Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/22/2016 8:39:17 PM EDT
The NRA Facebook page posted about a coming soon Ruger Mk IV that's supposed to be one button takedown and easier reassembly. The barrel assembly just tips on and off and the bolt assembly slides in and out. No more PITA takedown pin.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 8:58:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Here is it. Looks really nice.

Ruger MK IV
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:04:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Want

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:11:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Here is a video on it. Watching now. I want!!

Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:34:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Nice seeing the new takedown.
Link Posted: 9/22/2016 9:57:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Lol, I literally just bought a Mark III 2 days ago.
It's all good. This is just a fun gun, I don't need the newest bells and whistles on a simple plinker.

EDIT: Wow. MSRP makes me glade I got a Mk III
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:09:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's all good. This is just a fun gun, I don't need the newest bells and whistles on a simple plinker.

View Quote

Ouch starting MSRP is $529.

I dislike the Ruger Mark series a lot but this model did solve a lot of my complaints and I *might* try one if they come out with a 3.5'' threaded model with a 45* grip.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 12:46:18 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a MK III Target Bull Barrel, I had threaded for my first suppressor. It's not that difficult to strip, clean and put back together. Great gun. If they offered a threaded version I might consider getting another one.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 7:01:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've got a MKlll Hunter for a Fathers Day present that's been terrific.

I shoot it a couple of times a week and although  list price was $729.00 it cost my wife $499 NIB when .22 was almost impossible to find.

It's not that difficult to strip downed, but ive been doing it only every 3,000 rounds between which I clean it like a revolver after every range trip.

The new MKlV list for only 40 bucks more and worth it iMO, but it probably won't be found discounted much for a while.

If I can find one at a decent price I'll buy it but if I can find a slab side MKlll for reall cheap because the new models came out; I'll snatch it up  it instead.

I've got a feeling that the MKllls are going to drop in price big time.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:16:54 AM EDT
[#9]
If they come out with one with a factory threaded barrel, I WILL buy one. Heck, I may even buy one and have it sent off to Adco for threading. Ambi-safety? Yes please!
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
I hope it makes the price of the older versions come down a bit.  I have never had an issue with the old system.....although I HATE the mag safety crap.

But that does look slick.

Doc
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 8:59:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If they come out with one with a factory threaded barrel, I WILL buy one. Heck, I may even buy one and have it sent off to Adco for threading. Ambi-safety? Yes please!
View Quote

I hope Ruger is reading all of the threads mentioning threaded barrels. Good point about ambi safeties, too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2016 9:18:27 PM EDT
[#12]
NICE!  I have several MkII's.  I will eventually get a MkIV
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 2:56:22 AM EDT
[#13]
MKII gov't model, MKII slab side, and MK III hunter owner here.  I really don't have an issue with the take down reassembly process on these.  It just takes patience.

That said, I've pretty much moved on from ruger semi-autos.  The MKII's are keepers.  The MKIII hunter I have has one of the worst triggers I've ever found anywhere, and often times the magazine gets hung up on something inside the frame when I put it in.  

I am glad to see they got rid of the LCI on these.  After they've been out for awhile and vetted by the public at large I'll maybe consider one, but in the meantime S&W victory and Browning buck mark are my new 22 semi auto friends.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2016 6:45:09 PM EDT
[#14]
For grouchy old farts like me, they need to make one with the original tapered barrel profile too, in either blue or stainless
Link Posted: 9/25/2016 7:23:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
For grouchy old farts like me, they need to make one with the original tapered barrel profile too, in either blue or stainless
View Quote

I'm only 29, I'd buy a tapered barrel one that was blued, I like the looks of that better than the bull barrel.
Link Posted: 9/26/2016 7:44:03 PM EDT
[#16]
I know I want one..................stainless please.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:09:07 AM EDT
[#17]
I think this new MK lV is going to shove  the Browning Buckmark and the S&W Victory way to the rear of the bus, especially the Victory, since quite a few owners are having problems with the takedown screw system that's causing the scews to become lodged in place impossible to remove.

Volquartsen has probably been working on after market MK lV trigger and magazine safety parts too.

Link Posted: 9/27/2016 8:58:09 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Volquartsen has probably been working on after market MK lV trigger and magazine safety parts too.

View Quote

I wouldn't be surprised if the MK IV uses the same parts as previous generations.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 9:59:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I wouldn't be surprised if the MK IV uses the same parts as previous generations.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some parts, yes. From what I've heard, the trigger is different. Mags are the same.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 5:30:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't believe it does.

For one thing, the triggers are not interchangeable with earlier MK Series pistols and of course the uppers are different.

BTW: I  broke my MKlll Hunter down for cleaning earlier today and it was as easy as pie.

After a sufficient number of rounds has been fired through the pistol and it has been taken down a couple of times, the mainspring housing pin slides right out, and then back in again effortlessly.

Not saying that the new takedown system insn't vastly superior though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2016 7:40:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Out and the hunter is available n Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 9/30/2016 9:41:04 PM EDT
[#22]
$524 at Centerfire Systems

Ruger MK IV
Link Posted: 10/1/2016 10:43:43 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd only buy this if they come out with a threaded barrel version.  Otherwise...meh...
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:22:18 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm definitely buying one as soon as I can find it. I have the whole series -- Mark I, II, and III -- and this looks like the best yet.

One major complaint I've had with all the Marks is the "holster-ripper" front sight. Years ago, there was an aftermarket replacement called the "Sport-Site" but it is no longer made. Ruger apparently realized that some people were not happy with this sight, and now offers what it calls a "Standard Front Sight" in its web store.  http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-Standard-Front-Sight/productinfo/61018/

With the Mark IV, the loaded chamber indicator and the internal key lock are gone. That leaves the magazine disconnector as the last "lawyer-mandated" feature. We will figure out a way to remove it.

Regarding triggers, actually the stock trigger on the Mark I was pretty good. Not so much the triggers on the Marks II and III. I replaced those with Clark triggers. Apparently, the stock trigger on the Mark IV is acceptable. We shall see. I may or may not have to replace it.

The Weaver rail, which came included with the Mark III, is no longer part of the package. You have to buy it extra. Better yet, get the Picatinny rail.  http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-22_45-Picatinny-Rail/productinfo/90623/
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#25]
I'd only buy this if they come out with a threaded barrel version. Otherwise...meh...
View Quote

That's probably going to be the Mark V version. Ruger is probably waiting for suppressors to become more mainstream. But I doubt that they will ever offer a factory integral suppressor.

Link Posted: 10/3/2016 10:16:36 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm definitely buying one as soon as I can find it. I have the whole series -- Mark I, II, and III -- and this looks like the best yet.

One major complaint I've had with all the Marks is the "holster-ripper" front sight. Years ago, there was an aftermarket replacement called the "Sport-Site" but it is no longer made. Ruger apparently realized that some people were not happy with this sight, and now offers what it calls a "Standard Front Sight" in its web store.  http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-Standard-Front-Sight/productinfo/61018/

With the Mark IV, the loaded chamber indicator and the internal key lock are gone. That leaves the magazine disconnector as the last "lawyer-mandated" feature. We will figure out a way to remove it.

Regarding triggers, actually the stock trigger on the Mark I was pretty good. Not so much the triggers on the Marks II and III. I replaced those with Clark triggers. Apparently, the stock trigger on the Mark IV is acceptable. We shall see. I may or may not have to replace it.

The Weaver rail, which came included with the Mark III, is no longer part of the package. You have to buy it extra. Better yet, get the Picatinny rail.  http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-22_45-Picatinny-Rail/productinfo/90623/
View Quote

Interesting information; thanks.

I need one of these, I'd like a slab side competititon model to complement the MKlll Hunter I already own and love.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 4:38:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Saw a target and a hunter today.  Really slick.  I like it.  

I bought the target version in stainless.  The stainless version has a stainless steel frame (instead of anodized aluminum the blue one has) and does NOT have flutes.  

I'm going to send if off for threading in a couple of days.  About $550 out the door.
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 9:29:20 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I'd only buy this if they come out with a threaded barrel version.  Otherwise...meh...
View Quote

Bump
Link Posted: 10/6/2016 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#29]
One major complaint I've had with all the Marks is the "holster-ripper" front sight. Years ago, there was an aftermarket replacement called the "Sport-Site" but it is no longer made. Ruger apparently realized that some people were not happy with this sight, and now offers what it calls a "Standard Front Sight" in its web store. http://shopruger.com/Mark-IV-Mark-III-Standard-Front-Sight/productinfo/61018/
View Quote

Upon further investigation, it appears that this "Standard Front Sight" is too low for use with the Mark IV's adjustable rear sight. A better solution might be the ramp front sight from the Ruger Single Six (available as a part on ebay and elsewhere). It can be used as-is, or if you're a perfectionist, the bottom can be ground a bit to fit the Mark IV's bull barrel contour better. I used a Dremel grinding wheel of the same diameter as the barrel. If you're careful, the job looks absolutely professional. (If you're not careful, you could easily mess up the sight.)

View Quote

The Mark IV magazine disconnector wraps around the hammer on both sides (the hammer is inletted for it on both sides) instead of just on one side like in the Mark III. Therefore, if you remove the magazine disconnector, you have to replace the hammer either with a Mark II hammer, or with a Mark III hammer and a Tandemkross bushing. I imagine that eventually, Tandemkross will offer a double-sided bushing, so that the Mark IV hammer can be used. It looks like the Mark IV hammer has a large lightening hole, like the Volquartsen "speed" hammer.

The sear has also been redesigned. It looks like the old type sears can be used instead.

Clark steel triggers are still being produced, in batches. You can order one directly from Clark Custom Guns ($30, plus shipping, but well worth it). IMO, the Clark trigger is the best aftermarket trigger for the Mark series.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I prefer the classy "Luger" profile barrel of the original also. Really fit the styling cues of the gun and saved some weight and bulk in the process. Sad that it is not offered on the new model. They must think we are all competitive target shooters.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top