Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/18/2016 10:57:03 AM EDT
Last thing on my list of things to buy prior to election is a rimfire semi auto pistol.  Already have a revolver.  Can't really swing more than $350, but I could buy once/cry once and go $400 but that's my hard ceiling.  

Purpose:  All around gun, but mostly for my kids.  Target shooting at range, but may see some time in the woods plinking.

Rugers are an easy option.  Accurate, reliable, and can be found in my price range.  I've owned a MK III before but sold it because to be honest I hated tearing it down to clean it.  I know Ruger has the new model with the easy break down, but it will be exceedingly higher than my funding allows.

I've looked at the Ruger SR22 with threaded barrel, but I've heard its not the most accurate of pistols.

We use Browning Buckmarks as firearms instructors to help our officers with flinches.  Again, solid, accurate and reliable, and in my price range.

So, what is the general consensus for the best all around semi auto in the $350 range?  Open to anything I haven't already listed.  Ruger will probably be the way I go, but not married to it. Especially when I start remembering how tearing down/reassembling which will probably drive me to drinking.

Thanks in advance

Well, she's in.  Picked it up from the FFL, took it to our range and put 50 rnds through it.  Mags don't drop (knew they wouldn't, mod ready), trigger was stiff (knew it would be, mod ready) however balance was very nice and gun went bang with a mishmosh of rounds I had in my office.  Mods are in route.  

Forgot how much fun it is to shoot a .22 pistol.  I'm really thinking about buying a Glock conversion but may still buy an SR22 or the S&W equivalent.  Had a chance to shoot both of them and enjoyed them as well.  This is probably my last gun purchase for a while.  Currently trying to learn more about Form 1 suppressor builds.  

Oh, and while everyone knows what they look like this picture would be useless without pictures...

Link Posted: 10/18/2016 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Smith Victory Model and 22A are solid performers.  I have a Ruger 22R and it seems accurate enough and has been surprisingly reliable.  Most of the other small 22s are best avoided.

Buckmarks are good.  They tend to require a little more TLC than Rugers.  Rugers are just about bullet proof.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:03:21 PM EDT
[#2]
The new Ruger MkIV is allegedly much easier to take down and strip.  Buckmark would be my other choice.  Only two I'd consider, if it was me.

PS - I have a Walther P22.  Bought it for my kids.  It sucks.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I love my Ruger 22/45. That said I just picked up an M&P22c. Slickest little gun I've held in a while.
Link Posted: 10/18/2016 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Considering your budget constraints I would look for old used classics- high standards some euro guns and so on. I have a hyper accurate smith 422 that I paid under $300 for last year, relentlessly reliable. My first hish standard was a used 1950's era model bought off a bullseye shooter who put tens of thousands of rounds through it. This was back before anybody did spring replacement schedules like today. I put 2--3 cases of 22 a year through that gun for 15 more years before it did actually wear out.
Link Posted: 10/19/2016 8:56:18 AM EDT
[#5]

The new Ruger MkIV is allegedly much easier to take down and strip. Buckmark would be my other choice. Only two I'd consider, if it was me.

PS - I have a Walther P22. Bought it for my kids. It sucks.
View Quote

As stated, this would be high on my list but with an MSRP of over $700, even retail won't come close before the election.  Thanks for the heads up on the Walther

"I love my Ruger 22/45. That said I just picked up an M&P22c. Slickest little gun I've held in a while."

Enjoyed shooting the Ruger, hated disassembling and reassembling them.  Interesting on the M&P22c.  Looks like something both my kids could handle, and suppressor ready.

"Considering your budget constraints I would look for old used classics- high standards some euro guns and so on."

I'll have to consider this.  Although my knowledge of obscure euro .22's is, well, obscure and I don't want to buy a boat anchor.

Thank you all for the responses, and feel free to keep em coming!

Link Posted: 10/19/2016 10:52:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I love my Beretta 71. It just runs like a Swiss watch. Takes 10 minutes to take the fake suppressor off.

Beretta 71's at J&G
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 5:24:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I am partial to the Ruger Marks. While I agree with you they are a pain to reassemble, Ruger has sold hundreds of thousands of these pistols; therefore the goods must have outweighed the bads. I believe with practice, reassembling them is not as bad as it seems. My next choices would be the Browning or the Smith Victory.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:21:01 AM EDT
[#8]
Another vote for the S&W M&P22c. It can be had for $290-330 depending on sales and mags are $19. Mine's been rock solid so far and easy for new shooters to use! Suppressor ready (static barrel) and otherwise pretty feature-full.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#9]
The Ruger SR 22 is as accurate as any tactical style .22 in its price range.

It comes with two grip palm swells and it's a great gun for kids at the range and in the field and the DA/SA with decocker/safety is a terrific system for new shooters.

My wife's has proven plenty accurate and as reliable as the ammunition allows; she shoots it every week and it's been holding up very well.

They come in long and short slide/barrel lengths.
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 11:49:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Look for a Browning Buckmark.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 12:04:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Well, for the price I couldn't pass it up.  I went the Ruger path (again).

$386 shipped

Link Posted: 10/21/2016 9:58:34 AM EDT
[#12]

The blue shark gilled one my wife owns has been accurate and very reliable with all sorts of ammunition, but it  needs some upgrades in order that she can slingshot it and so that the mags fall free when the mag release is manipulated.

It can use a better trigger too but the triggers improve on their own as the round count grows.

Nice choice, good luck with it.
Link Posted: 10/21/2016 2:14:40 PM EDT
[#13]
I am in the market too (not a thread jacking) and am replacing my 22/45 as I hated it and it didn't run very well to be honest either.  It seems the PPQ-22 and the full-size M&P22 are the same gun just in different shells (pick your flavor of grip angle)  The M&P 22 Compact is a totally different animal built and warrantied by S&W themselves (?).  I am leaning towards that because it ships with two mags unlike the PPQ-22.  Although, I am seriously giving thought to the newest P22Q that is on sale for $239 shipped as it comes with two mags, the upgrades have strengthened the gun, and I am a tinkerer and don't fear having to do a little fluff and buff to make it perfect.  Lord knows there are plenty of them out there with thousands of rounds through them.  That price is hard to sneeze at.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 12:03:56 PM EDT
[#14]
well, took wifey into Cabelas last night and she immediately ruled out the P22, loved the PPQ, was okay with the M&P22 Compact.  In the end, the PPQ won out so I ordered one brand new-free shipping off gunbroker from northern firearms for $279.99 shipped. Cabelas wanted $399.99 LOLOLOLOLOL.  Got a spare mag coming too.  I've ordered from Northern off GB before and they are great.  Ship fast and don't upcharge for CC's.  Love it.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:09:45 PM EDT
[#15]
My Stainless Buckmark Camper has been great. $350 lots of places. They have models that cost more. I have not seen an advantage in performance with the higher priced Buckmarks. The new Ruger is special. The takedown ease is worth the additional $300 IMHO. The Buckmark is a pain in the ass to disassemble/clean/reassemble.
Link Posted: 10/22/2016 10:17:47 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got a 22/45, but this is what I reach for now when shooting  a .22 pistol.

DSC_2692_MP22C-Sparrow-lzn by FredMan, on Flickr
Link Posted: 10/23/2016 3:10:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The Ruger SR22 is great. Loved mine, ate everything.
Was a gift for the ex, so she had it now, and I bought a Walther PPQ22 (NOT P22)
I love it. Great ergos (now I want it in 9mm and 45ACP)
My only gripe is inconsistent LRBHO. But I haven't attempted any fixes like a slightly diff recoil spring. Minimags are the only ones that do consistently. Even with that..I love it.

Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:10:21 PM EDT
[#18]
I've been trying to teach my 1st grader to shoot a handgun.  We're starting from a rest as hand strength is still an issue.  

Ruger Bearcat and Heritage Rough Rider were tried first.  Sights were abysmal and cocking the hammer was tough.

22/45 LITE w/ Spectre II was up next.  An improvement, but the sights were still meh.

S&W Victory w/ Spectre II is what we've been using the most.  The fiber optic sights are easy to see and easy to align.  It's front heavy with the steel bull barrel and the can makes it even heavier.  But the can means we can practice without wearing ear pro if we're alone at the range.
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:39:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am partial to the Ruger Marks. While I agree with you they are a pain to reassemble, Ruger has sold hundreds of thousands of these pistols; therefore the goods must have outweighed the bads. I believe with practice, reassembling them is not as bad as it seems. My next choices would be the Browning or the Smith Victory.
View Quote

Yes after cleaning a Rugers a few times they are simple to take down and reassemble. There is just a procedure to putting it back together, follow it and it takes no time. There are several youtube videos

I don't think you could go wrong with a Ruger or Buckmark
Link Posted: 10/24/2016 10:44:54 PM EDT
[#20]

I would suggest a Smith&Wesson Victory model.  I bought mine about 4 months ago and have found it to be a excellent pistol. It is easy to clean and shoots everything from sub-sonic to crap Armscorp ammo without issue.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:43:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

https://gastatic.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/Smith-Wesson-Victory-23-1024x683.jpg

I would suggest a Smith&Wesson Victory model.  I bought mine about 4 months ago and have found it to be a excellent pistol. It is easy to clean and shoots everything from sub-sonic to crap Armscorp ammo without issue.

View Quote

That is a very nice looking pistol
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:52:30 PM EDT
[#22]
Have you got a Glock?

The Advantage Arms conversion I have for my G19 is solid.  It works as it is supposed to and it has been acceptably accurate.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#23]
12 of them.  I'll look into them.  My experience with caliber converters has been...dismal
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:09:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
12 of them.  I'll look into them.  My experience with caliber converters has been...dismal
View Quote

Yea, they can be hit or miss.  I have had both Tac Sol and Advantage Arms conversions for the Glock (9mm versions).  I prefer the Advantage Arms.  It has been more reliable by far.

The only downside is they are slightly different in slide profile so they may not fit all your holsters.  That stinks if you purchase the kit with the intention of doing draw and fire exercise with it.

I also have the Tac Sol, which does fit holsters but it has been WAY finickier than the Advantage Arms in functioning.

Also keep your eyes peeled for quality older High Standard pistols.  They shoot!  The older Hamden CT guns are top notch in quality.  Do some research and you may find a real peach out there for not a lot of money.  You may find a Supermatic Trophy out there that needs a new home.

I bought a Hammerli Trailside for cheap when Sig dumped the line.  They are still made under a different name but the older ones are OK and can be found for smallish money.  I paid 275 bucks for mine.

The Buckmarks are solid guns as you know.  They shoot quite well.  

Best of luck!
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 4:14:53 PM EDT
[#25]
If I ever see one of these for under $800 I'll snatch it up immeadiatly . Aptly named the "87"

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:21:45 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

If I ever see one of these for under $800 I'll snatch it up immeadiatly . Aptly named the "87"

http://www.beretta.com/assets/0/15/DimGalleryLarge/87target_zoom001.jpg
View Quote

Now see?  That thing right there is damned sexy!  But I'm not giving that to my kids.  That would be a present for dear ol' dad...
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 5:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yea, they can be hit or miss.  I have had both Tac Sol and Advantage Arms conversions for the Glock (9mm versions).  I prefer the Advantage Arms.  It has been more reliable by far.

The only downside is they are slightly different in slide profile so they may not fit all your holsters.  That stinks if you purchase the kit with the intention of doing draw and fire exercise with it.

I also have the Tac Sol, which does fit holsters but it has been WAY finickier than the Advantage Arms in functioning.

Also keep your eyes peeled for quality older High Standard pistols.  They shoot!  The older Hamden CT guns are top notch in quality.  Do some research and you may find a real peach out there for not a lot of money.  You may find a Supermatic Trophy out there that needs a new home.

I bought a Hammerli Trailside for cheap when Sig dumped the line.  They are still made under a different name but the older ones are OK and can be found for smallish money.  I paid 275 bucks for mine.

Best of luck!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Best of luck!

Looks like I'm out of luck on the Advantage Arms.  I do not shoot Gen 4's.  No Gen 3 adapter for G17.  

Disregard!   Found it!
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 9:20:11 PM EDT
[#28]
Took the new ppq22 to the range this AM.  150 flawless, love it
Link Posted: 10/29/2016 10:41:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

isnt it great?
Link Posted: 10/30/2016 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

isnt it great?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

isnt it great?

It's actually better than great.  My wife was smiling ear to ear and actually running excellent groups.  She loves it some much more than the 22/45 we replaced it with, she was ecstatic.  Happy wife=happy life
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 2:12:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm waiting for the 22/45 to be delivered...already looking at mod's.  No RMR, I want them using iron's at first.  
Link Posted: 10/31/2016 9:40:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Buckmark and call it a day . I hated my Ruger  for the same reason you did and went Buckmark and never looked back .  On a budget look at the older 999 High Standard revolvers , they are durable and tend to be good shooters
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 3:35:31 PM EDT
[#33]
If you do the Tandemkross bushing, tear down, and reassembly is much easier.
Link Posted: 11/5/2016 6:51:21 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

If you do the Tandemkross bushing, tear down, and reassembly is much easier.
View Quote

Supposed to arrive next week.  I bought the "kit" that includes all the suggested upgrades

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top