine. Who will end up giving them away to someone else.

I had better results shooting CCI CB Caps and CCI CB Longs. The CB Longs were amazingly accurate.

Now I shoot CCI Quiet .22. They're fairly quiet but, unlike the above mentioned, require ear protection.

And yes, my basement is decently soundproof, so the neighbors don't start running to their safe spaces.
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 11:14:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

It IS a revolver.  The barrel/cylinder gap is the main source of your noise.  And it comes back towards you rather than away from you.
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 8:57:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Colibri is very quiet out of my wife's 5 1/2 inch barrel Single Six Convertible.

Sounds like a cap gun almost.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top