Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/15/2016 8:11:21 PM EDT
I have always looked at those but have never got one. Just curious if they are really more accurate inherently.
Link Posted: 10/16/2016 3:21:17 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, it is a custom made Ruger MKIII (without the magazine safety) that is very well machined.  The barrel is an insert of sorts that is approximately the same diameter as the bolt and is securely mounted in place inside the aluminum upper.  Technically my gun isn't a Scorpion as mine is a parts gun that was fully assembled into a scorpion over time.  As far as accuracy goes:  I shoot in Bullseye competitions where accuracy is the primary concern.  If you're not familiar with the sport you shoot one handed at 25 and 50 yards with a set time limit.  

The gun works extremely well as it is extremely accurate and reliable.  I don't shoot many guns well at 50 yards but this one makes 50 yard shooting easy.  On a normal day it will easily shoot inside the ten ring with many in the X-ring of a B-8 NRA/CMP target.   Of course the .22LR cartridge is inherently very accurate so as long as the barrel is made by someone who isn't a 'tard it will be very accurate.  I have linked a video below showing off its potential capabilities at 100 yards.  It only shows a five shot group but it does illustrate its consistency and accuracy fairly well.

If you already have a Ruger (with a full steel upper) and you are worried about accuracy you could send it off to Ten Ring Precision to have the barrel re-lined which will likely up your accuracy slightly.  http://www.tenring.com/ruger-mark-ii-govt-model-rimfire-22-accuracy/  This is fairly common with older .22's or with existing guns needing more accuracy.  Additionally, you might contact Volquartsen or Clark custom as they may offer to install one of their ( both excellent) barrels.

Here is a picture of mine.  I added the 3D printed mount for the Brass weight as it wasn't heavy enough for me.  The grips shown are also no longer on the gun as it is currently getting some newer better fit to my hand grips made.  

This is not my video, but the accuracy of these guns is really excellent.  This is 50 meter free pistol level accuracy at 100 yards!  Skip to 52 seconds to see the test.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Link Posted: 10/20/2016 2:29:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine also were parts made into Scorpions. I haven't bench rested either(6" has been sold to a buddy), but I did have a headshot on a jackrabbit at 35 yards freehand which I don't think my factory Mark III could have done with the CCI SV that I was using that day. Great guns, good luck.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 7:43:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mine also were parts made into Scorpions. I haven't bench rested either(6" has been sold to a buddy), but I did have a headshot on a jackrabbit at 35 yards freehand which I don't think my factory Mark III could have done with the CCI SV that I was using that day. Great guns, good luck.
http://i680.photobucket.com/albums/vv165/slipjett/IMG_6986_zpsleaeoaxo.jpg
View Quote

Which do you prefer?  4.5 or 6?  My use would be the occasional speed steel match, shooting suppressed, and carry into the woods for "pests". Leaning toward the 4.5.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 10:51:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Which do you prefer?  4.5 or 6?  My use would be the occasional speed steel match, shooting suppressed, and carry into the woods for "pests". Leaning toward the 4.5.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4.5" for suppressed shooting and packing into the woods and it would be accurate enough for occasional speed steel match. Good luck, awesome guns for sure.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the six inch for bullseye matches as it has a longer sight radius which is always preferred.  I would agree that the 4.5 inch sounds like it would suit your needs better.
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Do they all come threaded for the accessory rail on the bottom?
Link Posted: 10/25/2016 8:35:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

4.5" for suppressed shooting and packing into the woods and it would be accurate enough for occasional speed steel match. Good luck, awesome guns for sure.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also, why Didn't you get the Volquartsen bolts?  I prefer the flush look of yours honestly, but all of the complete scorpions come with the "upgraded" bolt.

Link Posted: 10/25/2016 9:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do they all come threaded for the accessory rail on the bottom?
View Quote

I believe you have to ask for them to do that.  Which is why in he picture of mine I have a 3D printed chassis for mounting additional weight.

And the VQ bolts are slightly heavier which means more recoil or rather, more muzzle flip.  This can be an issue if you shoot for Bullseye or for speed.

My gun has the VQ bolt and I would go either way for my purposes but the VQ bolt is a really nice thumbsaver.  Honestly, if you want the convenience go for the VQ bolt.  They are fairly expensive however...

ETA: Another brand you might consider is Oregon Precision Arms.

Personally, I have no reason to switch except for reasons of variety.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top